Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A few days ago I happened to be thinking about those special times when my Dad would take me with him on his frequent visits to Silverstein’s Military Surplus store on McNichols. These trips began when I was a little girl barely able to walk and continued for a number of years. I wondered whether there was any information still available about that magical store and lo-and-behold there was. So here I am, on the DetroitYES site.
    I’m 73 years old and my oldest clear memories are of playing in the tail section of a plane that my Dad bought at Silverstein’s. He claimed it was completely intact except for the guns. Meters etc. from that plane were in my Dad’s shop for many years.
    Another of my fond memories was getting the little gifts Mr. Silverstein or his employees gave to kids going into the store. I went so often that occasionally Mr. Silverstein would reach back into his private stash and give me a special gift. What a thrill.
    To sum up, I have many special memories of the 22 years I lived in Detroit and Silverstein’s is one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Don't remember the place, but I remember two surplus stores on Grand River just east of the Sears store at Oakman. One was "Barry's war surplus", the other smaller store was "Harry's". Great stuff in there, also. Smelled like canvas, for some reason.
    Picked up a USAF Officers winter coat at Barry's. Thing weighed a ton, but keptyou warm!

The Army Navy Surplus Store "Silverstine's" was established by Nathan "Nate" Silverstine b.1889 NY d.1968 age 78 in Phoenix, AZ.

Nathan lived on Fourth Ave in Detroit, was a automotive purchasing agent and works manager for Briggs Manufacturing Plant [[mfg automobile bodies bathtubs and later owned the Tigers) 1163 Mack Ave.

In about the 1940's Nate bought the property of DETROIT HUME PIPE CO. [[WD Robinson) 6532 E McNichols, The property was formerly their sales office and manufacturing facilities and had a large Quonset hut style building....... where they sold concrete pipe up to 84-inch Diameter for sewers culverts and water lines.

Nate bought the yard, manufacturing buildings and sales office which contained 7 acres of land and started his business "N Silverstine's" Nathan became a widely known dealer in surplus materials.

Sort of a rambling complex, It was located on 6 Mile [[McNichols) west of Sherwood and just east of Mt. Elliot. near Federal Pipe and Supply. The parking lot was graveled and had a surplus water-landing craft [[known as a duck) near the entrance to their buildings. There was a sign stating "Keep Off" the duck, but kids always climbed up to have a peek at what was inside. He sold just about anything, WWII gas-masks, tents, boots, fox-hole shovels, rain ponchos, GI belts, clothing and electronics. The business prospered until his death. The property today is still some sort of salvage storage yard..........

Nate was also questioned in the INVESTIGATION OF ORGANIZED CRIME IN INTERSTATE COMMERCE circa 1950, Reports about Briggs and Government surplus contracts. In 1969 Silverstine's was taken over by Willis N. Wiley and later closed circa 1970's ??????.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    In 1969 Silverstine's was taken over by Willis N. Wiley and later closed circa 1970's ??????.
    Looking at old newspapers, they must have gone bankrupt in 1983. It appears Wiley died in Miami, Florida in January 1979 at age 55. The newspaper ads for Silverstine's dried up shortly after and then in March of 1983, there were a series of bankruptcy sales ads, followed by notices of public auctions on November 13th and 26th of '83. Then the following year, there was another public auction on November 10th. Must have been a lot leftover, because there were two more auctions in 1988 on May 17th and July 1st.

March 1983:

Name:  Detroit_Free_Press_1983_03_05_Page_26.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  194.1 KB

November 1983:

Name:  Detroit_Free_Press_1983_11_06_Page_80.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  95.6 KB

November 1984:

Name:  Detroit_Free_Press_1984_10_28_Page_42.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  154.2 KB

May 1988:

Name:  Detroit_Free_Press_1988_05_15_Page_45.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  62.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    It was located on 6 Mile west of Sherwood and just east of Mt. Elliot...
    Yeah, I seem to recall seeing that behemoth stored there when I was a kid.

P.S It was always a treasure hunt at Silverstine's.

Many happy memories.

Name:  12377527_10156324321335357_3121870905614156303_o.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  27.9 KB

There were a string of 'war surplus' stores on Grand River east of Oakman [[next to the railroad tracks). Barry's was the name of one of them; can't recall the other. Great place for a kid with a couple of bucks burning a hole in his pocket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2