Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    First off, you guys need to take a chill pill. I was joking, you know, sarcasm? Truthfully I don't give two shits about your bike lanes.

Second, that house was crawling with people and cars last Saturday and a few other days this summer, so obviously something is going on over there. But you guys would know that as you must be over here just as much as I am apparently.

Mario's has always had Goombas working for them. This is no secret if you've spent any considerable amount of time living or working in the Corridor.
    So are people biking to the house or driving? I thought you liked it when people did hood rat things? Good thing you're only joking! [[This is sarcasm too)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    NOT as bad as Roma......
    Roma's is bad. You got to be "made".

Uhhhhhhh.... Green lining, eh?

There you go, Greenlining is the new Redlining, for sure, eh?

I gave up bike riding when I gave up my Detroit Times paper route. Worked for me.

I'm torn on this story because Motor City Muckraker is a complete jackass hack and I have no problem believing that he created this story by antagonizing the already edgy valets who absolutely do commandeer 2nd street [[although who knows, maybe they pay some kind of annual fee to the city for the right). The reality is the street is so damn wide it shouldn't really be an issue anyways.

Second, that house was crawling with people and cars last Saturday and a few other days this summer, so obviously something is going on over there. But you guys would know that as you must be over here just as much as I am apparently..
    They had a private birthday party [[I was lucky enough to attend). I went via automobile as there was no mention of gilded bicycle lanes just for party goers in the invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Cyclists pull some crazy shit too, so I think an occasional car in the bike lane is forgive able. I just ride around them. Starting trouble with people in cars might work if you're in a crowd of 20 spandex riders but my cruiser bike is no match for a car. I ride a lot and never have an issue but I don't push my luck. I do think it's kinda ridiculous to spend money on bike lanes on some of the cratered streets around here, but it is what it is. Expecting drivers around here who can't even merge onto the freeway to know what to do around a bike lane is asking way too much.
    Chicago is big on the bike lanes. There is one on a street near where I live and they are thinking of getting rid of it temporarily while they rearrange the traffic patterns to adjust for the dozens of 50 story high-rise apartments they are building. There was a news story on the local news where the cops announced that they would be upping their enforcement of traffic laws against bicyclists. The officer on the news said that one of the biggest problems he sees is that bike riders believe that they can break traffic laws because they are acting more "moral" by using a mode of transportation that doesn't pollute. No kidding - he said that his officers who stop bike riders for infractions get that excuse all of they time. Some of these "hipsters" are really morons. I'd like the cops to send a bunch of them to jail just to teach a lesson. The battle rages even more and more in Chicago over the bike people vs the car people. The bike folks are always speaking at city council meetings to object to a development proposal that would allow a building owner to put parking on the lower floors of their buildings. The also make proposals about closing the freeways inside of the city and making all city streets ped/bike only. This is arrogant since MOST people don't want that - they want their cars, in spite of the traffic and pollution. The arrogant part is that they support a nanny-state govt going against the will of the people because "doesn't everyone know that we are SO right and you are SO wrong". ...

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    So are people biking to the house or driving? I thought you liked it when people did hood rat things? Good thing you're only joking! [[This is sarcasm too)
    I had a feelin there was more to this BS than bike lanes.

How would I know? I don't hang out over there, I do hood rat things remember. Of course, that place is smack dab IN the hood, so...

It's not my problem if you cant take a joke and want to keep escalating things. Have something you wanna say to me? feel free to PM me.

HT and G-DDT, I haven't been to Roma's in years, but when I worked in the Market some 15 years ago it wasn't like that. Did something change?

How would I know? I don't hang out over there, I do hood rat things remember. Of course, that place is smack dab IN the hood, so...

It's not my problem if you cant take a joke and want to keep escalating things. Have something you wanna say to me? feel free to PM me.

HT and G-DDT, I haven't been to Roma's in years, but when I worked in the Market some 15 years ago it wasn't like that. Did something change?
    I haven't been in da joint in some 10 years, but last time I took a date there, well there were some interesting characters in there. Polite, but interesting. The story's too long to post, and might not come across right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I gave up bike riding when I gave up my Detroit Times paper route. Worked for me.
    My brother use to have a Times route too. You guys are old.

Speaking of escalating things...Once again, one of your rants doesn't make any sense. Could you please try once again to explain?

I'm saying what I want to say to you, right here, as publicly as possible in this format. There's no need for hiding behind private messages. You freely admitted to liking to do illegal and what most would consider anti-social things in Detroit, so again, what's the problem here? Are you now saying that you don't like when other people do those same kinds of things in your neighborhood? Or are you saying that you don't like those kinds of things if you're aren't invited?

Same thing here, ten years ago and long story to avoid-seeing as it fits almost to one lengthy and passionate thread previous that was all about the analysis of waits and reservations at restaurants.

Yet, here's the breakdown: family called Roma's on a Wednesday to inquire about still accepting Entertainment coupon-told there was no need for reservation and all there was a twenty minute wait. Get there, and we are then told it is a 45 minute wait. I time things to my hypoglycemic diet, so well, into it I'm starting to dive. The whole time we are there, at least four to five carloads of guys show up at different intervals. They look like they are out of Sopranos-suits, rings, slicked hair, the works. They are immediately greeted and whisked off to awaiting tables. Now, different carloads are getting different tables [[we can see them getting seated, so, they are clearly not part of the same big off-wing function or gathering at one table.). One of the groups that showed up looked Russian [[leather coats, angular features, cold eyes, murmuring in clearly Russian dialect, etc.) were also whisked past us.

45 minutes became an hour and fifteen minutes [[I seem to think we handled things far more patiently than we should, because John Candy's character didn't handle it at all well in "Summer Rental"), as we kept being told that we'd be getting "the next available table". We were the only ones treated like this. With my blood sugar, every five minutes takes a toll, and I was in rough shape, when we asked the hostess if they had crackers [[fiber to slow down the glycogenic reaction the liver causes-and no, sugar is not the remedy, unlike some folks erroneously assume), she would not accommodate and insisted it wouldn't "be much longer". We finally had to leave. I think they just wanted to get rid of us. It's that kind of treatment that made us vow to never even plot to support them.
    Last edited by G-DDT; September-18-15 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    I only hope folks can see through popular "bike gurus" who acted like exploitative chauvinist ...... bags who show up at parties [[New Years, 4th of July) to discharge loaded weapons up into the air and are now doing TedX talks and act like they're benefiting the community [[yeah, sending "unaddressed air mail" out into the city streets to make their arrival on some grandmother on her front porch or some kid sitting in the kitchen eating milk and cookies-yeah, not a great way to "benefit the community"!!).
    I want to hear more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    My brother use to have a Times route too. You guys are old.
    79 next month. But I give bikers a wide berth when driving. Some of the damn roads out here are narrow two-lanes, and I worry about the two-wheelers.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Same thing here, ten years ago and long story to avoid-seeing as it fits almost to one lengthy and passionate thread previous that was all about the analysis of waits and reservations at restaurants.

Yet, here's the breakdown: family called Roma's on a Wednesday to inquire about still accepting Entertainment coupon-told there was no need for reservation and all there was a twenty minute wait. Get there, and we are then told it is a 45 minute wait. I time things to my hypoglycemic diet, so well, into it I'm starting to dive. The whole time we are there, at least four to five carloads of guys show up at different intervals. They look like they are out of Sopranos-suits, rings, slicked hair, the works. They are immediately greeted and whisked off to awaiting tables. Now, different carloads are getting different tables [[we can see them getting seated, so, they are clearly not part of the same big off-wing function or gathering at one table.). One of the groups that showed up looked Russian [[leather coats, angular features, cold eyes, murmuring in clearly Russian dialect, etc.) were also whisked past us.

45 minutes became an hour and fifteen minutes [[I seem to think we handled things far more patiently than we should, because John Candy's character didn't handle it at all well in "Summer Rental"), as we kept being told that we'd be getting "the next available table". We were the only ones treated like this. With my blood sugar, every five minutes takes a toll, and I was in rough shape, when we asked the hostess if they had crackers [[fiber to slow down the glycogenic reaction the liver causes-and no, sugar is not the remedy, unlike some folks erroneously assume), she would not accommodate and insisted it wouldn't "be much longer". We finally had to leave. I think they just wanted to get rid of us. It's that kind of treatment that made us vow to never even plot to support them.

Nice piece of writing, I enjoyed the read. That's a shame because I was considering trying it out with family in October. I won't bother risking an experience like the one you describe, that sounded demoralizing.

Any suggestions for an old Italian joint in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Nice piece of writing, I enjoyed the read. That's a shame because I was considering trying it out with family in October. I won't bother risking an experience like the one you describe, that sounded demoralizing.

I suggest Giovani's, haven't had a bad experience there yet, and the food is great.

I am sure G-DDT's incident was isolated. Janet and Michelle at Roma's would have surely gotten something from the kitchen to help stabilize the blood sugar.

Dbest, you are depriving your family of a great Italian experience if you pass up Roma.

My experience at Roma's probably was isolated, but it was ugly and shameful enough to put me off from ever returning. Maybe it has improved....Many folks in Dearborn [[and Heights) swear by Cariera's and Antonio's. I like Sila's for the pizza [[but they did a lot of decorating and it's quite atmosphere now has open visibility to the bar T.V.'s-ugh. and loud families with kids who don't turn down the volumes on the games they play on their iPhones).

Subsidized, without naming names, just read enough Hour Detroit and catch some Chrysler commercials, and you might be able to correlate some names and faces. Much like the world we live in, Detroit has a number of celebrities I firmly believe do not deserve the hyped recognition and acclaim they get.

I suggest Giovani's, haven't had a bad experience there yet, and the food is great.
    They are good, and so is Alfoccino's in Farmington Hills. I also like Angelo Brothers in Westland. It's a shame about Mario's, since I've had my birthday meals there all the time with no hassel.

