Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Regardless, it sounds like justice has been served. Let's hope that the results are just -- and that we don't look too hard for a reason to condemn the shooter and celebrate the robber.
    Are CCW holders required to respond to any crime nearby? Are CCW holders defacto deputies of the law?

Quote Originally Posted by trstar View Post
    Are CCW holders required to respond to any crime nearby? Are CCW holders defacto deputies of the law?
    No and No.

Actually CCW [[Carrying Concealed Weapon) is not the right term. It is CPL [[Concealed Pistol License).

Anyhow, no, we are not required to respond to crimes, and have absolutely no more police powers than you do. What the license does is gives us the right to conceal a weapon on our person or vehicle.

Michigan is an 'Open Carry' state, which means we all have the right to carry a pistol out in the open. For example, in a holster, on your belt. If you have a CPL, you can cover it up, and you can also get into a car, and leave it on your hip.

If you do not have a CPL, you must leave it visible at all times, and when you get in a vehicle, you have to put it in a case, unloaded, and out of reach [[like in a trunk).

We ALL have the right to defend ourselves, but if the robber was not a threat to the shooter, then the shooter is going to have a long, legal road ahead of him.

I wish him luck.

Since we are posting news stories, not the same justice ending you are trying to paint. CCW should be for personal protection, not those looking to be "heros".

'Heroic' action to try and stop Vegas killers

Joseph Wilcox went to Walmart Sunday morning to return an Internet modem.
    Instead, he became the third victim of a violent husband-and-wife shooting spree in Las Vegas that left two police officers dead, as well as the shooters.
    Police on Monday described Wilcox, 31, as "heroic" for trying to confront the shooters with his concealed handgun as they entered the store. But his family described him as a quiet man who wanted to be a police officer and didn't always carry a gun.
    "It hasn't set in yet," Wilcox's mother, Debra Wilcox, told KTNV-TV in Las Vegas. "I just know he's not coming home. I keep looking for him to walk in that door. But he's not ever going to do that again."
    Wilcox had bought several modems to try to fix an internet problem at his family's home and was returning one of those modems Sunday, family members told KTNV-TV.
    MORE:

Across the parking lot from the Walmart, Jerad and Amanda Miller shot and killed two Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officers inside a pizzeria at about 11:22 a.m. Sunday, Assistant Sheriff Kevin McMahill said at a press conference.
    The couple then walked across the parking lot and into the Walmart. Jerad Miller fired one shot into the air and ordered everyone to leave, warning "this is a revolution" and police were on their way, McMahill said.
    Wilcox, near a checkout counter, told a friend he was going to confront the shooter, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frey View Post

We ALL have the right to defend ourselves, but if the robber was not a threat to the shooter, then the shooter is going to have a long, legal road ahead of him.

I wish him luck.
    If the robber pulled a gun he was a threat. Banks have video; should be a 5 minute trial as long as the jury is not all bleeding hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    If the robber pulled a gun he was a threat. Banks have video; should be a 5 minute trial as long as the jury is not all bleeding hearts.
    The shooting happened outside the bank, as the robber was fleeing. He was no longer a threat to the bank customers. Again, I wish the shooter luck.

Hey, retired DPD here. Much as I applaud the shooter and condemn the shootee, I must say.....if your life is not in imminent danger, DON'T FRIGGIN SHOOT!. The award of a civilian jury is the least of your worries. That's not from a moralistic point of view, that's from a legal point of view.

I remember one DPD officer about forty years back....Jerry O'Reilly......was in a bank with his young son when a holdup occurred. He went to take action, and was shot in the back by the robber's partner, of whom O'Reilly was unaware. I still cry over that one.

DetroitBoy Guest

The shooting happened outside the bank, as the robber was fleeing. He was no longer a threat to the bank customers. Again, I wish the shooter luck.
    If this case is prosecuted in Macomb County, there will be no issue with the person who shot the robber. Warren and Macomb County will not fall into the trap you have in Wayne County where the criminal works the system and puts everyone else on the defensive. The Mayor of Warren was on the news today saying the person who shot the robber will be honored. They should have a parade for him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    If this case is prosecuted in Macomb County, there will be no issue with the person who shot the robber. Warren and Macomb County will not fall into the trap you have in Wayne County where the criminal works the system and puts everyone else on the defensive. The Mayor of Warren was on the news today saying the person who shot the robber will be honored. They should have a parade for him as well.
    This is where I see a problem. I have no feelings one way or the other about the person that shot the bank robber.

But what happens when all the people out there who want their 15 minutes of fame decide that this is a perfect vehicle to propel them into that position. What happens down the road, when someone pulls a gun in a bank, demands money, and 3 or 4 people draw weapons in a crowded space. Each of them wanting to become an honored citizen of a crime weary city. A hero.

Sad scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    This is where I see a problem. I have no feelings one way or the other about the person that shot the bank robber.

But what happens when all the people out there who want their 15 minutes of fame decide that this is a perfect vehicle to propel them into that position. What happens down the road, when someone pulls a gun in a bank, demands money, and 3 or 4 people draw weapons in a crowded space. Each of them wanting to become an honored citizen of a crime weary city. A hero.

Sad scenario.
    That and perps become antsyer, and shoot the first person that sneezes during the robbery. Still, I'm getting a little tired of being the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

Sad scenario.
    Again, a far reach. One person defended himself [[well, two if you count the guy who shot the person trying to steal his car) in a sea of crime and illegally-carried weapons in Detroit. Most people who take a CPL course are taught the repercussions of using deadly force. Actually thinking that 4 or 5 people are going to hang out at banks waiting to shoot it out with a thief is ridiculous paranoia. I know quite a few people who carry, and unlike the [[illegally carrying) asshole who tried to rob the bank, you wouldn't know they were licensed even if you asked. On the other hand, criminals who think "it's Detroit/Warren, I'll get away with it" can now consider a new range of possibilities.

He was a threat to the guy he pulled a gun on. Whether he was fleeing, getting his oil changed, attending a protest, or eating at the pancake house, pointing a gun is a threat.

Thank God Warren doesn't put up with this shit.