Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I still have to add it to my laptop and netbook. I am mystified though. Husband uses Norton at work and loves it, but he doesn't want it on his PC. Slows things down too much, he says.

I do have a question. I want to back up my files. Norton is asking me to store the backup somewhere and giving me the option of C drive. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since if the computer dies, so will C drive. I need 3-4 gig of space. Can I get an 8 or 16 gig flash drive and store my backup on it?

Husband uses Norton at work and loves it, but he doesn't want it on his PC. Slows things down too much, he says.
    I've been using it for about 6 months and haven't noticed any slowing down compared to when I had McAfee.

I haven't noticed any slowing with Comcast's Norton but I'm on a fast machine now.

Whenever McAfee updated it bogged down my laptop to the point of being useless. But that was a slow machine to begin with.

Thanks, Jmaz...

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I do have a question. I want to back up my files. Norton is asking me to store the backup somewhere and giving me the option of C drive. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since if the computer dies, so will C drive. I need 3-4 gig of space. Can I get an 8 or 16 gig flash drive and store my backup on it?
    Yes. Although I might have concerns if you have a single flash drive as your sole backup, especially if loss of this data is very important to prevent.

Flash drives are relatively cheap. Buy two and rotate them for your backups or make mirror copies on each. If you could get your data compressed or trimmed down to 2 gigs, I would use one flash drive and then keep a second failsafe copy online for free at http://mozy.com

Thank you, yupislyr! That is just what I needed to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Thank you, yupislyr! That is just what I needed to hear.
    Or buy a external drive, which is harder to lose and more secure.

Hmm, might try that, it does sound a bit more permanent than a flash drive.

Gaz, I backup my data to DVD. Each holds about 4.5 G, so 2-3 work out nicely for me. I do it regularly and rotate through a dozen or so DVDs.

If you go with an external drive, you might also look into Acronis or Norton Ghost. That software allows you to back up your entire system to the external drive by creating an image of your hard drive on the external drive. If your system ever crashes or you get a fatal virus, you can reformat or replace your hard drive and simply replicate your entire old system without having to reinstall any programs or data. Acronis gets the best ratings, but I use XP SR2 and the new version requires SP3 [[which I refuse to install due to the horror stories I've read).
    Last edited by jiminnm; March-14-10 at 06:38 PM.

That sounds like just what I want. I actually would love to create a duplicate computer for traveling. I have a Netbook that uses XP as does my home computer. My laptop uses Vista so that wouldn't work.

Sorry to be unclear. Both Acronis and Ghost also work with Vista and Windows 7.

I now have a malware device on my laptop called Your Protection. Not only has it disabled Windows Start up repair and System Restore, but Windows Firewall, Windows defender, AVG and Malwarebytes.
    It also broadcasts Walmart commercials which puts them deeper on my shit list.
    They pop up with every mouse click, so can somebody find a repair for me on the internut ?
    Thanks

Yikes! Does this help?

http://remove-malware.net/how-to-rem...-anti-spyware/

Malware Description:
    The name of Your Protection software is supposed to imply that it is meant to defend computers from all kinds of threats. Unfortunately, this commendable idea begins to equal nil considering what Your Protection is like and what purpose it has been designed for. It is a new rogue anti-spyware program from the same family as User Protection which came to rotation on March 19, being a direct forerunner of the scamware this entry is dedicated to. Your Protection usually spreads through security vulnerabilities of the targeted Operating Systems, fake online virus scanners, blackhat SEO and social engineering flaws. This multitude of tactics allows hackers to invade numerous computers each day and then dictate the conditions of the ‘ransom’. When running on the compromised workstation, Your Protection displays multiple malware detection reports and security scanners which are anything but genuine ones. Each one of such ads aims to frighten you and get you thinking your machine is at risk and so is your privacy. Your Protection will also keep redirecting you to its ever-swapping websites that feature and distribute the paid copy of this disgusting software product. So now it becomes obvious that the only purpose Your Protection has been created for is to swindle people out of money. The method chosen is shameful yet must be effective for cyber criminals who have been doing this for years now and do know how to make fool of a random user. However, Your Protection is not only a misleading application. It may impair direct damage to the injected system. In the better case, you will experience system performance deterioration, i.e. slow computer problem and high level of CPU consumption hence lower productivity. In the worse case, Your Protection will disrupt your system, especially if its cyber mind realizes that you are not going to purchase its commercial version. This is why it’s advised to stay alert and keep parasites like Your Protection away from your computer. If Your Protection is already there, be sure to not give it any changes and expel it from your machine as quickly as possible – the tutorial following this article might come in handy.

Malware Type: Rogue Anti-Spyware
    Malware Author: Unknown
    Threat Level: Critical
    Advice: Immediately remove and scan for additional malware
    Your Protection Free Scanner and Remover: Download Now

This is my LAST time with Windows. I have Windows 7 Premium and its not worth a shit.
    Fix your child, Mr. Gates.

Here's another one.

http://hands-oncorp.com/2010/04/02/y...-instructions/
    Your Protection [[YourProtection) Removal Instructions

Posted by Andrew
    April 2, 2010

Your Protection [[YourProtection) statements are all meaningless and empty words, though they may look convincing as they may be dressed up in skins bearing strong resemblance to those of Windows chromes and balloons, and names of true viruses are often mentioned in the alerts and listed in the Your Protection scan results table. You certainly need not to remove Your Protection threats save that you need to get rid of Your Protection adware as that is a true threat. Not only that, you may also need to remove Your Protection supporters and extra adware, trojan and hijacker respectively.
    Click here to start free system scan by true antispyware which ability to perform safe and complete Your Protection removal has been examined by malware experts.
    Automatic removal ofYour Protection:
    Malware is likely to be accomponied by a group of numerous relatives and assisting programs. That is why we recomend to scan computer for malware and viruses if Your Protection is your computer resident. The scan is 100% free. After the scan, you can remove Your Protection in a safe mode as fast as your PC perfomance permits. Click here to scan your computer for free and get rid of Your Protection.
    If Your Protection blocks remover download:
    Where Your Protection attempts to evade its removal and terminates or disallows true antispyware downloading, the problem is usually resolved when you run your OS in safe mode. To start Safe Mode session, please restart your computer and before Windows starts loading press F8 and hold it until you enter Windows Advanced Options Menu; by using your keyboard choose the following option: Safe Mode with Networking, and let Windows start in Safe Mode. Try to download the antispyware of your choice again. If Your Protection still blocks remover download – act as follows:
    Step 1: click Start at the left bottom corner of your monitor
    Step 2: choose Run in its menu
    Step 3: type “command” in the line and click OK or press Enter
    Step 4: in the window that is to appear type “notepad”
    Step 5: once notepad is open, insert the following text into Notepad by copy and paste:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open \command]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile\shell\o pen\command]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @=”exefile”
    “Content Type”=”application/x-msdownload”
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
    Step 6: save the resulted file as “exefix.reg” [[no quotes) at the Desktop. When saving, please choose All Files at the “Save As” drop-down list. Open “exefix.reg” file [[on your Desktop) and press “Yes”. After that you can download Spyware Doctor and other legitimate anti-spyware applications or remove Your Protection files and registry entries manually.
    Step 7: To fix .exe files running download and run this for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
    Manual removal of Your Protection:
    Your Protection manual removal means that you have relevant skills for managing .dll files and PC registry. After you remove Your Protection manually, we still highly recommend you due to the reasons explained above to perform free scan for malware. Follow the relevant link above to start free scan [[click on “Download Spyware Doctor to remove Your Protection malware”).

Thanks anyway Gaz-
    I downloaded both programs and ran them with no luck. But my fourth restore point finally took.
    What a hassle - please put me in a cage match with these Russian Dweebs with a folding chair.

Here's another one in case it manages to work it's way out of the darkness.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...our-protection

How do these things take hold, anyway? I am running Norton and I hope it is a good vaccination.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I now have a malware device on my laptop called Your Protection. Not only has it disabled Windows Start up repair and System Restore, but Windows Firewall, Windows defender, AVG and Malwarebytes.
    It also broadcasts Walmart commercials which puts them deeper on my shit list.
    They pop up with every mouse click, so can somebody find a repair for me on the internut ?
    Thanks
    I suppose that downloading Microsoft Security Essentials wouldnt be high on your list? It's free. Once you get rid of this, I'd consider downloading it. It's been very good at intercepting threats so far.

I'd also reccommend that you take a good hard look at the content of any link that you click on. Many links are set so your search will hit it, then downloading onto your drive from there. Examining that link and seeing if its a lot of random words before clicking will save you a lot of grief.

With the new AVG, it will scan a Google address before you even click on it. I thought I was safe.

Stosh Guest

With the new AVG, it will scan a Google address before you even click on it. I thought I was safe.
    It's obviously not as effective as advertised.

This is why Microsoft sucks.

Stosh Guest

How is it Microsoft's fault? They didn't make AVG. AVG's ratings are about 60% in catching scripts, which is what you have. Microsoft's at 77%. Norton is better. But you get what you pay for. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Thanks anyway Gaz-
    I downloaded both programs and ran them with no luck. But my fourth restore point finally took.
    What a hassle - please put me in a cage match with these Russian Dweebs with a folding chair.

Some of these new viruses get into the system restore and destroy the entire computer/laptop. I got a new laptop a few months ago, and was at thisisphotobomb.com and got a nasty virus. It shut down the system with the blue screen of death.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast