Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I frankly didn't think the hand to mouth marketing was that aggressive but I am guessing that coupled with the high profile of more billboards pushing cigs in the ghettoes, this made for pretty handsome profits.
    Progressives and other Compulsives should take care to not make smoking cool. Something countercultural.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Progressives and other Compulsives should take care to not make smoking cool. Something countercultural.
    Unprogressives and neo-cons should keep their arms and figers crossed hoping cigarette companies make a comeback?

The best tip I ever received was to buy RJR at less than $20/share about 15 years ago and no I don't condone smoking and yes as long as it is a legal commodity I have zero problem investing for my retirement. Sorry no qualms or regrets.

Unprogressives and neo-cons should keep their arms and figers crossed hoping cigarette companies make a comeback?
    Cigarette smoking's decline has been social, not the result of 'bans'. Compulsion can destroy progress.

Don't buy into the B.S. Philip Morris "Truth" campaign. John Oliver called them out on how they were actually suing small countries that had very direct and unflattering warning labels on their packs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8Seems they can pretend that they have half-hearted activists [[like the clipboard *ssholes that pester folks in a counterproductive manner in Central Square Cambridge) "combating" cigarettes evils, but realistically, they wouldn't want it to be that effective, now would they?

You want something to fail? Have it produce over-the-top lies or transparently manipulative metaphors [[like the "This Is Your Brain on Drugs" frying egg crud) that are basically challenging and daring kids to defy the propaganda being shoved down their throat. I don't see ads of people peeling their skin off at cash registers or inhaling monsters in the woods doing the trick. It's only going to cause kids to want to do the opposite in natural juvenile defiance. It's treating kids as if they are stupid and have to be talked "at" and not "with".

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Cigarette smoking's decline has been social, not the result of 'bans'. Compulsion can destroy progress.
    You mean to say: if I were seated in a restaurant back in 1990 and wanted the couple at a table next to me to stop smoking, just ask politely? That's social.

Nowadays, I don't bother, it's smoke free by law, therefore banned. I don't have to tell you how much of.an incentive to stop this has been. I don't know, but I suspect making smokers have a harder time of it may help. All these folks having to cigarette break in January outside their workplace helps a little bit.

You mean to say: if I were seated in a restaurant back in 1990 and wanted the couple at a table next to me to stop smoking, just ask politely? That's social.

Nowadays, I don't bother, it's smoke free by law, therefore banned. I don't have to tell you how much of.an incentive to stop this has been. I don't know, but I suspect making smokers have a harder time of it may help. All these folks having to cigarette break in January outside their workplace helps a little bit.
    I recall hearing years ago that smoking by black teenagers, and later all teenagers was in
    decline. Nobody knew why.

Was it the result of smoking bans? Or was social behavior ahead of the government? I don't know. And neither do those who think 'bans' are the best tool for social change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2