Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca.../8612764-story

Yeah nothing ever happens in BH lmao
    I don't think there have been three cars stolen in all of Grosse Pointe in the last three months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the immediate blocks closest to the Pointes have less gunfire than 20 years ago, simply because they're almost rural at this point.

As usual you have you head up your ass
    . Except for Alter Road between Kercheval and Mack Avenue the area surrounding GP is still pretty dense with housing. 20 years ago there was almost no gunfire. The gunfire is a more recent occurrence. Also non of us were saying the eastside was prefect and there is no crime. For me I was commenting on what I hear almost every day of the year. With retail again you are clueless, the reason most big boxes and other amenities do not move to the eastside is not the crime, its the Lake. Half the theoretical patrons do not exist and that scares everyone off. Last I am glad you stay your little hovel in Birmingham we do not want dumb ass' like you in Grosse Pointe.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Considering how GP used to be in the days when it meant something to live there, it doesn't compare to the quality of life available today in BH or B'Ham in Oakland County. We left after Jake's closed in the Village and it wasn't replaced by a store of similar caliber. That really did signal the beginning of the end because it showed that the town could no longer support high end retail. The town did take aggressive steps to stop the infiltration of Detroiters crossing it's borders. Punch and Judy shutdown. Esquire Theater shutdown. Other stores in what had been a shopping district pushed out and torn down for GPP to start acquiring land to build its Gothic Line to have a beach head of surveillance for Alter Rd including installing street islands and stop lights to essentially bring traffic on Jefferson to a stop when crossing the border. If you consider there is no hardware store outside of going into the ghetto of Morningside to Warren Ave or taking your chances getting shot while visiting Eastland in Harper Woods, I'd hardly reference driving a half an hour to Hall Rd a feature of living in Grosse Pointe if you need a garden hose or want to go to Best Buy or Macy's. "We don't want stores like that here" is a nonsensical way of saying 'there's no convenient place to shop if you live here.' As for dining, not many top chefs in the area call The Hill home compared to downtown B'Ham where there is a dozen or so good places to eat and several more high end restaurants. Not sure how many logical people make home investment decisions without considering the amount of appreciation they expect since a home is usually the largest investment most families have in the U.S. The schools are good for now but North HS and the elementary schools feeding it have increasing numbers of Harper Woods students which is a drag on the caliber of the system and people know it regardless of what they are willing to admit. You can't beat the schools in BH which are diverse with no racial tension. The taxes are high in GP for good city services but more and more of it goes for public safety which is not going to change anytime soon especially with Harper Woods going section 8 housing and the likelihood of Eastland closing which will mean even less money for Public Safety. GP has unique features and proximity to downtown which in 20 years might be a valuable differentiator. The Motor City is all about driving though so there will always be families wanting to escape the urban feel of the city to raise their families. An extra few minutes behind the wheel isn't a big deal to most people today.

Funny how this competition is coming down. On the one hand you have the burb vs city feel throughout much of your post. I don't doubt what you say is true about the newfangled, Top chef places to hang out in BH beating the old hat more sedentary attributes of the Pointes. i think this burb vs city is present everywhere in NAmerica but was raised to an ultimate artform in Detroit. It looks like one burb is pitted against another much like the old tribes circling Rome were betting on who would bring the last blow to Rome's greatness.

Anyhow, have at it. It is entertaining. No need to buy corporate tickets to Tiger's games.

I figure that if all the energy spent fucking Detroit metro's image as a regional pastime was convoluted a full 180 degrees, Detroit would bloom with the help of suburban forces at work.
    What if Detroit's municipality were rebuilt piecemeal by a contigent of sub-urban positivists. What if the idea of metro consolidation came from without as well as within? What if?

I sho' hope I did'n insul' nobody somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post

As usual you have you head up your ass
    . Except for Alter Road between Kercheval and Mack Avenue the area surrounding GP is still pretty dense with housing. 20 years ago there was almost no gunfire. The gunfire is a more recent occurrence. Also non of us were saying the eastside was prefect and there is no crime. For me I was commenting on what I hear almost every day of the year. With retail again you are clueless, the reason most big boxes and other amenities do not move to the eastside is not the crime, its the Lake. Half the theoretical patrons do not exist and that scares everyone off. Last I am glad you stay your little hovel in Birmingham we do not want dumb ass' like you in Grosse Pointe.

Watch that language. You are so fucking rude, time and again, buddyrooni.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    ...More like $675k to $775k, NOT $1m.
    How dare you question Bham1982's answer, you know he's the resident authority on any and everything, pertaining to SE Michigan.

Again 82, you're completely wrong on this matter. Recall that you also falsely claimed that Bloomfield Village homes start at $1m. Real estate valuation is not your thing.

Sy, you're way off on this thread as well.

I drove down 14 Mile between Woodward and Southfield Rd in Birmingham the other day, and some of the houses on 14 near Woodward look like a Detroit neighborhood, yet they want $200,000 or more for them, not to mention the houses that are built up to tower over all the others
    Go figure........

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Exactly. that is the whole Birmingham mantra. You have to buy the new BMW every 2 years while in GP we are happy driving a 5 year old Buick or Lincoln and investing our money in things that don't depreciate. There is far more wealth in GP than there is in Birmingham, not that that makes for a quality of life. Most people in Grosse Pointe don't flaunt their wealth. Many folks in Birmingham like to pose and show off and lead you to believe that they are something far greater than they truly are. It is really very sad and pathetic. That is the difference between old money and new money.

People like Bham1982 will never understand what true quality of life is until they grow up and move out of their parent's homes and make their own way in the world.
    Ha , this post reminds me of that maxim, "Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success".

Danny and his use of "Richville" came to mind Sunday as I was in Richville, Mi.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4114...7i13312!8i6656

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Sy, you're way off on this thread as well.
    I have lived in GP for my entire life [[50 years). I have seen much in that time and I know of what I speak.

I have lived in GP for my entire life [[50 years). I have seen much in that time and I know of what I speak.
    It would probably provide some perspective and add some validity to your argument if you lived somewhere else for at least a portion of your life. GP is a fine place with some great people but I don't agree with everything you have said here...for instance those silly whale belts are pretty expensive and they certainly are an important part of many GPers image that they apparently don't care about because they're too busy living a meaningful life. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    It would probably provide some perspective and add some validity to your argument if you lived somewhere else for at least a portion of your life. GP is a fine place with some great people but I don't agree with everything you have said here...for instance those silly whale belts are pretty expensive and they certainly are an important part of many GPers image that they apparently don't care about because they're too busy living a meaningful life. Ha
    Is that painter pants utilitarian chic still going on in the Pointes? Smiley face...

Well it looks like someone hasn't been to Harper Woods or Roseville lately. Yeah good luck sending your daughter in law from some upscale burb on the east coast to Eastland or Gratiot to pick up some last minute items for Aunt Bitty's party...unless she likes Brooks Bros of course then she's out of luck. Also, good luck explaining to her that she needs to take someone with her to Eastland because it's not safe to send an out of towner by themselves.
    Anyone from Grosse Pointe who would travel all the way to Hall Road or Big Beaver Road just to shop at big-box retailers like Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Meijer, etc. [[unless Grosse Pointers are again too good to shop at these retailers) really have other issues going on unrelated to the health of Roseville or Harper Woods.

My point is plenty valid despite your assertions. Just because you disagree does not make it valid. You are certainly free to not agree with me just as you are free to not care for whale belts.

It does not matter in the least. The sun will still rise tomorrow morning and set tomorrow evening. Life goes on.

For what it is worth, I have lived elsewhere [[Cambridge, Massachusetts) while in college.

My point is plenty valid despite your assertions. Just because you disagree does not make it invalid. You are certainly free to not agree with me just as you are free to not care for whale belts, which by the way are not very expensive. You can purchase one for about $35 at Mike's Marine Supply in your home town of St. Clair Shores.

It does not matter in the least. The sun will still rise tomorrow morning and set tomorrow evening. Life goes on.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; August-17-15 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Anyone from Grosse Pointe who would travel all the way to Hall Road or Big Beaver Road just to shop at big-box retailers like Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Meijer, etc. [[unless Grosse Pointers are again too good to shop at these retailers) really have other issues going on unrelated to the health of Roseville or Harper Woods.
    Many of us do not have any use for the so-called "big box retailers". If I were to ever need a garden hose, as the example was made, I would patronize the fine hardware store located here in G.P.

As for my wife and I, we like to support our local independent merchants rather than drive out to one of the multitudes of strip malls along the 8 lane highways the likes of Gratiot, Hall Rd, Big Beaver, Van Dyke, etc. We have never wanted for anything due to the complete lack of any mega marts that Bham1982 says is destroying our town.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; August-17-15 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    People can shop where they want, it's a free country and no one's business. Always cracks me up when people accuse others of things without actually accusing them.

I still shop at Lowes and Home Depot right in HW even though two drivers were shot dead on Kelly Road in separate incidents this year. People say I'm nuts and they're probably right. I fear speeding soccer moms on Hall Road more than random violence I guess. I always get treated decently at those stores and never had an issue.

For what it is worth, I have lived elsewhere [[Cambridge, Massachusetts) while in college.

My point is plenty valid despite your assertions. Just because you disagree does not make it valid. You are certainly free to not agree with me just as you are free to not care for whale belts.

No argument there...well the last couple sentences at least and people having different taste makes the world interesting. Imagine if everyone wore whale belts.

No argument there...well the last couple sentences at least and people having different taste makes the world interesting. Imagine if everyone wore whale belts.
    I bought my whale belt in your home town of St. Clair Shores, at Mike's Marine Supply, on Jefferson just south of Ten Mile. Tell Mike Tusa I said hi when you stop in to buy yours.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; August-17-15 at 09:08 PM.

I bought my whale belt in your home town of St. Clair Shores, at Mike's Marine Supply. Tell Mike Tusa I said hi when you stop in to buy yours.
    Ha nice and of course everyone knows Mike. That's not my home town but I've lived there. Another fine town just like Grosse Pointe.

Ha nice and of course everyone knows Mike. That's not my home town but I've lived there. Another fine town just like Grosse Pointe.
    Yes, S.C.S. is a fine town, I kept boats there for many years. Your profile says that you live there now. Is that not correct?

Yes, S.C.S is a fine town, I kept boats there for many years. Your profile says that you live there now. Is that not correct?
    It was when I signed up for this site but I don't live there any more. I've lived a bunch of places but I grew up in Grosse Pointe. I don't have any of my whale belts anymore unfortunately but it was a great place to grow up. It's not the center of the world like some people think but it's a pretty nice place in a lot of ways.

It was when I signed up for this site but I don't live there any more. I've lived a bunch of places but I grew up in Grosse Pointe. I don't have any of my whale belts anymore unfortunately but it was a great place to grow up. It's not the center of the world like some people think but it's a pretty nice place in a lot of ways.
    Indeed it is! Let me know if you want another whale belt. I'll send you one.

Indeed it is! Let me know if you want another whale belt. I'll send you one.
    I'll take a 34 to 38 depending on the season and will even settle for one of those swine belts.

I'll take a 34 to 38 depending on the season and will even settle for one of those swine belts.
    I will not purchase a swine belt. Those are quite gauche.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast