Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Just in the last week I noticed a small new dispensary on West Vernor at Campbell Ave. and a garish green large dispensary on north side Michigan Ave. just west of Livernois.
    The one on Michigan is not too out-of-place because Michigan is already home to murderous strip clubs and a legion of sex-workers, but sorry to see a business like that on West Vernor on the route of many schoolchildren to their Cristo rey, Western International, Mayberry, Holy Redeemer, Earhart Middle School, etc.

That is mean problem of the green cross stores. Putting their location next a public schools. Green cross stores don't need to be in the suburban shopping areas, too. This is got to stop. It's a crack house of the future

Hah! I know I've been away from Detyes a great deal the last four weeks - regarding this post specifically. But no, Duggin seems to not be feeling the current setup:

"We need to get an ordinance passed, because right now we have no ability to enforce anything," Duggan

More from the September freep article:
    The Free Press found three drive-through dispensaries, each in a former restaurant or bank that had drive-through lanes. The managers or owners of two of the dispensaries defended their drive-through windows, saying they are useful for people with disabilities that affect their mobility or other medical conditions.

The owner of the recently opened 420 Dank, located in a former coney island restaurant on Gratiot near the Detroit Police Department's Eastern District Offices, said she understands concerns about the mushrooming number of dispensaries in Detroit, but she said it's unfair to single out those with drive-through windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Will the Mayor come to get his prescription filled?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 11:49 AM.

Hah! They are going up so fast no one has time go get the ribbon or the scissors for the 'openings'. And there's far less festivities in the suburbs. Their activity where it is are mostly 'delivery' businesses. They're not going have a dispensary on every corner, green lights a blazing, odd hours and the problem of potential corruption.

So why are we rolling out the eh' green carpet so readily?

Since I started this post there are even more dispensaries in the D. Thankfully, there's finally some push back regarding regulation and zoning. See updated map that confirms our current density [[a zoomed in view reflects more). They've out paced liquor stores and dialysis clinics!

Name:  Sample density.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  175.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Wow a new pharmacy opens on Grand River in Rosedale area opens. Will the mayor come for the ribbon-cutting?

I have seen four or five such new enterprises in that westside area. As it is legal to have a dispensary for medical cannabis I speculate that these entrepreneurs are positioning themselves in anticipation of Michigan legalizing recreational use of cannabis.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Name:  Sample density.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  175.3 KB
    I assume that map came from WeedMaps.com.

Tate is not the only one champion for new rules re. marijuana shops as recently as late Semtember. Even to the level of applying ordinance on operation times, monitoring crime and corruption etc. Detroiter's are weighing in. See recent article: A proposed ordinance regulating medical marijuana dispensaries in Detroit could ban drive-thru windows and limit hours at the establishments in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Councilman Tate was espousing the evils of the Devil's herb this morning on WJR, feeding Frank Beckman's contention that our urban leaders are beginning to realize what a mistake the city is making by not throwing our young people in jail and ruining their chances at gainful employment. Like working at the dispensary.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 02:57 PM.

Yep. The density and disproportionate [[relative to city vs. suburbs) number of dispensaries in Detroit is clear. If you zoom out to outlying areas you'll see an occasional 'truck' Icon defining the seeming more discreet delivery options preferred in the suburbs......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I assume that map came from WeedMaps.com.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 09:21 PM.

Ordinance regulating Detroit medical marijuana dispensaries could ban drive-thru, limit hours

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/o...hours/35278434

The drive thru one on Gratiot Detroit is an interesting entity 'drive2udank' or whatever it's call . I wonder if they'll be expanding to Gratiot and 14? Doubtful....
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 12:53 PM.

I was talking to someone from Ann Arbor who used marijuana and they tried to convince me that the dispensaries actually make little money, and are just neutral entities within the community [[A2 has few dispensaries compared to a corner of Detroit).

We see a different narrative in the explosion this summer of dispensaries in the D. If the number of marijuana 'walk-in, walk-up, drive-in' dispensaries is such a grand service/ resource for the community why not the same density in the suburbs? Why not Livonia? They have some shuttered retail space for a dispensary or two, or three...