I might return back to Roma's after what G-DDT and I went through. I know he won't, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Speaking of escalating things...Once again, one of your rants doesn't make any sense. Could you please try once again to explain?
    Your lack of comprehension sounds like a personal problem. Everyone else got what I said but you apparently. But I'll do you a favor and repeat myself: I don't give two shits about your bike lanes. Which means... I don't care, I don't use them, I don't care if others use them, I don't care if they stay or go away. I don't have a dog in that fight. And I like to make jokes. Did I break it down enough for you?

Your tactic of repeatedly calling someone's comments a incomprehensible rant doesn't necessarily accomplish what you think it does.

I'm saying what I want to say to you, right here, as publicly as possible in this format. There's no need for hiding behind private messages. You freely admitted to liking to do illegal and what most would consider anti-social things in Detroit, so again, what's the problem here? Are you now saying that you don't like when other people do those same kinds of things in your neighborhood? Or are you saying that you don't like those kinds of things if you're aren't invited?
    And posting this right here just proved my point, that you are bringing some other crap into this that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I must have really hit a nerve with my past comments about adult Detroiters who like to race their muscle cars and smoke weed. My offer for you to PM me was my polite attempt to work out those differences, but since you seem so intent on carrying on with this, I'll just let you continue to show your own ass.

I wish I had one of the Emoji's that has the hand rubbing the forehead.

Everyone says that place is the best, I so want to check it out, but it's off the beaten path for me. And I remember from a past thread that there was some nonsense construction going on in front of it. Is the construction done? And when is a good night to go?
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-21-15 at 12:52 PM.

Everyone says that place is the best, I so want to check it out, but it's off the beaten path for me. And I remember from a past thread that there was some nonsense construction going on in front of it. Is the construction done? And when is a good night to go?
    Tha construction IS all done, come in from the Schaefer road side, because there's still a little matter of the new Fort Street Bridge not working yet. I'm not sure what a good night would be, because the place is pricey, [[worth it, IMO) and I'm not a shooter. It's more of a special occasion place for me.

Tha construction IS all done, come in from the Schaefer road side, because there's still a little matter of the new Fort Street Bridge not working yet. I'm not sure what a good night would be, because the place is pricey, [[worth it, IMO) and I'm not a shooter. It's more of a special occasion place for me.
    I appreciate the suggestion Honk. Everything I've read says it's a great place. I am going to call a few weeks in advance to see if I can make a reservation for my party.

Eastland: I will surely give Roma's a try, might just be with my girlfriend rather than a party of 6 out of town visitors. Its on my bucket list for the history alone.
    Last edited by Dbest; September-22-15 at 08:24 AM.

I appreciate the suggestion Honk. Everything I've read says it's a great place. I am going to call a few weeks in advance to see if I can make a reservation for my party.

Eastland: I will surely give Roma's a try, might just be with my girlfriend rather than a party of 6 out of town visitors. Its on my bucket list for the history alone.
    Give yourself lots of time @ Giovani's, everything is made to order. No "One sauce fits all". I'd do Roma's. It gets interesting in the evening, on a week night.

Your lack of comprehension sounds like a personal problem. Everyone else got what I said but you apparently. But I'll do you a favor and repeat myself: I don't give two shits about your bike lanes. Which means... I don't care, I don't use them, I don't care if others use them, I don't care if they stay or go away. I don't have a dog in that fight. And I like to make jokes. Did I break it down enough for you?

Your tactic of repeatedly calling someone's comments a incomprehensible rant doesn't necessarily accomplish what you think it does.

And posting this right here just proved my point, that you are bringing some other crap into this that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I must have really hit a nerve with my past comments about adult Detroiters who like to race their muscle cars and smoke weed. My offer for you to PM me was my polite attempt to work out those differences, but since you seem so intent on carrying on with this, I'll just let you continue to show your own ass.

I wish I had one of the Emoji's that has the hand rubbing the forehead.
    It figures that your dishonesty matches your interest in participating in illegal activities and desire to see Detroit continue to decline. Naturally you're disingenuous as well because the last thing that you're interested in is being polite and "working anything out". Talk about having personal problems.

In fact, to the extent that it matters, NO ONE agreed with your advocacy of illegal activities in the city...and no one believes that you were only kidding about the State Fair bike lanes.

Furthermore, I haven't biked in years, and outside of maybe a Slow Roll type of mass biking event, I wouldn't bike in Detroit [[or most other places for that matter). I've seen way too much reckless driving, not to mention half of the drivers uninsured/unlicensed, police chases, etc. to put my life in the hands of people like you on the road. Also, I don't agree with the placing of bike lanes on State Fair [[or in Brightmoor for that matter), so your attempted tactic of divisiveness over the matter fails.

The nerve that you hit is that Detroit has a long ways to go so long as people like you are around. People like you that wish to see the status quo of lawlessness and socio-economic decline so that you can entertain yourself through illegal activities and a feeling of superiority because "you have a vocabulary".

Attachment 28122.................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2