Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    Some Torontonians may own property in Florida, but Canadians can only stay in the US for 6 months before they have to return to Canada.

So, they could sell their house in TO for a huge profit, and buy a winter home in Florida and a summer home in Windsor, or elsewhere in county. Windsor and the county offer a lot of waterfront, east to Belle River and beyond, or south to A'burg or even beyond that to Leamington.

Canadians need to obtain health insurance when they are in the US, otherwise they risk high medical bills and then a long wait for reimbursement from OHIP, and even then it may not be a full reimbursement.

Overall this is good for Windsor. If it can diversify its economy to cater to retirees, it will help the economy. The current exchange rate [[$1 USD = $1.30 CDN) is hurting the Canadian economy.

It may be time for a run to Freeds and Canadian Tire again. Now where did I put that Canadian Tire money...
    Just to add to the Florida bit, it's in a Canadian retiree's best interest not to leave the country for a long period of time and to have residency in a lower cost area of the country like Windsor. If a Canadian retiree leaves Canada for longer than 212 days out of the year, they are kicked out of OHIP and have to pay the full cost of health care when they come back to Canada if they get sick. If they require open heart surgery or have cancer, they could see those net tax free proceeds from the sale of their Toronto home dry up real quick. From what 401don said about half a million Canadians owning property in Florida, I doubt that more than a few percent of them are there for longer than half a year. I wouldn't want to be an aging retiree without free Canadian health care.
    Last edited by davewindsor; August-15-15 at 05:07 PM.

Allow me to put it this way: As bad as the weather is in Canada, it's better than suffering the U.S. health system. It would be a misnomer to call it care.

Ok, that's not entirely fair. Summertime weather in Florida is terrible too.