It has been several years since I posted here. In about 2006-'07, I began researching what I expected would be the biography of former Detroit Lions' receiver Chuck Hughes. Unfortunately, around 2008, I ran out of money and had to go back to work and my project on Chuck sat dormant during most of that time.

The good news is, about six months ago, I was able to work some things around in my "professional" life [[if you want to call it that) to make the time necessary to once again rededicate myself to the Hughes project. I *hope* to have my manuscript completed by the end of this year - or early next spring. A date for publication will obviously be dependent on any number of variables.

All that being said, I am hoping someone who frequents this *very* cool site can help me track down information on former Lions' team doctor Richard A. Thompson. As some of you may remember, Doc Thompson - who had a office in Highland Park for years - began working with the Lions at the dawn of the Buddy Parker era - and is believed to be the first physician in professional sports to actually go on the road with the team he served. In the late 1960s, Henry Ford Hospital osteopathic surgeon Dr. Edwin R. Guise, Jr., joined the club.

What I am trying to figure out is Doc Thompson's age the day Chuck Hughes died - October 24, 1971. Based on some rather vague information I received from one of Doc Thompson's surviving children, he passed away in about 1985 when he was in his mid-80s. That would make him, approximately, 67-70 when Chuck passed. That should be good enough, but I tend to obsess about details like that.

So, is there ANYONE out there who can provide more information about Doc Thompson and his age when he passed?

Also ... is there anyone who can fill in the blanks in regards to Doc Guise's career *before* he began his tenure at Henry Ford during the '60s? I think he was actually a native of Massachusetts. I know he was 44 the day Chuck Hughes died and left Detroit for the University of Southern California in about 1989 or '90. Dr. Guise died in 1994 at the age of 66.

Anyway ... my thanks to everyone who helped me out with his project those [[now) many years ago. I know I need to get moving on it and get it done. Long overdue. At least three of the former Lions I interviewed for the book on Hughes have since passed - Bob Kowalkowski in 2009; Errol Mann in 2013; and, of course, Charlie Sanders just a few weeks back.

Jeff
Cedar Rapids, Iowa