Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Marijuana dispensary density in Detroit! It is a zoning problem?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed an increased expansion of the number of marijuana dispensaries within the city over the last 60 days? I noticed two go up within a half mile in two weeks on the near west side [[West Grand Blvd and Linwood area).

West Seven Mile for example has them nearly every corner on one area. With an approximate total of ten between the Telegraph and and US10! Eight Mile, east to west, spanning the whole city border is peppered well over that with a new one added last week [[see map below). Just driving is all that is required to see the density compared to surrounding suburbs. Most of the dispensaries bear the green cross and in some cases green neon lighting. Names range from So and So's Holistic Center to what seems to be a mega center on E. Eight Mile called House of Dank - ?

Setting aside the moral issue, how will it bow for Detroit having this number of marijuana dispensaries topping out to well over 100, and growing. Is there any current discussion regarding zoning regulations? See below to verify the density within the city proper:

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/in...n/west-detroit
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-06-15 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Is it just me of has anyone else noticed an high expansion of the number marijuana dispensaries within the city limits over the last 60 days -- literally? I noticed two go up within a half mile in two weeks on the near west side [[West Grand Blvd and Linwood area).

West Seven Mile for example has them nearly every corner on one area. With an approximate total of ten between the Telegraph and and US10! Eight Mile, east to west, the whole city border is peppered well over that with a new one added last week [[see map below). Just driving is all that is required to see the density compared to surrounding suburbs. Most of the dispensaries bear the green cross and in some cases green neon lighting. Names range from So and So's Holistic Center to what seems to be a mega center on E. Eight Mile called House of Dank?

Setting aside the moral issue, how will it bow for Detroit having this number of marijuana dispensaries topping out to well over 100, and growing. Is there any current discussion regarding zoning regulations? See below to verify the density within the city proper:

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/in...n/west-detroit

I think the problem here is they forget where they opened them.

this means that any number of raids will be conducted by the Detroit Police, and supported by Bill Schuette's regime. Look for select evidence to disappear, even when no charges are made.

They're growing like weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    They're growing like weeds.
    More thefts and robberies. That's an all cash business, so the dispensaries will need armed guards.

Great time to be a pot head.

Wow a new pharmacy opens on Grand River in Rosedale area opens. Will the mayor come for the ribbon-cutting?
    Name:  pharmacy-green.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  74.6 KB

I have seen four or five such new enterprises in that westside area. As it is legal to have a dispensary for medical cannabis I speculate that these entrepreneurs are positioning themselves in anticipation of Michigan legalizing recreational use of cannabis.

As the City of Detroit has already legalized recreational cannabis, in gray-area conflict with state and federal law, my speculation is that these investors view it as a safer place to set up. I would also be curious to know if successful entrepreneurs in Colorado could be behind these businesses.

I am always curious about who they get to design these places. This Kush Kab logo looks like a Grateful Dead follower van.
    Name:  kush-kab.png
Views: 1284
Size:  250.0 KB
    A little googling of kush cab indicates that they are anticipating a cannabis cab delivery service.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Will the mayor come for the ribbon-cutting?
    Will the Mayor come to get his prescription filled?

Hah! I know I've been away from Detyes a great deal the last four weeks - regarding this post specifically. But no, Duggin seems to not be feeling the current setup:

"We need to get an ordinance passed, because right now we have no ability to enforce anything," Duggan

More from the September freep article:
    The Free Press found three drive-through dispensaries, each in a former restaurant or bank that had drive-through lanes. The managers or owners of two of the dispensaries defended their drive-through windows, saying they are useful for people with disabilities that affect their mobility or other medical conditions.

The owner of the recently opened 420 Dank, located in a former coney island restaurant on Gratiot near the Detroit Police Department's Eastern District Offices, said she understands concerns about the mushrooming number of dispensaries in Detroit, but she said it's unfair to single out those with drive-through windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Will the Mayor come to get his prescription filled?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 11:49 AM.

Hah! I know I've been away from Detyes a great deal the last four weeks - regarding this post specifically. But no, Duggin seems to not be feeling the current setup:

"We need to get an ordinance passed, because right now we have no ability to enforce anything," Duggan

More from the September freep article:
    The Free Press found three drive-through dispensaries, each in a former restaurant or bank that had drive-through lanes. The managers or owners of two of the dispensaries defended their drive-through windows, saying they are useful for people with disabilities that affect their mobility or other medical conditions.

The owner of the recently opened 420 Dank, located in a former coney island restaurant on Gratiot near the Detroit Police Department's Eastern District Offices, said she understands concerns about the mushrooming number of dispensaries in Detroit, but she said it's unfair to single out those with drive-through windows.
    I'm glad to see Dug-in and the City powers doing the 12 hour scramble to pass something, anything. I can sense this will be another well thought out, workable, ordinance.

Hah! They are going up so fast no one has time go get the ribbon or the scissors for the 'openings'. And there's far less festivities in the suburbs. Their activity where it is are mostly 'delivery' businesses. They're not going have a dispensary on every corner, green lights a blazing, odd hours and the problem of potential corruption.

So why are we rolling out the eh' green carpet so readily?

Since I started this post there are even more dispensaries in the D. Thankfully, there's finally some push back regarding regulation and zoning. See updated map that confirms our current density [[a zoomed in view reflects more). They've out paced liquor stores and dialysis clinics!

Name:  Sample density.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  175.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Wow a new pharmacy opens on Grand River in Rosedale area opens. Will the mayor come for the ribbon-cutting?

I have seen four or five such new enterprises in that westside area. As it is legal to have a dispensary for medical cannabis I speculate that these entrepreneurs are positioning themselves in anticipation of Michigan legalizing recreational use of cannabis.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 03:02 PM.

Name:  Sample density.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  175.3 KB
    I assume that map came from WeedMaps.com.

Yep. The density and disproportionate [[relative to city vs. suburbs) number of dispensaries in Detroit is clear. If you zoom out to outlying areas you'll see an occasional 'truck' Icon defining the seeming more discreet delivery options preferred in the suburbs......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I assume that map came from WeedMaps.com.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 09:21 PM.

As long as they're paying taxes, creating jobs and not participating in or instigating criminal activity, I don't have a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As long as they're paying taxes, creating jobs and not participating in or instigating criminal activity, I don't have a problem with them.
    Dodging taxes, only employing family,fueling bad behavior. These places are the latest get rich quick scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Dodging taxes, only employing family,fueling bad behavior. These places are the latest get rich quick scheme.
    Sounds like a party store or gas station.

Sounds like the market responding with supply for a nearly unlimited demand. Capitalism at work. I see nothing wrong here...and a whole bunch of things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Sounds like the market responding with supply for a nearly unlimited demand. Capitalism at work. I see nothing wrong here...and a whole bunch of things right.
    You say this but look at Denver! The place is a total dump. I see nothing to emulate. *sarcasm*

I think Cannabis could be huge for Detroit, it could be a tourist factor if Michigan went the route of Colorado. Be the first Midwest state to outright legalize. In Denver, someone from out of state can go into a dispensary and purchase product for an additional "out of state" fee.

Problem is, the Governor and his "no comment" approach to even talking about it makes me think its got a ways to go. Not to mention Bill Schuette. *sigh*

I'm down for and support free enterprise related to capitalism etc. But the density of, coupled with an inconsistent willingness of some dispensaries to adhere to core rules [[selling only to those who have a card) rendered a level corruption almost front-loaded at the gate. No surprises really. Only the number of shops is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-15 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sounds like a party store or gas station.

Sounds like a politician.

The Kush Kab reminds of two things...

Soul Train and Crosby Stills & Nash

All aboard the Merry Kush Express

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    The Kush Kab reminds of two things...

Soul Train and Crosby Stills & Nash

All aboard the Merry Kush Express

One of my favorite groups from back in the day

And from this mornings freep

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015...king/71720352/
    Last edited by SDCC; September-08-15 at 07:35 AM.

Councilman Tate was espousing the evils of the Devil's herb this morning on WJR, feeding Frank Beckman's contention that our urban leaders are beginning to realize what a mistake the city is making by not throwing our young people in jail and ruining their chances at gainful employment. Like working at the dispensary.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-08-15 at 03:51 PM.

Tate is not the only one champion for new rules re. marijuana shops as recently as late Semtember. Even to the level of applying ordinance on operation times, monitoring crime and corruption etc. Detroiter's are weighing in. See recent article: A proposed ordinance regulating medical marijuana dispensaries in Detroit could ban drive-thru windows and limit hours at the establishments in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Councilman Tate was espousing the evils of the Devil's herb this morning on WJR, feeding Frank Beckman's contention that our urban leaders are beginning to realize what a mistake the city is making by not throwing our young people in jail and ruining their chances at gainful employment. Like working at the dispensary.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-15 at 02:57 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast