Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

That seems to be the monthly rent, Red!

Very substantial home...and still in a decent neighborhood, although a few blocks to a half mile south and west it is ugly. Brightmoor can be a rough place.

But for many blocks around this home, you'd be in one of the toniest subdivisions in town.

Paying for heat is going to suck...check the previous three years with DTE for a guess.

I think Supersport can give you a heads-up on the street scene in this 'hood, isn't this his beat?!

Cheers, Rid, cool to see this develope.

2blocksaway Guest

it is a rental.

it was on the market last fall for 169,900

At 3 am in the morning I tend to skip the details. But that house is twice the house of mine for under $100 bucks a month more.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    it is a rental.

it was on the market last fall for 169,900
    $1,300 a month rent on the West Side of Detroit??

I thought that was the sales price!

I pay less in NYC, and my place is beautiful, and safe [[though small).

At that price, you can rent an entire small house in walking distance to downtown Birmingham.

Or if you only prefer Detroit, you could rent something in Palmer Woods, or a giant loft in downtown Detroit.

Rosedale Park IS a nice-looking neighborhood, and has quality homes on nice-looking streets, BUT it is unsafe and in decline. You cannot take an evening stroll in these parts, and you are surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

I would not rent in an unsafe neighborhood, regardless of the rent. To have safety concerns at a rent of $1,300 is just insane. You obviously have an income that would allow you to rent in any neighborhood in the metro area. Of all the areas, this would be your preferred choice?

Look to Palmer Woods if you are only looking at city limits. $1,300/month is doable in Palmer Woods right now, and the area is safer, with very good private patrols.

If you are not tied to the city, you can get the same homes as in Rosedale Park in cities along the Woodward corridor [[Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak), and you can get something decent at that rent. More urban and walkable nowadays too, especially if you factor in safety and nearby amenities in your determination of walkability.

This home is north of 6 mile, I'm pretty sure that good rosedale park goes down to schoolcraft, so you actually have almost 2 good miles to the south. However I'm not sure the exact borders of Rosedale park. I think this home is out of the borders of rosedale, maybe even out of the borders of north rosedale. Either way, you'd be fine over there. Where are you going to be working/where do your friends live? in my oppinion this neighborhood is not too close to, to much, as far as activities go. You could probabally get a smaller house in a more fun area for the same amount of money.
    Definately go look at it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That seems to be the monthly rent, Red!

Very substantial home...and still in a decent neighborhood, although a few blocks to a half mile south and west it is ugly. Brightmoor can be a rough place.

But for many blocks around this home, you'd be in one of the toniest subdivisions in town.

Paying for heat is going to suck...check the previous three years with DTE for a guess.

I think Supersport can give you a heads-up on the street scene in this 'hood, isn't this his beat?!

Cheers, Rid, cool to see this develope.

Yeah, after typing that I took a little virtual drive through GoogleMaps, and found one house boarded up six or so blocks directly west...with a small gang of fellows hanging on the corner, occasionally a bad sign.

I stopped after a while, but it was a fun experiment...of exploring a snapshot that might be three years old. If you were buying, Rid, I'd warn you about that sunken part of the lawn by the tree, with that construction barrier over it...looks as if they had significant sewer issues when that Google series was filmed!

Most of the neighborhood looked very well kept. I forgot how gorgeous a neighborhood that is around Outer Drive. I have always loved Rosedale Park, but the juxtaposition with Brightmoor next door is severe!

Oh yeah, and they didn't put those damn huge rocks on the curb by mistake.

That house is on the curve, I'd bet they've had more than their share of lawn jobs.

Might not be good with the kids and pets...