Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good luck, rid. I'm sure you'll find something soon.

Rid, keep in mind that crime is going up all over Metro Detroit

If you are still considering buying, this house is smack dab in the middle of the University District, and adjacent to the Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest neighborhoods. The asking price is $39,000 - 5 beds, 3.5 baths. The best thing about the place is the taxes - it is only $140 dollars a YEAR. Even if it increases by a factor of 10 or 15, you are still pretty straight.

http://www.realestateone.com/vp/List...&cd_MLS=107403

Crawford, you are again actively discouraging people not to live in Detroit. Why are you on a DETROITYES forum then? What's the point of your presence?

That is a good deal unless the house is trashed on the inside. I am surprised the taxes are that low; I would definitely check on that--that house shouldn't have an SEV of less than $75000, and although the University District is in a NEZ, even taking that into account the taxes should be higher.

Wildemere is a nice street and I know people who live on that block. To my taste, that isn't one of the nicer houses, but it is nice enough.

Just checked out the house at 8808 W. Outer Drive [[I live near there). It does not look empty, actually nicer in person than the picture. The other houses in that block are quite nice. The garage and driveway are inside the fenced back yard, not directly exposed to the side street [[Santa Maria) which is better for security. It even has a free standing basketball hoop in back but maybe that's not part of the deal I would at least look at it and see if you can get them down on the price.

Rosedale Park does not extend north of 6 Mile [[McNichols).

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    If you are still considering buying, this house is smack dab in the middle of the University District, and adjacent to the Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest neighborhoods. The asking price is $39,000 - 5 beds, 3.5 baths. The best thing about the place is the taxes - it is only $140 dollars a YEAR. Even if it increases by a factor of 10 or 15, you are still pretty straight.

http://www.realestateone.com/vp/List...&cd_MLS=107403

Crawford, you are again actively discouraging people not to live in Detroit. Why are you on a DETROITYES forum then? What's the point of your presence?
    Is that JoAnn Watson's place? That tax rate is implausible; don't take the agent's word for it. Nice looking place for 39k, though.

8808 Outer Drive, Detroit 48219 is not Rosedale Park, It is north of North Rosedale...

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That is a good deal unless the house is trashed on the inside. I am surprised the taxes are that low; I would definitely check on that--that house shouldn't have an SEV of less than $75000, and although the University District is in a NEZ, even taking that into account the taxes should be higher.

Wildemere is a nice street and I know people who live on that block. To my taste, that isn't one of the nicer houses, but it is nice enough.
    Thanks for the tip. We have a message in to the agent but haven't received a call back. I'm staying on this one. I'm sure the taxes are incorrect. From what I've seen of Detroit taxes only way this could be correct is if the house is owned by a council member. Keep everyone posted.

I rented a duplex just east of North Rosedale park on the Southfield service drive over thirty years ago. Crime was a problem then, It hasn't gotten any better since.
    Just take that into consideration when looking at what rent you pay. What's your stuff and life worth?

RID,

Send me an email with your phone # as I have lived in the Univ. District for 10 years with a family. Moved here from the burbs. detbest@yahoo.com

You may want to think twice if you have children to enroll in a school. Are there any good schools near there? What about Gesu School?

St. Mary of Redford wasn't too far from North Rosedale but it has closed. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    St. Mary of Redford wasn't too far from North Rosedale but it has closed. Good Luck.
    When did St. Mary's of Redford close?

Just in the last year. Grade school was last to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    Is that JoAnn Watson's place? That tax rate is implausible; don't take the agent's word for it. Nice looking place for 39k, though.
    That's the taxes for a vacant lot apparently. Spoke with a person today that said those are not the taxes for the house. House taxes summer and winter are right around $4800. This tax situation is appearing to be a real problem. Especially when I'm currently paying around a $1,000 a year and that's considered expensive.

Your chances of moving anywhere in metro Detroit and paying less than $2,000-2,500 at the low end in property taxes are not very good if you want fulltime police/fire/ems/library/garbage/parks/etc. I am wondering if you live in a rural or semi-rural area now. A location 20-40 miles outside of Detroit may get you into the $1,000's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2