Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    I recieved a package of school supplies today from Singapore!!! It had to be someone from DYES because they called me Cub LOL. Thanks MM.
    This thread is being read all the way to Singapore! How cool is that? Thank you Singapore reader!

We procured three backpacks at Value Village. We will bring all three backpacks on Sunday, but which one should we pack with supplies for our guy Devin: Spider Man, plain black, or multicolored [[green/purple/Navy blue)?

If we have time we will bring Toll House cookies.

I have no idea what color Devin likes. I would go with the plain black for him.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm cooooooookies!!!!!! Fingers are crossed!

Good to see you tonight, Cub. You are going to have another great event on Sunday. Congrats!

Are we going to see you there on Sunday, Gnome? I would like to give you a big hug for all your efforts. Just in case you have other plans....

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[GNOME))))))))))))))))))))) ))) [[that's a hug from me to you!)

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    This thread is being read all the way to Singapore! How cool is that? Thank you Singapore reader!
    These various efforts are being followed globally, rest assured of that. Build it, and they will follow. Even if you believe the team[[s) are well organized and prepared, try harder, and be prepared for the unexpected [[both the good and bad unexpected). I love what you all are doing.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; August-28-09 at 11:01 PM. Reason: edit

Hope you have a successful Backpack Giveaway and a fun Georgia Street Summer Celebration tomorrow! Thinking of you....

We dropped off some stuff and a small donation Saturday. It was so inspiring to see all the people there putting together school supplies for our children. I guess we qualify as "friends of GSCC", and we will continue to support all your efforts. I just want to take the time to give kudos to corner office for her hard work and organizational skills. To see all the kids at play was great too. The hard ball that hit my ankle did give me a good bruise but what a small price to pay for the sheer joy of seeing kids having good clean fun! Wish we could be with you all on Sunday but it doesn't look like it will be possible. Take lots of pictures and share with the DY family. PS: I am not Catholic but the Caputin brothers are so inspirational and I am so glad you were able to partner and assist in their community outreach program. While I am not super religious, or at least I don't wear my religion on my sleeve I would like to say God bless you all.

Hope everything is going/went well. I am thinking of everyone.

There is no way that we could appropriately express our gratitude to those who gave so generously, whether it be goods or time or money. We were able to put together backpacks for 120 children from pre-school to high school age. We were able to serve food to close to 150 people. We gave away books to some very eager readers.

Thank you to the DetroitYes family, the Facebook readers, the Friends of Georgia Street Community Collective, the volunteers, and thanks be to God for guiding our efforts and giving us a very successful day!

And thanks to Staples, for their partial sponsorship of this event. We hope that as you shop for supplies, computers, office furniture, etc. you will think of Staples first. They have helped us out many times over the last year or so.

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts!
    Last edited by Blueidone; August-30-09 at 06:55 PM.

Was hoping for an update!

I'm so glad it all came together and was such a success. Wonderful job everyone! Bless you all.

And Bless those children who benefited from this. May they have a successful school year.

I am glad that every thing went well. I will start saying for next year.

Sure am looking forward to some pix. I know you're busy, but ...

I'm waiting for pix from Mark and his wife...as soon as I get them, they will be posted on the website. Thanks again, Gnome for your most generous donation.

Ditto on waiting for the photographs

Sorry Guys. I let one of my boys take pictures Sunday. Any other day he takes great shots but for some reason he took them all of family. So I have enlisted someone elses pictures and should be up shortly, Thank You.

Wait, you mean he didn't get one of me getting attacked by Anthony and his friends? Boo!

Pictures are posted at www.georgiastreetcc.com. Thanks to Angela for the pictures!

Again, a deep heartfelt thank you to everyone who contributed to making this day a great success. With all the bad things that happen in this city, sometimes we lose our faith in humanity. But all you have to do is look at the joy brought to these kids and their families all due to kindness of complete strangers, and your faith can be restored. I am so happy to be a part of this terrific group of people!

Thanks for the photographs. Very nice article regarding Cub and the GSCC in the August issue of African American Family magazine. Rock on!

vetalalumni - thanks for posting the link! Great article Cub!

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    vetalalumni - thanks for posting the link! Great article Cub!
    You are welcome. There was a typo somewhere as I was surfing the GSCC stuff and after googling around a bit I found the correct url.

Anyone have any updates on the GSCC?

Cman: If you check the blog you will see some new photo of "lasagne" beds put down this past week. We have been taking a little break from doing any new activities after a very busy summer. Mark has been concentrating on harvesting the remaining vegetables and getting things ready for winter. We have a Board meeting planned for October 18th and will have a new schedule of activities after that meeting.

The children who received backpacks were very appreciative of the assistance with the beginning of school. I was at the Garden when school let out a week or so ago, and it was great to see all the kids coming home with the backpacks we prepared for them.

Thank you again to everyone who helped out with that event. Think about it...we had planned for 30 kids...but when we requested, we were able to come up with 120 backpacks within about a week. There are some very kind, generous people out there and we applaud each and every one of you. We could not continue our mission without you.

Thanks for the update. The backpack giveaway sounds like it was an amazing, fantastic event. I wish I could have been there.

Good luck with everything coming up. As I have mentioned to cub, I would be happy to help with some grant proposals. So far, I have not had any time to actually search for grants to apply for, but if you or anyone else has some in mind, I would be happy to help draft one. I have been quite busy with work, but will carve out some time to help if at all possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3