Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You should have told him to tap on it to hear if it sounds hollow.
    Just don't tap the snout on that sow.
    Last edited by canuck; August-17-15 at 05:10 AM.

Today, fundamentalist zealots -- mostly Muslim -- have made this discussion relevant. They consider all westerners to be worthy to be killed, and don't respect civilians.

The idea that the US could have done things differently and avoided use of the bomb is worthy of discussion -- but we have to realize that you do think differently when the gun barrels are pointed at you and ready to fire.

Did the US save lives by killing Japanese civilians? Depends on your philosophy. Today's left and certainly believe that showing love to the mid-east will return peace to us. I don't agree, but I do hope that they are right.

just under 4 minutes long: "...the first atomic bomb used in warfare on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. ... the historic decision President Truman stood by for the rest of his life."

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly...35643#44035643

Here are the actual messages sent to all US Navy, Marines and Coast Guard personnel in the Atlantic Theater upon the unconditional surrenders of Germany and Japan.

VE Day: http://pf69.grobbel.org/alb_veday.htm
    VJ Day: http://pf69.grobbel.org/alb_vjday2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Today, fundamentalist zealots -- mostly Muslim -- have made this discussion relevant. They consider all westerners to be worthy to be killed, and don't respect civilians.

The idea that the US could have done things differently and avoided use of the bomb is worthy of discussion -- but we have to realize that you do think differently when the gun barrels are pointed at you and ready to fire.

Did the US save lives by killing Japanese civilians? Depends on your philosophy. Today's left and certainly believe that showing love to the mid-east will return peace to us. I don't agree, but I do hope that they are right.

As opposed to today's right which thinks endless war is the answer. Let me know when you enlist, Wesley. This 6-year Army veteran member of the left has had enough of needless warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    This 6-year Army veteran member of the left has had enough of needless warfare.
    Thank you for the [[seriously) refreshing input here and for your service to the country, while making a drastic change of heart.

Well I'm not going to get into the point-counterpoint about the horrors and victims of war....

But unlike Hiroshima and Nagasaki.... totally destroyed Dresden Germany is Europe's largest restoration/reconstruction project. The government of Germany and especially the state of Saxony is spending something like $10 billion Euros + to rebuild Dresden... one neighborhood at a time.... it's amazing that the 8 districts of the Baroque era Neumarket area near the 2005 rebuilt Dresden Cathedral [[a domed church as tall as the Broderick Tower)... will be rebuilt in a few years. Once known as the Florence on the river Elbe... Dresden is fast becoming Germany's most beautiful city once again....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOc3Vs2H898
    Last edited by Gistok; August-22-15 at 01:25 AM.

Gistok's Dresden tour makes me wish we still had the box of Exin Castillos [[Spanish
    "Legos" intended for constructing castles) Mom and Dad brought back from Germany
    after my cousin's wedding to a German lady there. They brought back photos of their
    visit to Neuschwanstein Castle as well as samples of the most excellent homemade cheesecake from the new in-laws the like of which I have not had since. The happy couple reside in New York state.
    The lady has just retired after teaching German in high schools for many years.
    Last edited by Dumpling; August-22-15 at 08:22 AM. Reason: ah well the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    As opposed to today's right which thinks endless war is the answer. Let me know when you enlist, Wesley. This 6-year Army veteran member of the left has had enough of needless warfare.
    Thank you for your service. I am not a veteran, but have close loved-ones who are. Thanks.

Frog, how do you know when a war is 'needless'? Is there a just war?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3