Chroma in Milwaukee Junction
MILWAUKEE JUNCTION RISING  »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Default Disturbances on Woodward Downtown

    Every night downtown there are groups of sketchy people outside of the Jazz liquor store on Woodward. I have witnessed multiple fights between these guys. They stay there for hours (literally every day) and just drink, talk trash to everyone who walks by, and fight. I hope this stops once Woodward develops more. There are "security" guards that patrol the streets sometimes by these guys will try and fight them too.

    Also, I am pretty sure there is no open intoxication downtown. That needs to be taken care of. Everyday/night these guys get hammered right on the sidewalk in front of the liquor store.

  2. #2

    Default

    The owners should put that liquor store on Woodward business corridor in the first place. If the fight and robberies break out. Dan Gilbert's Gang will be notified and owners will have to shut it down and move away.

    In a matter of fact as soon and development of new business comes to Woodward Ave. Jazz Liquor Store will be the first to go. Can't have a ghetto-mart in thriving Gilberttown Business District.

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default

    So, are they just assholes or was this a cause (in their minds) of putting an end to gentrification?

  5. #5
    DetroitBoy Guest

    Default

    They are too stupid to understand what gentrification is in the area. All these thugs know is hanging out, causing disturbances, robbing and stealing. It's obvious from the comments from the family members they come from homes with no discipline. The same song and dance about 'guilt by association' is the same shit we hear all the time about hoodlums from their families. This is good work(finally). Now, if they can do this about 100 more times with the other gangs on the streets then lock them up and throw away the key, we might see civilization start to return to Detroit and the suburbs.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; September-23-15 at 06:29 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    So, are they just assholes or was this a cause (in their minds) of putting an end to gentrification?
    Looking at the TV news, "my brother is a good person"....I'm glad the Feds are involved. THEY mean business. When you go before a federal judge it's different than a local judge.

  7. #7

    Default

    Folks ought to be marching against this nonsense too. This "Band Crew" is doing a lot more damage to Detroit neighborhoods than most other things that get people stirred up.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The owners should put that liquor store on Woodward business corridor in the first place.

    ??? You mean shouldn't have?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Every night downtown there are groups of sketchy people outside of the Jazz liquor store on Woodward. I have witnessed multiple fights between these guys. They stay there for hours (literally every day) and just drink, talk trash to everyone who walks by, and fight. I hope this stops once Woodward develops more. There are "security" guards that patrol the streets sometimes by these guys will try and fight them too.

    Also, I am pretty sure there is no open intoxication downtown. That needs to be taken care of. Everyday/night these guys get hammered right on the sidewalk in front of the liquor store.
    Agree wholeheartedly. That place is a mess.

    Just on Monday at about 5:45 PM I was walking by going north. First there are five guys sitting near those trees, drinking, being loud as heck. I then see somebody to the right - along one of the buildings - and he is taking a leak right on the building. Then one storefront up there is a man lying on the ground with three EMS folks around him. It was a complete disaster.

  10. #10

    Default

    I agree...however this is no worse than gas station owners letting people hang out outside their station, waiting to harass and possibly rob and carjack their customers. Makes you wonder if the station owners are in cahoots with the perps. I see it all the time.

  11. #11

    Default

    On one hand, a quaint vestige of old downtown. On the other hand, totally unacceptable. Here you have storefronts being meticulously redeveloped and occupied by tenants such that it looks like it could be on Broadway in SoHo, and then you have this random liquor store-- and I am not saying that lower Woodward shouldn't have a good liquor store (it should)-- that does not give two shits and is hosting this idiocy.

    More importantly, we have a City prosecuting a graffiti artist but not, apparently, our city's most prominent public alcoholics. Get rid of them, and let's have some judge order them into rehab (preferably out in the country somewhere). It's not that hard. As for the liquor store, investigate whether they are liable for anything, having seemingly been an enabler. Maybe, maybe not, but I'm sure a little good clean police work could dig up something non-compliant about that place.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The owners should put that liquor store on Woodward business corridor in the first place. If the fight and robberies break out. Dan Gilbert's Gang will be notified and owners will have to shut it down and move away.

    In a matter of fact as soon and development of new business comes to Woodward Ave. Jazz Liquor Store will be the first to go. Can't have a ghetto-mart in thriving Gilberttown Business District.
    Good Riddance!!

  13. #13

    Default

    That building was bought by Gilbert within the last year. So I'd shoot these people an email http://www.bedrockmgt.com/. People living downtown should have the convenience of going to a store to buy a drink, but these stores need to be way more vigilant about not contributing to bad behavior.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    That building was bought by Gilbert within the last year. So I'd shoot these people an email http://www.bedrockmgt.com/. People living downtown should have the convenience of going to a store to buy a drink, but these stores need to be way more vigilant about not contributing to bad behavior.
    Actually fairly surprised that this is happening on Bedrock turf. Where are the cameras?? Regardless, I'd say these guys' days are numbered.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Originally Posted by MSUguy
    That building was bought by Gilbert within the last year. So I'd shoot these people an emailhttp://www.bedrockmgt.com/. People living downtown should have the convenience of going to a store to buy a drink, but these stores need to be way more vigilant about not contributing to bad behavior.
    Actually fairly surprised that this is happening on Bedrock turf. Where are the cameras?? Regardless, I'd say these guys' days are numbered.
    ...and then the endless handwringing threads about how dan gilbert's jackbooted gentrification nazis are killing everything that made detroit gritty and real. Go back to Shelby township! /sarc


    (my cynical view is bedrock is completely aware and looking for a reason to rid itself of an undesirable tenant. let them cause enough of a nuisance and then have reason to terminate the lease)

  16. #16

    Default

    I thought you guys wanted to move to Detroit for some of that big city living? WTF?

  17. #17

    Default

    If you are concerned, a few of us should contact Bedrock. I am pretty sure I've seen drugs exchanged right outside the liquor store too. Maybe for some drink.

    Also, there is one homeless man who sleeps on the streets there or in the Quicken Loans parking garage beneath the old Hudson site that smells absolutely terrible. You can smell him from at least 20 feet away. It is bad. Coming from someone who hunts, the smell is worse than rotting animal flesh. This is very sad. I didn't think a person could smell like that.

  18. #18

    Default

    I was chastised on this site a few years ago when I had said that a liquor store would be out of place on Merchant's Row and that it will breed troublemakers, panhandlers, and dope peddlers. Now you guys see what I had meant. I am surprised that the police and Gilbert's security had allowed these guys to loiter in that spot for so long without telling them to hit 8 mile rd. You don't see these vagrants when a special event is going on downtown. Shut the store down and move the riff raff somewhere else. Who cares what the hell the ACLU says. Chief Craig jump in front of a camera when it comes to his bogus apartment buildings and raids but cant keep Woodward's upcoming retail district rid of these bums and what about Gilbert's henchmen. Are there hands tied. How is Gilbert going to lure more retail into the area when he and the city allow troublemakers to hang around and bring down their most prime area in the city

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    That building was bought by Gilbert within the last year. So I'd shoot these people an email http://www.bedrockmgt.com/. People living downtown should have the convenience of going to a store to buy a drink, but these stores need to be way more vigilant about not contributing to bad behavior.
    Could it be that the owner of this store is related to the owners of liquor stores across the city who allow vagrance to hang around the outside of the establishments and not tell them to leave? Maybe I go even a little further; Are these troublemakers planted on Merchant's Row by someone to deter any good national retailers such as Nike and Restoration Hardware from setting up shop on Merchant's Row. Who idea was it to allow a liquor store to open in that spot?

  20. #20

    Default

    What a bunch of hypocrites! Why are the operators of this liquor store, or Bedrock for that matter, responsible for keeping hoodlums off the street? How about asking DPD to get involved? This is actually a clean, well-kept store that sells (horrors!) beer, wine, spirits and food. There is a bus stop right out in front that encourages some of the loitering on that block. How about asking D-DOT to get involved?

    Just a few blocks away on Broadway is another liquor store with a much sketchier reputation. It sits right in the path of people on the way to and from the stadia, across from Punch Bowl Social, and a block from the downtown YMCA. IMO, the loiterers in front of that store are far worse than the ones on Woodward. Why do they get a pass from everybody here? Is that stretch of Broadway, which arguably is more developed than the block on Woodward, somehow different?

    Among liquor stores downtown, Jazz Convenience is one of the better ones. I confess... I do imbibe on occasion and I choose to go to that store over most others downtown. Hey people! It's a business providing jobs and paying taxes. They must be satisfying a need of residents and visitors downtown or it would have gone under years ago. Perhaps y'all would be happier if they changed the name to Carhartt Convenience Store.

    My point is, if you've got a problem with hoodlums on the street, call the cops! Don't hold it against a small business doing business in the city.
    Last edited by downtownguy; September-24-15 at 01:04 PM.

  21. #21

    Default

    My daughter (she was 3-4 at the time) and I used to go in there for ice cream from time to time, we never had any issues inside or outside the store.

  22. #22

    Default

    You goin' in? Here's a five-spot. Get me a double-shot. I'll be out here "watering the grass."

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What a bunch of hypocrites! Why are the operators of this liquor store, or Bedrock for that matter, responsible for keeping hoodlums off the street? How about asking DPD to get involved? This is actually a clean, well-kept store that sells (horrors!) beer, wine, spirits and food. There is a bus stop right out in front that encourages some of the loitering on that block. How about asking D-DOT to get involved?

    Just a few blocks away on Broadway is another liquor store with a much sketchier reputation. It sits right in the path of people on the way to and from the stadia, across from Punch Bowl Social, and a block from the downtown YMCA. IMO, the loiterers in front of that store are far worse than the ones on Woodward. Why do they get a pass from everybody here? Is that stretch of Broadway, which arguably is more developed than the block on Woodward, somehow different?

    Among liquor stores downtown, Jazz Convenience is one of the better ones. I confess... I do imbibe on occasion and I choose to go to that store over most others downtown. Hey people! It's a business providing jobs and paying taxes. They must be satisfying a need of residents and visitors downtown or it would have gone under years ago. Perhaps y'all would be happier if they changed the name to Carhartt Convenience Store.

    My point is, if you've got a problem with hoodlums on the street, call the cops! Don't hold it against a small business doing business in the city.
    They're responsible like every store is not contributing issues to the area. If you want you to complain about the store Broadway feel free to start thread about it.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What a bunch of hypocrites! Why are the operators of this liquor store, or Bedrock for that matter, responsible for keeping hoodlums off the street? How about asking DPD to get involved? This is actually a clean, well-kept store that sells (horrors!) beer, wine, spirits and food. There is a bus stop right out in front that encourages some of the loitering on that block. How about asking D-DOT to get involved?

    Just a few blocks away on Broadway is another liquor store with a much sketchier reputation. It sits right in the path of people on the way to and from the stadia, across from Punch Bowl Social, and a block from the downtown YMCA. IMO, the loiterers in front of that store are far worse than the ones on Woodward. Why do they get a pass from everybody here? Is that stretch of Broadway, which arguably is more developed than the block on Woodward, somehow different?

    Among liquor stores downtown, Jazz Convenience is one of the better ones. I confess... I do imbibe on occasion and I choose to go to that store over most others downtown. Hey people! It's a business providing jobs and paying taxes. They must be satisfying a need of residents and visitors downtown or it would have gone under years ago. Perhaps y'all would be happier if they changed the name to Carhartt Convenience Store.

    My point is, if you've got a problem with hoodlums on the street, call the cops! Don't hold it against a small business doing business in the city.
    There are nolonger a bus stop on the part of Woodward. Many businesses would rather nit open near a liquor store for the type of clientle that the store attracts.

  25. #25

    Default

    The city needs to clean it up. If you want downtown to move ahead, you can't have weirdos on Woodward causing drama.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.