Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Most of the inner ring suburbs already are like Detroit. Over run with rental properties not cared for, crime. My neighborhood where I live and grew up were all single family homes. A short block with only 8 homes. 2 are now rentals. One was rented with no inspections and no heat. The tenants were only there for 2 weeks before the 1st call to police to break up a domestic disturbance. The first thing saved when they moved was the big screen TV. The kids were left until the 2nd trip. The other was rented to a woman who invited a motorcycle club to move in with her. A bar opened with new owners a block away catering to SW Detroit music and customs, it was only open for 1 day before a drive-by shooting happened. Nothing like this happened in the 60+ years the bar was in operation. I don't care who my neighbors are as long as they are reasonably quiet and take care of their property. My question is does someone have the right to turn a neighborhood upside down with a lifestyle that encourages violence and disrespect for others ?
    I've lived a few places and haven't ever seen such sour attitudes towards renters as I do in Metro Detroit. It's unfortunate but some renters are better neighbors than owners and some of us either don't want the issues associated with home ownership at the moment or don't feel confident enough in the market to buy. Anyway, I have found it to be true that the healthier the region the less stigma against renting.

That's a point. I've rented and know others who do. Especially as many older homes have been sub-divided to accommodate multiple families as single housing stock has changed. Not to mention the large amount of two family flats were often the owner lives on premises -- having a renter in one unit. I think it is the kind of renter and where their head-set is, IS KEY. You need to do a background check and take care that who you allow into your properties.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    I've lived a few places and haven't ever seen such sour attitudes towards renters as I do in Metro Detroit. It's unfortunate but some renters are better neighbors than owners and some of us either don't want the issues associated with home ownership at the moment or don't feel confident enough in the market to buy. Anyway, I have found it to be true that the healthier the region the less stigma against renting.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Wife and I rented a house for 10 years before buying our first home. We took care of it even though the landlord refused to fix anything. When our daughter was born in the winter of 1979, the furnace quit on a Saturday night. I called the landlord and he said wait till Monday as the repairman charges more on the weekends. Our mayor lived behind a rental property that was a party house. He contacted the landlord who lived out of state. The landlord stated that as long as the rent checks cleared it was not his problem. When they moved they left behind about $25,000 in damages. So both sides contribute to the problem.

It will be nice when this clown is out of office and we can have America back.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    It will be nice when this clown is out of office and we can have America back.

yeah but don't hold your breath. The election already looks like a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    yeah but don't hold your breath. The election already looks like a circus.
    Elephants and Donkeys ridden by clowns....