Arguably a percentage of our Detroit, eh' dispensaries addressed the 'profitability' margin problem as corruption [[illegally selling openly to anyone walking in, etc) was the prerequisite factor of the store-opening business plan!

ROI's considered - as one would with a business anticipating to succeed: location being a strong factor relative to the consumer.

It's going to be something to see how our high numbers play out over the next 24 months.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    So far the people that I have seen going into these joints [[pun intended) are young 20 something males, both black and white. Now, can someone tell me what medical condition might these young whippersnappers have? Who are the doctors that are giving them prescriptions for the medical erb? Seriously, does this type of business really help Detroit? Some say the businesses will pay taxes. Really? What about unforeseen costs? Who's gonna pay the extra costs for police when these places become targets for robbers and thieves?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-15 at 06:05 AM.

Hah! I know I've been away from Detyes a great deal the last four weeks - regarding this post specifically. But no, Duggin seems to not be feeling the current setup:

"We need to get an ordinance passed, because right now we have no ability to enforce anything," Duggan

More from the September freep article:
    The Free Press found three drive-through dispensaries, each in a former restaurant or bank that had drive-through lanes. The managers or owners of two of the dispensaries defended their drive-through windows, saying they are useful for people with disabilities that affect their mobility or other medical conditions.

The owner of the recently opened 420 Dank, located in a former coney island restaurant on Gratiot near the Detroit Police Department's Eastern District Offices, said she understands concerns about the mushrooming number of dispensaries in Detroit, but she said it's unfair to single out those with drive-through windows.
    I'm glad to see Dug-in and the City powers doing the 12 hour scramble to pass something, anything. I can sense this will be another well thought out, workable, ordinance.

^^^ Well HT, the saturation point will level off soon I imagine. We probably have close to 200 dispensaries by now. It's not a good look for a city that is on the move supposedly, upward. Thus the density is not found elsewhere in Michigan. Some cities simply refuse to allow marijuana dispensaries. Period.

Dispensaries by way of marketing and competition participate in and are reviewed ala consumer sites, relative to quality and service. So like any business there will be those staying and some going. Dispensaries that insist on increasing their revenue edge by selling to those without a card will be raided as the word gets out.

The nearby dispensary will not mourn their closing!

In other cities zoning laws were passed per unyielding community complaint. People need not be silent where they see questionable activities.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-15 at 06:04 AM.

I'm down for and support free enterprise related to capitalism etc. But the density of, coupled with an inconsistent willingness of some dispensaries to adhere to core rules [[selling only to those who have a card) rendered a level corruption almost front-loaded at the gate. No surprises really. Only the number of shops is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Sounds like the market responding with supply for a nearly unlimited demand. Capitalism at work. I see nothing wrong here...and a whole bunch of things right.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-15 at 05:58 AM.

^^^ Well HT, the saturation point will level off soon I imagine. We probably have close to 200 dispensaries by now. It's not a good look for a city that is on the move supposedly, upward. Thus the density is not found elsewhere in Michigan. Some cities simply refuse to allow marijuana dispensaries. Period.

Dispensaries by way of marketing and competition participate in and are reviewed ala consumer sites, relative to quality and service. So like any business there will be those staying and some going. Dispensaries that insist on increasing their revenue edge by selling to those without a card will be raided as the word gets out.

The nearby dispensary will not mourn their closing!

In other cities zoning laws were passed per unyielding community complaint. People need not be silent where they see questionable activities.
    Zacha341, First off, I don't believe Marahoochie is the end-all, be-all, natural cure-all, some people make it out to be. I also don't think it's the evil substance portrayed in Reefer Madness. I have a card carrying friend that was strongly advised by his Doctor to stop or pay the price. He stopped. Too much of anything is too much for me. However, it also has a lot of useful purposes, and is fun. It's no worse then alcohol, maybe better. I have no problem, in fact, I encourage, regulating it. Just like liquor stores, I don't think "dispensaries" should be within a certain distance of school areas, and I think there should be age limits imposed, or parental involvement, if it is being prescribed for minors. I do get the impression, that after all this time to think about it, and come up with some legal guidelines for distribution, the City IS finally scrambling, now that "dispensaries" are popping up like mushrooms, to pass something, anything. I'd really like to see some level-headed, non "wrath-of-God" workable legislation regarding the substance.

We agree! I'm not one to fully dismiss the moral/ social objections, but I chose to weigh in on the zoning end of the issue. And as you mention marijuana's not a 'cure all', so why do we have more dispensaries per sq. ft. in Detroit then say medical clinics, wellness centers, work-training facilities, grocery stores or counseling centers for those suffering mental illness or depression?

Interestingly the straw-man argument that only 'religious zealots' or con-ser-va-tives are up in arms is fading as the city is becomes peppered with dispensaries. No, conversely, I think varied people living in the community ARE demanding accountability as the wave of this arches before us.

Guidelines must be in place along with reasonable zoning and regulation! Just like the liquor stores!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-15 at 03:12 PM.

Does anybody know where the weed stores get their inventory from? Are there wholesalers? Is it inspected by any government entity? How about pricing, who sets that? Does that vary from store to store?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Does anybody know where the weed stores get their inventory from? Are there wholesalers?...
    My understanding is that there's a rather low limit on how much each grower can produce so I think that would pretty much preclude any wholesaling. I think each grower has to be limited to a small number of specific patients too. But I'm no expert.

I think it's funny. It seems the industry was repressed for so long that when it finally did escape, it burst out under pressure like some hideously deformed popcorn kernel that nobody quite understands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    My understanding is that there's a rather low limit on how much each grower can produce so I think that would pretty much preclude any wholesaling. I think each grower has to be limited to a small number of specific patients too. But I'm no expert.

I think it's funny. It seems the industry was repressed for so long that when it finally did escape, it burst out under pressure like some hideously deformed popcorn kernel that nobody quite understands.
    Popcorn! That sounds GOOD! I gotta make a run to the gas station..... And a bottle of Mountain Dew. Maybe a Klondike bar, or TWO! And some Cheetos, and, and, and.........

wonder what affect this has on the unofficial marijuana dispensary density industry.

Website carry stock including marijuana infused candies, sweets and cakes I hear. The actual grass? I dunno. Who inspects? Double??

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Does anybody know where the weed stores get their inventory from? Are there wholesalers? Is it inspected by any government entity? How about pricing, who sets that? Does that vary from store to store?

Want to know where they all are? Loveland has just come out with a map of MM dispensaries.
    https://makeloveland.com/reports/weed

In 2008, Michigan voters approved an act that legalized the medical use of marijuana. Today over 96,000 people throughout the State of Michigan are registered patients, leading to the creation of a network of growers and caregivers who cultivate and sell medical marijuana, as well as retail locations known as dispensaries.

In October of 2015, Loveland Technologies began surveying all known medical marijuana dispensaries located along major commercial corridors in Detroit with the aim of determining how many dispensaries are active in the city and where they are located. This survey used a combination of online resources for finding dispensaries and canvasing of over 400 miles of commercial corridors to arrive at the conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

The evil weed.....

Could NOT feel his own hands? Grand. Glad he wasn't driving----! Eh, per the article, he had a sho' nuf strong case of the MUNCHIES toooo!

Article: The Youngstown Vindicator reports that Austintown Township police on Friday found the 22-year-old man curled in a fetal position on the floor, groaning and surrounded by snacks that included Doritos, Goldfish crackers and Chips Ahoy cookies.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-15 at 06:05 AM.

And so it begins. www.clickondetroit.com. Type "marijuana" in search box. This happened two blocks from where I live.
    Last edited by royce; October-08-15 at 04:14 AM.

What an interesting first of the month, indeed!

There's one a couple I've noted that keep all kinds of hours. Lots of folks trying out their purchases on the lot. I hope the young store owner or manager recovers.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-15 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    And so it begins. www.clickondetroit.com. Type "marijuana" in search box. This happened two blocks from where I live.
    It looks like you were trying to link to this article: 1 person shot at medical marijuana dispensary on Detroit's west side.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast