Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not a prob Jams, Hopefully both of our stuff will make it down there.

Sunday Morning Bump

For those who are putting full backpacks together, we suggest something for the 12-14 yr old range. We have both boys and girls that will be receiving a backpack, so whichever you would like to get is fine. Please e-mail georgiast313@yahoo.com and let us know what you will be donating so that when we finish up the shopping we know what we still need.

Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, to those who are so generously helping us out. Please join us on Sunday for the Giveaway and Cookout!

thanx BEO, I'll buy a backpack set up for a 14 yr old female.

Oh, does everything have to be brand new, or can I shop at a thrift store?
    Last edited by gnome; August-25-09 at 07:33 AM.

Thrift store is fine...thanks again!

Our family can provide the items on the first post, plus some underwear, for one child.

Can you let us know if it will be for a boy or girl, and some specifics about the socks and briefs?

Are there enough backpacks, or should we provide a backpack as well?

Thanks very much and see y'all soon.

Crystal: We do not have all the backpacks yet, so if you want to provide one, that would be great. As in the post for Gnome, shoot for a 12-14 yr old. And since Gnome is providing one for a girl, why don't you provide one for a boy? As far as size goes, I don't have a clue. Maybe Cub can help with that one, since he has kids around that age group.

Thank you too for your kind generosity!

As always, we will try to contibute. Please post a list Friday on still needed items. Also how about an update on the community center. I have many items, bookshelves, desks, general office items etc. I am holding off until things are up and running since Cub can only store so much.

Any plans for a book give away this fall? People keep giving me kids books for Georgia Street but I don't want to over load Cub with stuff until he needs it.

UPDATE:

We have been contacted by the Capuchin Food Kitchen and requested to include some children in their group into our BackPack Giveaway. It was always our wish to expand our services outside the immediate Georgia Street neighborhood, so we have agreed to add 45 children [[only a small portion of what is needed) to our Giveaway.

This is going to stretch our budget to its limits, but the need is too great to turn them away. So again, we have to ask for assistance from our internet friends. We are now planning on providing a minimum of 70 backpacks, along with a cookout for everyone.

Since time is so short, we ask that you send in a cash donation if you can, rather than actually purchasing items. We have to get these backpacks assembled as soon as possible, so we are going to finish the shopping today. Any items donated should be delivered to 9352 Georgia Street no later than Friday afternoon. We will begin the assembly on Saturday morning.

Again, we know that times are tough for many people. We hope you can find it in your hearts and budgets to help us out with even $1 or $2. Anything will help. We thank those who have given so generously so far. The response has been great...down to small children who are taking up collections to contribute to our cause.

Sumas: There has been no progress on the Community Center at this point. We still need to find some grant money to be able to make the necessary improvements. We need a minimum of $50,000 to purchase the supplies required.

We are giving away books at the BackPack Giveaway on Sunday, so you can drop those off anytime before then.

If you have a specific boy in mind for the backpack that our family is putting together, please let me know the sizes for underwear. Or we can purchase an assortment of sizes and return what is not needed.

We will get a backpack as well for our recipient.

Hello Crystal,
    Devin will get your backpack. He looks to be a size 14. Thanks again everyone. I promise we are working diligently to get the funds for the community center. Because of all of the support we get from DYES we are able to put smiles on the face of the kids in our neighborhood and now beyond.
    Thnk You so much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    Hello Crystal,
    Devin will get your backpack. He looks to be a size 14. Thanks again everyone. I promise we are working diligently to get the funds for the community center. Because of all of the support we get from DYES we are able to put smiles on the face of the kids in our neighborhood and now beyond.
    Thnk You so much!!!!
    Cub, what you and the pack are doing is just special. Wonderful. Awesome. You get the idea

It is inspirational, and touching. And good.

Your new bride is a fortunate woman. Stay strong.

We are gathering and assembling now, and Devin will be all set. Is Devin in elementary school or middle school?

For underwear, we are thinking socks, crewneck t-shirts, and briefs. Does that sound OK? Which of the sizes below would be the best fit for Devin?

T-shirts: Kid's 14-16, men's S [[34-36), or men's M [[38-40)

Briefs: Kid's L [[14-16), kid's XL [[18-20), men's S [[28-30), or men's M [[32-34)

Thanks very much for the guidance!

Cash donations can be mailed to GSCC, 9352 Georgia St., Detroit MI 48213
    or sent through PayPal [[For PayPal, go to our blog at http://georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com)

I donated by using the above link. It wasn't much since I'm not working and Mr. Erie is retired; but coupled with other donations it will help build up a few more backpacks.

You all are doing fantastic things. Best wishes from across the creek!

Kids L[[14-16) in both T-shirts and briefs.

He is in middle school.

Hi eriedearie! Thank you so much. Tell Mr. Erie I said hello and thank you!

You're welcome Cub! Mr. Erie says Hey!

I've emailed the link to a few of my friends around the USA that used to live in the neighborhood. I've told them the Capuchin Food Kitchen has outreached to Georgia Street and requested some backpacks for their kids. Hopefully there will be more traffic on the donation site.

Picked up 5 backpacks yesterday. One is new, the others are in great shape.

I'll fully outfit the new one for a 14 yr old female.

This afternoon we got supplies and looked at backpacks, and we need a little more guidance...

Should we look for a nice backpack that could last a number of years, or should we seek out a used or "cheap" one with the idea that the kids will all receive more backpacks next fall?

Thanks for the advice!

Cheaper is good.

Glad to hear that the outreach effort extends to the Capuchin's adopted families. Like so many others, my husband is unemployed and I am under employed. I get paid today so we can make a small donation and will make every effort to get it to Cub today. Also if food donations are needed for the event, let me know. My church has a few boxes of kids books to send and we have friends in Brightmoor that sent some books as well. We hope to make it to the cook out on Sunday but a prior engagement might make that difficult. Best wishes to all who contribute and lots of love sent to the kids who bennefit from this out reach effort.

Default Singapore!!!

I recieved a package of school supplies today from Singapore!!! It had to be someone from DYES because they called me Cub LOL. Thanks MM.

Great news, Cub...aka Mr. Internationale

Went shopping last night and outfitted one backpack for a 14 yr old female. Mrs. Gnome was influential in selecting the material. I have four other backpacks that are used, but in good shape. One has a Batman theme, another sports a Buzzlightyear theme. The others are plain.

I'll drop them off either tonight or in the morning.

Ok Gnome LOL. I will be here.

Hi Sumas! We are in need of childrens books.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast