Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yup. He bought the building, fixed it up, and according to him he's going to about break-even on it, but I'd imagine he's raking in the dough on a lot of other buildings he owns.

People too often demonize making money. Yes, Gilbert is making money, but at the same time he's creating jobs and relocating jobs to a place that needs them.

I imagine that Lear wanted to own the building, so he sold it to him because it was very compatible with what he's trying to do downtown.
    Gilbert didn't create any jobs. Increased demand for the services Lear provides is what created those jobs.

All Gilbert did was purchase and upgrade the space that those jobs will now be housed in. Still a good thing, but I hate when CEOs are falsely credited with job creation.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Gilbert didn't create any jobs. Increased demand for the services Lear provides is what created those jobs.
    He created jobs with whatever renovations he had to do. Temporary jobs, perhaps, but still jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post

All Gilbert did was purchase and upgrade the space that those jobs will now be housed in. Still a good thing, but I hate when CEOs are falsely credited with job creation.
    That's a pretty narrow minded perspective. Who says Lear even bothers without having a building all ready to suit their needs. Are the additional jobs to come in the building already in Detroit? The building is probably a major reason they came.

Also consider this:

How much easier is it for prospective businesses to inquire/acquire buildings that are owned by Gilbert? He's not looking for huge payouts like some of the former owners of these properties would have. It's a streamlined system with lots of properties with easily transferable deeds.

I'm not saying he wouldn't stand to make out fat in the long run, but I love the way he is going about it. Sell some property and begin to increase demand/value for the others he owns. `

This city needed Gilbert so bad, just look how him and Duggan run around hand in hand. It's way better then just Illitch running around with his hands out.

I wonder if Gilbert has ever inquired into any Olympia owned buildings in GCP? I can't imagine he is real happy about the Olympia blight.