Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I would like to meet the engineers, university graduates with more data in each of their phones than NASA had when we sent men to the moon, who designed the Chrysler 200 so that replacing a head lamp requires removing the tire, splash guard, hands the size of a five year old, and two hours of time.
    They be busy sexting maybe. Not all that great at multitasking on top of that.

I would like to meet the engineers, university graduates with more data in each of their phones than NASA had when we sent men to the moon, who designed the Chrysler 200 so that replacing a head lamp requires removing the tire, splash guard, hands the size of a five year old, and two hours of time.
    The new ones should be under warranty so just let the dealer do it. The old square cars are easy to fix but they get lousy mileage so the days of changing headlights with a screwdriver are over. Headlights have to be sealed nowadays, so there are gaskets and what not to deal with too.

There are some tricks to the headlight replacement, because the dealer does them in 15 or 20 minutes, same amount of time it took on my '73 Ford.

As a Pontiac G-6 owner, I concur. It's ridiculous the things you have to go through, just to change a freaking headlight bulb. But we all know the reason why it's like that. It's because most people will have to bring the car back to the stealership to have it replaced, and they can charge you $100.00 or more for the repair. The days of repairing your car or truck yourself, are gone unless you have the tools and the patience to do so. Have you opened the hood of a new car lately? It's like, where do I start? Some of these engineers need to find a new line of work.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-19-15 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    That's because the average commuter can't drive for shit these days. I know, because every day they almost merge into me without looking or accelerating. I've never damaged a 2wd pickup, 4wd Suburban, awd Volvo or Subaru I've owned by losing control, but then again I really learned to drive a car in all conditions. Kool-aid commercials my ass...
    My first two vehicles were RWD, the first was a sedan, and the second was a 2WD pickup. I never damaged either one of them by losing control or spinning out, but I certainly got stuck in unplowed parking lots, driveways, and side streets more times than I can count. After 12 years of putting salt/sand bags in the back of the vehicle, using a shovel to dig tracks out of a parking space, etc., I finally got my first FWD car. In all of the years of driving a FWD car, I have NEVER been stuck in the snow. The difference is night and day. FWD won't stop you from spinning out on the freeway, but it certainly helps getting through unplowed areas, which is absoluely a nice feature.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    My first two vehicles were RWD, the first was a sedan, and the second was a 2WD pickup. I never damaged either one of them by losing control or spinning out, but I certainly got stuck in unplowed parking lots, driveways, and side streets more times than I can count. After 12 years of putting salt/sand bags in the back of the vehicle, using a shovel to dig tracks out of a parking space, etc., I finally got my first FWD car. In all of the years of driving a FWD car, I have NEVER been stuck in the snow. The difference is night and day. FWD won't stop you from spinning out on the freeway, but it certainly helps getting through unplowed areas, which is absoluely a nice feature.
    Not sure what kind of sedan you had but any car can get stuck when driven into deep snow. FWD is no guarantee, as a matter of fact the low ground clearance makes it easier to get stuck. Again, it's driver technique.

The way roads are salted around here spinning out is more of an issue than getting stuck anyway unless you drive in the neighborhoods of Detroit that are never plowed, in which case you better have 4wd.

I would like to meet the engineers, universiyou'reraduates with more data in each of their phones than NASA had when we sent men to the moon, who designed the Chrysler 200 so that replacing a head lamp requires removing the tire, splash guard, hands the size of a five year old, and two hours of time.

Reminds me of my 81 Chevette. I asked a coworker/mechanic if he took side jobs. It was yes until he heard it was a shove it.
    To replace a starter, you had two options, remove the engine mounts and jack up the engine, or remove the steering wheel/column. And a special tool was needed ! As per a Chiltons manual.

I did the steering column bit. The lesser of two evils. I hope you're reading this Chevette engineer.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-21-15 at 08:43 AM.

What a waste of the word "Vette"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    What a waste of the word "Vette"

This reminds me of the Buick Lacrosse which was named "Allure" in Canada for a while before GM decided to rename it Lacrosse. The reason was that in French Canada, the game of Lacrosse is La crosse in two words, but in popular parlance, "la crosse" also means "the shaft"; as in: getting shafted!

Sort of like the Chevy Nova which means new, but also in Spanish in two words, no va means; won't move. I love that kind of screwed up shit.

What gets me is with American cars in the past if it said .030 clearance you could be within .005 either way where Imports if it says .030 you better be .030 precisely.The early Taurus SHO used a engine built by Yamaha and had to have exact tolerance or it would not run.

The older I get the more I like a set of points and being able to fix anything with a 9/16 or 1/2 wrench.

Repeal NAFTA. Then don't bring it back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2