Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The material used today is fiberglass....here is a link to work that was done several years ago on the Gabriel Richard building at Washington Blvd and Michigan Ave. Detroit Cornice and Slate is another long standing Detroit company lucky to be around and restore buildings that the firm worked on when they were new construction...

http://compositesandarchitecture.com/?p=3537

In addition, here is the article regarding Detroit Savngs Bank bldg. at State and Griswold...the first building in Capital Park to have the cornice restored. It gives a nice overview of what happened to the cornices throughout the city.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...troit/15322677
    Last edited by detroitbob; September-04-15 at 12:53 PM.

Here's one more detailed article from The Construction Specifier on the David Whitney Building's restoration:

http://www.constructionspecifier.com...hundred-years/

This week should show major progress...the north pediment should be completed and ongoing window surround brickwork should give a hint on what is to come.

Any chance somebody could post some update photos. I would love to see the progress.

They haven't added any pieces since the last picture. They have finished three windows like the one pictured earlier. Basically, almost nothing has happened in two weeks [[since before Jazz Fest). Their barrels and materials are all close to the building. I think it may be due to the work being done on Woodward. It is a mess right now.

I was running late, but snapped a few pictures while crossing the street this morning. Sorry about the finger in the one! As you can see, nothing has happened in a while. After I left last night, they actually took everything off of the sidewalk except for the barrels.
    Name:  mabley091820151.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  148.8 KBName:  mabley091820152.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  115.9 KB

Thanks for the photos!

On my way to lunch, I saw some guys up in a cherry picker. I forgot to see if they progress when I left work. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.

The North portion is almost finished. Crates of the remaining parts are on the sidewalk. Should be completed in due course.Name:  20151105_164836.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  108.1 KB
    Last edited by detroitbob; November-06-15 at 02:51 AM.

They have finished putting all of the pieces up and even began painting [[Just primer, I assume, since it is stark white.) sometime yesterday or this morning. It is hard to tell since it is dark when I go into work and dark when I leave. I grabbed lunch at Which Wich today and noticed it on my way back. I would have snapped a picture but it was raining and I forgot my umbrella in my car.

This is from Bedrocks website, the brochure for the Mabley Building has this image. I hope they use this color scheme it looks nice.

Name:  2015-11-19_7-44-43.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  124.6 KB

Wow I would not have expected that rendering based on what I have see so far. It is nice, but very stripped down of the ornamentation of the original. That rendering suggests that they will be potentially adding more detail as they go along. The building would look great if it ends up as it is pictured there.

As of noon today

Name:  IMG_0902.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  162.3 KB

You can't see it in the picture, but they have done the trim/brickwork around all of the second floor windows except for the second set [[of three) from the right. When I was able to pay better attention this morning, I noticed it. So I'm not sure what is up with the primer going on if they still have brickwork to do.

That does look great. I wonder, though, if the folks that run Bangkok Crossing have seen that their restaurant is now called "tailored"?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    That does look great. I wonder, though, if the folks that run Bangkok Crossing have seen that their restaurant is now called "tailored"?
    according the Bedrock, their space is up for lease. i assume they're going to close, which i'm ok with.

http://www.bedrockmgt.com/properties...uite=100&clk=y

I correct my previous statement about the windows. Upon further inspection, it alternates. The two sets below the slight arch have been left plain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2