Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Whatever has less '' bloatware '' meaning ok'ing toolbars etc. to get the free program . I read recently Avira was adding crapware to their freebie .

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/colle...1_free_av.html

Remember a pc doesn't like 2 AV programs , both want to be the boss and can cause problems , thats why I suggested to d/l the new one to your desktop , before removing the old one . Most AV programs have a removal tool at that programs website . Add/Remove doesn't totally remove a AV program such as Norton

Thank you you have confirmed my suspicion. I have McAffe but I did suspect it was hoging my recourses. I will try a different program.

I learned everything I know by reading help forums , articles online , etc. , I'm not an expert by any means , but when you have many people in many forums having the same problems you learn along the way . I have since bought another operating system , but I couldn't believe by uninstalling a standalone Norton freed up over 80% of my C drive space . Nothing wrong with a pay AV program as long as it doesn't hog resources . I also have McAffe because it came with the pc and so far so good . Another thing with Norton if you've re-subscribed , make sure they don't auto subscribe you when your time is up . You can check by going to your Norton account on their website , sign in and check , not sure about other AV programs . Here's another resource pc help Group that used to be MSN's Group Help Desk and handed over to a select group of people , been a member here for 12 years and learned alot . You can read the pc help area , but must join to post and or read the other boards . Tell em MaDDoG sent you .
    http://www.community-feedback.com/fo...chnology-help/

Avast! ye mateys..

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Does anyone have any info on what to look for that is eating up 25% of my resorces running in the background. I am running XP Pro and when I look at Task manager I have no applications running but under proceesses there is a long list. When I look at performance there is a steady 25 on so %. I have gone into msconfig and shut off everything I can for start up but I dont kow if I can kill anythin in the process log. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    I also use XP Pro. Right now i have 43 processes running, using 4-7% of CPU.

How much RAM to you have? If you're running 512Mb [[the old standard for XP), that will slow your computer and can only be resolved by adding RAM. You can increase your RAM to 2 Gb [[max recognized by XP).

Check your various softwares for how updates are set. Many, like Adobe, Nero, Java, HP, etc., use automatic update as a default. That has them always running in the background and using resources. I have all mine set to manual updates. If you have any Apple software on your system, like Quick Time, be sure it doesn't run at startup. I found that to be a big resource hog. Also, some older HP software is simply clunky and doesn't need to run at startup [[doesn't affect printing at all).

If hard drive space is approaching or passed 50-60%, that can affect the operating speed of your computer. You can also reduce the space allocated to System Restore. That will free up space but reduce the number of restore points. You can also reduce the space allocated to the Recycle Bin. All that means is that if there's no room for trash, you will asked to delete it without it going to the recycle bin. You can also turn off the indexing service, as it adds data to every file you save to speed up searches.

I use Norton AV [[supplied by Comcast). It is greatly improved and uses much less resources than McAfee did [[previously supplied by Comcast).

Attention everyone who has an interest in Tech. Check out my podcast. I'll be adding new episodes starting in a month or so.

www.techtalkbrian.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7