Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Same Old Lions?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And why didn't the Lions make adjustments?
    One huge concern I have with Caldwell is that they don't seem to make adjustments at halftime like other teams do. This was evident on Sunday as well as the playoff game against Dallas last year, and I remember noticing it at other times as well throughout last year. I think the number of 4th quarter comebacks last year got the coaching staff falsely thinking that they are making adjustments throughout the game, therefore de-emphasizing the need in their minds for halftime adjustments.

It's gotten to where I assume that the coaches are watching the NFL Halftime Report to catch up on the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They missed Levy for sure, still no excuse for not getting Megatron and Tate more targets. I mean what exactly did SD do to take them away? And why didn't the Lions make adjustments?
    I hear ya, no excuses for the play calling in that game, both sides of the ball. I am just going to look at it as a road loss against a decent team, and a game we should have won.

I'm going to the Bears game and packer game this year, I'm really hoping the Lions don't shit the bed and make these games meaningless.

Ugh. Truly pitiful effort today vs. Vikings.

I was flipping between the Lions and the Tigers watching the disasters get worse on both. Meanwhile outside the day was getting nicer and nicer, the sun warmer and more inviting. You can guess the rest.

Time to find something else to do on Sunday this season. This team stinks. Who is #77?
    He looked like a swinging gate today letting the defense roll right by him.
    Stafford will be in the hospital soon with the beating he's taking.
    I got my Homer Simpson button running out of batteries with him yelling "Doh" play after play.

There needs to be several more wins in the next several weeks, or fan morale will drop sharply. But games will likely still be sold out.

They play Denver on Sunday Night Football, for the first time ever next week. I sure hope they don't sh*t the bed on national TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    There needs to be several more wins in the next several weeks, or fan morale will drop sharply. But games will likely still be sold out.
    Forget several, how about one or two more wins so they can at least stay in the picture for the playoffs? An 0 and 3 start would take a miracle to get a wild card game.

Playoffs, really....even the Oakland Raiders won yesterday.

Joique Bell: 4 carries/2 yards?
    Ameer Abdullah: 6 carries/9 yards?
    Matt Stafferd: QB passing rating ranked 25th
    Team: Ranked 24th in total offense
    Team: Ranked 30th in total defense

Default Restore the Roar

We need to have Wayne Fontes leave retirement so he can come back home and coach this team to victory. He was coach of the year and 12 – 4 in 1991!!!

Name:  wayne.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  73.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I was flipping between the Lions and the Tigers watching the disasters get worse on both. Meanwhile outside the day was getting nicer and nicer, the sun warmer and more inviting. You can guess the rest.
    I wasn't about to let the Lion's ruin a perfect summer day. I went to the Pointe Mouillee Water Fowl Festival. What a day on the water. Checked the score on my phone a few times confirming I made the right call.

The defensive strategy centered around exhausting Adrian Peterson by letting him run around all day.

it didn't work.

Cornelius Lucas is not supposed to be starting, he's filling in for the injured starting right tackle, Waddle. But, you'd have to imagine that even a backup should be capable of filling in, but not so with Lucas. I have no idea how this guy made the roster. He is going to get Stafford killed if this is allowed to continue.

Speaking of things that should not be allowed to continue, Lombari's play calling is atrocious and continues to get worse with each and every game. The Lions fell behind but at no point were they ever behind more than two scores. You're down by two scores with 5 minutes left in the game, then sure, start passing 100% of the time. But they'd already abandoned the run by the second quarter, and never even pretended that it was still there. Makes the defensive coordinators job on the other team a bit easier.

This team is a mess, and it's largely a combination of injuries and poor coaching, and even if all the guys get healthy, I have little confidence that the coaching staff can stop dragging down this team.

I know it's way early and a lot can change, but as of now, I'd say a top 5 pick in tnext years draft is more likely than even coming close to sniffing the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    We need to have Wayne Fontes leave retirement so he can come back home and coach this team to victory. He was coach of the year and 12 – 4 in 1991!!!

The Lions got on a hell of a roll at the end of that 1991 season, led by Barry Sanders running and an increasingly tight defense.

That roll continued right on into the playoffs, where the Lions had their only playoff win since the 1957 championship season, a 38-6 destruction of the Dallas Cowboys at the Silverdome. Unfortunately, the next week in the NFC championship game, they ran into the same Washington Redskins juggernaut that killed them at the beginning of the season, with not much different results [['Skins 41, Lions 10).

Fontes' coaching record was really helped by the personnel he had to work with. Unfortunately, for Caldwell, there's no Barry Sanders on this team.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-21-15 at 12:03 PM.

Makes me so glad I became a Packer Backer decades ago.

How can one leave their home team [[serious question; I'm so embarrassed that I have to root for the Lions, year after year, but emotionally, I feel it is my duty)?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    How can one leave their home team [[serious question; I'm so embarrassed that I have to root for the Lions, year after year, but emotionally, I feel it is my duty)?
    As I said to my sister last night, you may like or even love other teams as friends, but the Lions are like family you [[as a Detroiter) are attached to, despite all their warts and misdeeds. Kind of like the constantly screwed-up older brother who you are totally exasperated by, but have to love anyway.

What a bunch a fraidy cats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    As I said to my sister last night, you may like or even love other teams as friends, but the Lions are like family you [[as a Detroiter) are attached to, despite all their warts and misdeeds. Kind of like the constantly screwed-up older brother who you are totally exasperated by, but have to love anyway.
    I would agree with all the above but also add that they're like a train wreck that has lasted 58 years that you cannot pass without staring at.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post

Name:  wayne.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  73.0 KB
    I think they made the playoffs 3 times under Wayne Fontes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

I'll go you one better, the Jacksonville Jaguars won yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I gave up on them decades ago and became a Packer Backer, going so far as to go to Lambeau Field whenever I could [[rarely!) get tickets. The only reason I wish the Lions any luck today is for the people of metro Detroit, who sorely deserve some good news along the way.

Some are saying the offensive line is letting Stafferd get hit.......?

What are smogboy and Thruster doing these days? I see no posts by them, this year. Did they finally become enlightened? No sarcasm, intended, just curiosity.

Default Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game"

Jim Mora

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast