Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

It worked! Thank you gazhekwe. My kids laugh at me on a regular basis when I try to manipulate this fancy machine. Thanks so much.

There's more than you need to know at BB Code List.

Specifically, URL Hyperlinking.

I'd recommend underlining the hypertext like this:
    Code:
    [url=http://www.yahoo.com][u]Yahoo[/u][/url]
    which produces this: Yahoo.

Hmm. I'm going to have to do some serious studying with this new info Jimaz. A few years ago I went to Best Buy and was talking to this young man there and he asked "Do you have a wireless router?" Well, he set me up and I rushed home and fired this new found miracle up. I couldn't believe that I was not hooked up to the wall anymore. So the first thing I do is call my kids with this new discovery. Mind you, I thought I just discovered something along the lines of a cure for cancer or world peace. My kids still laugh about that.
    Thanks again Jimaz and gazhekwe.

ccbatson Guest

Switch to Mac, life becomes so much nicer.

Make sure that your network is passworded. You'd be surprised at how many people get "free" wireless access off of someone's unprotected service.

ccbatson Guest

Not only for security, but the open networks slow way down when more computers/devices are latched on.

Have had no obvious security issues, so far.
    What do forum members recommend?
    Switched to Comcast....keep Norton Antivirus, which is paid up until spring, or download the McAfee, which is offered free by Comcast?
    Continue to use Mozilla, which we have had good luck with, or use IE?

Firefox's new version seems incredible buggy. I am trying Google Chrome. You can import all your bookmarks and settings from Firefox, which helped me a lot.

I am using McAfee, and it seems to work fine. If you are paid up on Norton, keep that as well. McAfee seems to scan whenever it wants. I have not found how to schedule it yet, but you can cancel a scan and start it up again at a more convenient time.

ccbatson Guest

Try Safari...best on a Mac, but works on PC's OS as well.

While attempting to email [[yahoo email) an excel document as an attachment, got an "invalid filename" message.
    It has been sent successfully before. What's up?

ccbatson Guest

Yahoomail...like most mail servers is always evolving and a bit buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    While attempting to email [[yahoo email) an excel document as an attachment, got an "invalid filename" message.
    Logically, computers are complex and complicated and any interaction comes with a set of risks of which some are known and some are unknown depending on the persons and situations involved.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    What is the actual full name of the file? Try renaming the extension or compressing it prior to attaching. Check yahoo support for the error msg.

ccbatson Guest

Also try a mail application [[non net based) like Outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I'm waiting on a Toshiba laptop from Bestbuy for $299. What are my chances of getting this on a raincheck?
    It looks like my forum work will be on a laptop or Netbook at a McDonalds with the $1.00 menu for now on.

I've got the the laptop now, and am using it on Wi-Fi at the Library. Does anybody know how I might be able to download maybe the top 30 subjects on each forum here for reading at home where I have no connectivity ?
    I looked on my old XP bible for hints, but they refer to web pages only, not forums. And I'm running Windows 7. That would really free up some time while I'm at the library.
    Thanks !

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I've got the the laptop now, and am using it on Wi-Fi at the Library. Does anybody know how I might be able to download maybe the top 30 subjects on each forum here for reading at home where I have no connectivity ?
    I looked on my old XP bible for hints, but they refer to web pages only, not forums. And I'm running Windows 7. That would really free up some time while I'm at the library.
    Thanks !
    I think the RSS feed method would work, for aggregating posts from DYES. Saving might be another matter. From what I've seen,Google Reader might save the posts for ofline reading. It would take some tinkering, but it's free. All forums here are RSS capable. Jou just need to set your settings to grab the feed and store it. I may play with it today, will let you know.
    Last edited by Stosh; December-18-09 at 04:16 PM.

This is the best Bill Gates can do after 20 years?
    I'm dealing with Microsoft 7 premium , and I thought I was the smart guy for avoiding Vista.
    I always swear to myself, not again. But, with pre-loaded software, in a new computer, I'm stuck. At least for awhile.
    My take on the new Windows 7, is "so what". What has he done other than make an easy program 10 times harder ? I had the problem of having the Wordpad Space bar work as a delete button. What fun for about 15 minutes. And try saving that file ! Ho, Ho, Ho. That's me, vomiting.
    You would think that a better experience would await - and to be bullied again on the playground of life just pisses you off even more.
    Where are those strawberry sweet lips of Apple ? I've been pounded into the playground of Mc Soft too many times.
    Steve Jobs - I await you're sweet ambrosia.

Yep, Macs will accept Flash drives. I use Macs mostly... and the operating systems between Mac and PC are closer than they were years ago. Be cautious that Flash drives can go bad without warning. If keep on keys flash drives can become exposed to rays from store scanners etc. and all data will be lost. I always back up my flash drives to a portable drive or burn the stuff to CD after a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    OK, here's mine:

I'm taking a class in the fall that will require me to save materials to a Flash drive at the end of each session. All the work will be done on Mac computers. I haven't used a Mac in about six years, but am pretty sure I can pick it up again quickly.

Are there specific Flash drives that are Mac-compatible, or will any Flash drive work as long as it is big enough to hold the material?

Well for sure the "virus" issue is less. Run Firefox instead of Explorer as browser helps too. Explorer is the gateway thrown wide open for viruses on a PC... I use Macs and PC, but have all Macs at home. Hate the Mac one button mouse. Just use a PC scroll two-click mouse on Mac - bang -- it's all easier and I can go from PC to Mac easier as I can use right-click options!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Switch to Mac, life becomes so much nicer.

Yeah, the new Firefox is a bit balky, so I am using an older version....... I use a Mac mostly so virus software not an issue really... but I do have a firewall up.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Firefox's new version seems incredible buggy. I am trying Google Chrome. You can import all your bookmarks and settings from Firefox, which helped me a lot.

I am using McAfee, and it seems to work fine. If you are paid up on Norton, keep that as well. McAfee seems to scan whenever it wants. I have not found how to schedule it yet, but you can cancel a scan and start it up again at a more convenient time.

Yeah, I prefer Hotmail, but miss the "notes" option where you can park some text that you have with yahoo....
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Yahoomail...like most mail servers is always evolving and a bit buggy.

Running Vista Home Premium, Comcast as ISP: Last two Windows updates resulted in loss of Norton Antivirus. Prompted to uninstall, then reinstall, but I have no record of the subscription key!
    Instead, performed a system restore, which allows Norton to turn on.

What is a real fix for the problem? What about just dropping Norton [[50 days left on the subscription), and going with the free McAfee, from comcast?

What about just dropping Norton [[50 days left on the subscription), and going with the free McAfee, from comcast?
    Whoa. Comcast is now in the process of transitioning from free McAfee to free Norton. I just finished porting three systems to Norton. I was notified of this change by email from Comcast.

I just switched, too. Comcast has it arranged so you download and install Norton, then uninstall McAfee. Now, where to store my backup files?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast