Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I'm not surprised. The Tigers, much to the cheers here at DetroitYes forum, raised the white flag and sold off this season to rebuild the farm system.
    emusteve, since you didn't reply to my earlier post, I'll reiterate, the Tigers were going to have to spend a likely 50 million anually to keep Price and Cespedes. The team payroll this year is 160 million.
    When the season flopped they knew the right thing to do was trade for prospects. You act like the Tigers had won 10 in a row when these guys were traded, its laughable. They were barely playing 500 ball.

I'm not surprised. The Tigers, much to the cheers here at DetroitYes forum, raised the white flag and sold off this season to rebuild the farm system.

Right now our starting pitchers are Verlander [[pitching very well) and, er, pray for 4-days of rain. Other than JV there are better pitching staffs in the minors pitching for teams which have excellent farms than our starters. Simon, Wolf, Boyd, etc. aren't going to scare anyone...
    It was still the right move. We got 4 good young arms, two of which will likely be in the rotation next year and a good middle-infield prospect. We weren't going to even finish .500 with the current bullpen. There was no way to know both Sanchez and Norris would hit the DL. I have no problem with the deadline trades but there's no excuse for the two boneheaded defensive plays Gose made on the weekend, the one everyday player who doesn't have his job locked up for next year. Also, the lack of running to 1st base was inexcusable. The laziness of the vets is starting to affect the younger players.

Right now our starting pitchers are Verlander [[pitching very well) and, er, pray for 4-days of rain. Other than JV there are better pitching staffs in the minors pitching for teams which have excellent farms than our starters. Simon, Wolf, Boyd, etc. aren't going to scare anyone...
    Dude; JV's record is 2-6 & he won only 1 game in his last 8 starts......they need to "move" him out, along with his bloated contract [[just like Prince)!

Tigers’ center-field position ranks just above last in the American League when measured by Baseball Reference’s wins above average by position. The Tigers came in at -1.0.
    This, by the way, isn’t the Tigers’ worst position, by far. They rank last in starting pitching [[-4.2), DH [[-2.7) and third base [[-1.6), and second-to-last in relief pitching [[-3.6). It’s kind of easy to see why the club is struggling so much to win ballgames.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Dude; JV's record is 2-6 & he won only 1 game in his last 8 starts......they need to "move" him out, along with his bloated contract [[just like Prince)!
    I hope I have the screen graphic [[on my phone) from a telecast showing JV's 'first half' and 'second half' season.

He has pitched like an all-star the 2nd half of his abbreviated season.

I'll try to find it...

Better yet... Here are JV's stats from the Tigers' website [[official stats):

ERA 1.38. WHIP 0.79. 8 walks. 49 strikeouts [[52 innings). Those are all-star numbers. Started 7 games and pitched 52 innings which is GREAT for a team w/out a bullpen.

http://m.mlb.com/player/434378/justin-verlander

Last 7 Games 2 3 1.38 7 7 0 52.0 33 8 8 49 0.79
    Last edited by emu steve; September-01-15 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    emusteve, since you didn't reply to my earlier post, I'll reiterate, the Tigers were going to have to spend a likely 50 million anually to keep Price and Cespedes. The team payroll this year is 160 million.
    When the season flopped they knew the right thing to do was trade for prospects. You act like the Tigers had won 10 in a row when these guys were traded, its laughable. They were barely playing 500 ball.
    Other than a terrible bullpen [[which probably cost us this season and Dombrowski his job), we've had injuries which really hurt: Miggy, V-Mart, and JV.

I believe we were +3 when Miggy got hurt. We don't win without him or without him being 90% healthy or better.

Yes, the payroll is very big because of the veteran players with huge salaries, but Mike Ilitch never sent me a private message to ask if I objected. If he doesn't have a problem, I don't have a problem.

Other than a terrible bullpen [[which probably cost us this season and Dombrowski his job), we've had injuries which really hurt: Miggy, V-Mart, and JV.

I believe we were +3 when Miggy got hurt. We don't win without him or without him being 90% healthy or better.

Yes, the payroll is very big because of the veteran players with huge salaries, but Mike Ilitch never sent me a private message to ask if I objected. If he doesn't have a problem, I don't have a problem.
    Steve, we already have a pretty high payroll compared to most teams, where did that get us this year? The Tigers weren't very good, and 3 games over 500 while the Royals are 20 isn't going to cut it. Now you want management to give this roster another shot together by increasing the payroll another 35 million? No thanks..

I'd rather they spend the money wisely and actually fix the pen and center field. If we are going to have a 200 million dollar payroll, it better not be the same exact group of players from this disaster...

Okay, I'd like to see Cespedes back. One or two new starters. Two new relievers. And pray that some of the kids we acquired in July can contribute as at least back of the rotation starters [[JV and Sanchez are two of the top three).

#1 - Verlander,
    #2 - FA,
    #3 - Sanchez,
    #4 - Norris [[?),
    #5 - FA

As far as this season, I think everyone has tossed the towel and moved on to football or next season [[whatever a person's preference and interests are).

No way can this team match the intensity of the Blue Jays who are sky high headed to October.

Still sliding deeeeper into last place, only 21 games behind.....great "win now" strategy from new GM.

Still sliding deeeeper into last place, only 21 games behind.....great "win now" strategy from new GM.
    When Avila said "win now" he meant they would retool at the end of the season and try to win again next year with the same core line-up as opposed to going into a long-term rebuild. Obviously they had no way to remake the pitching staff this year.

Disappointing season, to say the least. The hits have been there all year; the timely hits have not. The double plays they've hit into are mind boggling. And the pitching.....well, except for Verlander....puts them where they belong, in the basement. But come next April, the old ball park will be packed, and talk of a World Series will be on the platter. Hey, win, lose, or draw, we love 'em, don't we?

If the baseball draft wasn't such a crapshoot, you'd swear this team tanked it and was playing for draft position.

The most disappointing thing and perhaps the coldest slap in the face, was when after the all-star break they REALLY knew they needed to play giddy-up baseball, and they've been flat on their feet ever since. A few individual stand-out performers, but as a whole, they are a sad and deflated group. They have played uninspired, un-fundamental, and dumb baseball for nearly a whole season, but they took it to a new level in the 2nd half. Ausmus is a dead-man walking and the entire team knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    When Avila said "win now" he meant they would retool at the end of the season and try to win again next year with the same core line-up as opposed to going into a long-term rebuild. Obviously they had no way to remake the pitching staff this year.
    Not true;

Avila said in the release. "I believe I'm uniquely qualified to be successful in this role in leading the organization. We're confident we can make a strong push to win this year......

Not true;

Avila said in the release. "I believe I'm uniquely qualified to be successful in this role in leading the organization. We're confident we can make a strong push to win this year......
    Fair enough. I didn't see that quote. I was referring to another where he stated Ilitch would still be in "win now" mode for next year which I thought was kinda dumb seeing as they really have no choice with their big unmovable contracts.

Looking at the Tigers this year, makes me really respect how St Louis, another storied baseball franchise, seems to make the right choices on financial and personnel decisions. They always are in the mix for a playoff and W.S. run every season it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Looking at the Tigers this year, makes me really respect how St Louis, another storied baseball franchise, seems to make the right choices on financial and personnel decisions. They always are in the mix for a playoff and W.S. run every season it seems.
    Absolutely fantastic club, you're right, they're always in it.

Two words: Ron Washington. He knows how to win. Ausmus had Leyland's team his first year and couldn't make anything happen this year. He needs to go and take Jeff Jones with you! Gardenhire [[whose name has been tossed around) couldn't win in Minnesota, so how is he going to win in Detroit?

Tiger's SUCK!!!! Oh well! I better go to my last Tiger's Game before they whole team retires. Next year I'm not going to Tiger's game until they reach the playoffs.

From first to last place in 5 months. That is so embarrassing.

Thanks a heap! DUMB-rowski. Go enjoy your stay in Boston!
    Last edited by Danny; September-11-15 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Tiger's SUCK!!!! Oh well! I better go to my last Tiger's Game before they whole team retires. Next year I'm not going to Tiger's game until they reach the playoffs.

From first to last place in 5 months. That is so embarrassing.

Thanks a heap! DUMB-rowski. Go enjoy your stay in Toronto!
    Actually, it's Boston. But I'm sure he will. This is what happens when executives screw up. He gets a big raise and goes to an organization with a better farm system and probably a higher payroll. By the way, the Tigers "2 runs or less" game total has reached 55.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Two words: Ron Washington. He knows how to win. Ausmus had Leyland's team his first year and couldn't make anything happen this year. He needs to go and take Jeff Jones with you! Gardenhire [[whose name has been tossed around) couldn't win in Minnesota, so how is he going to win in Detroit?
    Casey Stengel bombed managing the Boston Braves and the Brooklyn Dodgers. Called on to manage the Yankees, he was suddenly a genius. Later with the Mets, he bombed again [[42-120).

Ughg%#@%* We lost to Cleveland tonight 5-7.

GHETTO ALERT!

[[former) Tiger's manager Brad Ausmus is FIRED!!! He put the Tigers from first to last place. What a awful season for our baseball team. Now let the worst season begins. Just like the did in the 1990s. You will not see me go next year's Tiger's game.

Tiger's stat: Lost 15 of their last 20 games.....strong rumor is Gardenhire will be mgr, deal done, just waiting till the season end [[why-fire now!).

Tiger's stat: Lost 15 of their last 20 games.....strong rumor is Gardenhire will be mgr, deal done, just waiting till the season end [[why-fire now!).
    While our season has tanked fmr. Tigers Cespedes and Price are carrying their new teams on their backs...

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/usa-t...13510/TextView

I can understand trading Price because we had little chance of retaining him.

HOWEVER, I'm now afraid that our chances of getting Cespedes back are probably close to nihil now.

Cespedes really starting hitting in July and has been on a tear in TOR [[17 HRs in 43 games). Price has been very right in TOR [[7 - 1, 2.17).

The article discusses what Cespedes and Price are doing, by carrying their new teams on their back to the post season... x 4
    Last edited by emu steve; September-18-15 at 09:52 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3