Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Sorry, but no. Need to google a bit harder, and actually read posts carefully before responding.

Again, oil refineries offer lots of high paying jobs, and decrease gas prices. The next stadium taxpayer boondoggle does neither.

The same is true for the Marathon refinery. Your link has an article dealing with refinery air pollution and net new jobs being created from an existing refinery. It says nothing about gas prices nor existing jobs nor existing salaries.
    How many jobs will be created by the arena project?

a). None, they are jobs moved from the Joe to Midtown.

b). Many, many, too many to count, as the project becomes a 'Midtown transformational' project which leads to hundreds and hundreds of new jobs near the arena, Comerica, etc. as lower Midtown, Brush Park, etc. become reborn, in large part, because of the ENTIRE arena project.

And not to mention all of the Ilitch Holding HOUSING UNITS which will house people [[say 1.5 persons / HU) and do all of the great, great things residences and population are supposed to do for an area.

OTOH, the refinery had an opposite effect on neighborhoods.

The only environmental issue [[from the arena) is all of the noise that happy fans produce after athletic events...

I like happy sports fans. Remember our 2006 World Series events. Crazy!!

Verdict: Arena, thumbs up; refinery, thumbs down.

Detroit wants a new arena, let Texas have the refineries...
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-15 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    How many jobs will be created by the arena project?

a). None, they are jobs moved from the Joe to Midtown.

b). Many, many, too many to count, as the project becomes a 'Midtown transformational' project which leads to hundreds and hundreds of new jobs near the arena, Comerica, etc. as lower Midtown, Brush Park, etc. become reborn, in large part, because of the ENTIRE arena project.

And not to mention all of the HOUSING UNITS which will house people [[say 1.5 persons / HU) and do all of the great, great things residences are supposed to do for an area.

OTOH, the refinery had an opposite effect on neighborhoods.

The only environmental issue is all of the noise that happy fans produce after athletic events...

I like happy sports fans. Remember our 2006 World Series events. Crazy!!

Verdict: Arena, thumbs up; refinery, thumbs down.

Detroit wants a new arena, let Texas have the refineries...
    I disagree. When people find out what a PITA it is living in the middle of sports town, they'll look elsewhere. As far as all the "money" generated, it'll end up like Penske's race track, $46 mil in, $45 mil out.

And when it was over, where did that leave us? SSDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I disagree. When people find out what a PITA it is living in the middle of sports town, they'll look elsewhere. As far as all the "money" generated, it'll end up like Penske's race track, $46 mil in, $45 mil out.

Tell that to the people living in the Broderick Tower, Kales Building, Whitney Building, Fyfes Shoes Building and other buildings around the current Stadia. The PITA you mention doesn't seem to bother them. You know, it is almost like people have differing opinions on where they want to live and not everyone thinks the same way as you.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Tell that to the people living in the Broderick Tower, Kales Building, Whitney Building, Fyfes Shoes Building and other buildings around the current Stadia. The PITA you mention doesn't seem to bother them. You know, it is almost like people have differing opinions on where they want to live and not everyone thinks the same way as you.
    Not everyone is fresh out of college and still in that Frat party state of mind either. Once people come to the conclusion income isn't indispensable, things change.

Not everyone is fresh out of college and still in that Frat party state of mind either. Once people come to the conclusion income isn't indispensable, things change.
    So everyone that lives in those buildings are fresh out of college and frat boys and sorority girls? Huh, I would really love to know how you know that.

I don't think it's about living near a sports arena, it's about city living. And most times, city living means having to live on top of or near a sports arena and most people know that and deal with it. Games, especially hockey games, don't go into the wee hours of the mornings like a rave. I'm sure many buildings are built to soundproof the noise.

You don't want to live there, don't. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    So everyone that lives in those buildings are fresh out of college and frat boys and sorority girls? Huh, I would really love to know how you know that.

I don't think it's about living near a sports arena, it's about city living. And most times, city living means having to live on top of or near a sports arena and most people know that and deal with it. Games, especially hockey games, don't go into the wee hours of the mornings like a rave. I'm sure many buildings are built to soundproof the noise.

Man, you beat me to it.

I was going to hit a 'hanging slider' [["I disagree. When people find out what a PITA it is living in the middle of sports town, they'll look elsewhere.") 466 feet to dead center.

In a sentence, "[[as) these units aren't public housing, individuals will freely decide if they are or are not a good place to live; the housing market, not folks on a forum, will decide the issue."

The risk is borne by Ilitch Holdings.

As for me [[FWIW), I wouldn't like living amongst skyscrapers downtown, probably not next to Comerica or the arena, but probably in Brush Park. But then again, others can, and probably do, feel differently than me.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-15 at 09:03 AM.

I never leave the house, I'm psychic. I totally agree with you. Now, can I have my tax dollars back from the stadium and extra police support the area gets?

I never leave the house, I'm psychic. I totally agree with you. Now, can I have my tax dollars back from the stadium and extra police support the area gets?
    One, I'm not disagreeing about the tax dollars. The Illitches are sly people who have their hands up politicians...ahemm....However, extra police support is only done in Detroit? Extra police support around games is not unique to Detroit and is very much needed.

One, I'm not disagreeing about the tax dollars. The Illitches are sly people who have their hands up politicians...ahemm....However, extra police support is only done in Detroit? Extra police support around games is not unique to Detroit and is very much needed.
    No, it's NOT only in Downtown and Midtown areas, however, during any sporting event, football, baseball, hockey, EXTRA policing is brought in to act as crossing guards, traffic cops, and protect those coming in to these events, @ N/C to the coliseum owners. The rest of the us, in "the other neighborhoods" have to do without, more so than usual.

oh, my; oh my; oh my.

We should all live in our houses as if living in a war zone and avoid public places because of the additional costs.

So no sporting events, no Papal visits, etc. because they cost $.

No, it's NOT only in Downtown and Midtown areas, however, during any sporting event, football, baseball, hockey, EXTRA policing is brought in to act as crossing guards, traffic cops, and protect those coming in to these events, @ N/C to the coliseum owners. The rest of the us, in "the other neighborhoods" have to do without, more so than usual.
    Keeping bitching, I guess. That's the American way though isn't it? Gotta find something to complain about.

Keeping bitching, I guess. That's the American way though isn't it? Gotta find something to complain about.
    Yeah, keep blowing off concerns, that's the American way isn't it? Buy property, invest in Detroit, it's coming BACK! "hello, DPD?", "there's someone breaking into my house!" "I'm sorry sir, all of our officers are currently assisting other customers, you'll have to come down to the station and make a Police Report". I don't mind, as long as they're protecting Illitch interests. I'll just quietly hide under the bed and hope I make it.

Yeah, keep blowing off concerns, that's the American way isn't it? Buy property, invest in Detroit, it's coming BACK! "hello, DPD?", "there's someone breaking into my house!" "I'm sorry sir, all of our officers are currently assisting other customers, you'll have to come down to the station and make a Police Report". I don't mind, as long as they're protecting Illitch interests. I'll just quietly hide under the bed and hope I make it.
    They're not protecting anyone's interests except the 20,000-50,000 person crowd in downtown Detroit. Half of them probably don't know where the hell they're going. Yes it does suck that some police have be taken off the street beat, but that's the way it goes. This isn't unique to Detroit, it's done everywhere. Write to your effing city councilperson or congressperson if you think there's a real problem, besides the already GIGANTIC problem of crime [[which isn't due to some police being downtown directing clueless suburbanites home).

It would be really interesting to see no police presence after a sports game, concert, or large convention. How about last Thursday when 25,000 baseball fans and 30,000 Lutheran youths got out of Comerica Park and Ford Field at the same time with understaffed police presence, I heard it caused quite the jam.

They're not protecting anyone's interests except the 20,000-50,000 person crowd in downtown Detroit. Half of them probably don't know where the hell they're going. Yes it does suck that some police have be taken off the street beat, but that's the way it goes. This isn't unique to Detroit, it's done everywhere. Write to your effing city councilperson or congressperson if you think there's a real problem, besides the already GIGANTIC problem of crime [[which isn't due to some police being downtown directing clueless suburbanites home).

It would be really interesting to see no police presence after a sports game, concert, or large convention. How about last Thursday when 25,000 baseball fans and 30,000 Lutheran youths got out of Comerica Park and Ford Field at the same time with understaffed police presence, I heard it caused quite the jam.
    Sat there for 30 minutes waiting for the little religious zealots to finish crossing the street. Apparently there are no traffic lights where they come from.

Sat there for 30 minutes waiting for the little religious zealots to finish crossing the street. Apparently there are no traffic lights where they come from.
    Lol yeah liberal Lutherans are the zealots. Sorry they helped do service work in the neighborhoods and spent money at businesses.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; July-24-15 at 10:45 AM.

I think Honky Tonk thinks we should close down Detroit to everyone but workers working in the city and city residents...

"Sports fans [[esp. non-Detroiters), don't like them; conventioneers, don't like them either; tourists, don't like them, they don't know where they're going and make a mess of roads and things; suburbanites, not much better." Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit View Post
    It's still happening. My understanding is the plans are being finalized now.
    i can second that.

Lol yeah liberal Lutherans are the zealots. Sorry they helped do service work in the neighborhoods and spent money at businesses.
    i couldn't even go into jimmy johns on griswold...packed full of 'em

Ain't nobody better be sayin' nuttin' bad about those 30,000 young Lutherans.... members of the Ecumenical Lutheran Church in America [[ELCA)... the nations largest Lutheran denomination...

From a Brightmoor resident.....
    "Let you know about the impact in my neighborhood in northwest Detroit [[Brightmoor) has been. We had 270 ELCA RISE UP volunteers on Thursday. Friday we had 135 volunteers , over 400 volunteers on Saturday To wind up the massive amount of volunteers. I am a resident and Member of Northwest Brightmoor Renaissance. We were able to [[ with the help of the ELCA ) To board up 60 vacant houses and clear the lots surrounding them. Not only that we recieved over 190 4'×4' inspirational murals we plan on hanging in the neighborhood so that people will come into our neighborhood in hopes that people will see art rather than blight .We owe our gratitude to these future leaders of our great nation. The impact they have had in my neighborhood has Physically, Mentally, & Spiritually made an Impact."

We should be glad they came.... at least they're not those know it all MENSA folks again.....

Maybe that is why Ilitch Holdings wanted to tear down those two RESIDENTIAL buildings adjacent to the new arena. They read HERE that living near sports facilities is a PITA...

I just had to go back and read the thread title to confirm that this is indeed the Little Caesar's building thread. You guys are just too funny!

I do think that this will get built within a reasonable amount of time, because there is a definite business need. Aren't there some Little Caesar's employees working in Comerica park? A friend of mine saw the former 5th Avenue space filled with cubicles during an event there.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    I just had to go back and read the thread title to confirm that this is indeed the Little Caesar's building thread. You guys are just too funny!

I do think that this will get built within a reasonable amount of time, because there is a definite business need. Aren't there some Little Caesar's employees working in Comerica park? A friend of mine saw the former 5th Avenue space filled with cubicles during an event there.
    Agree and agree.

As for the thread topic, I assume the Ilitiches decided to 'roll' all of their development into one massive project rather than start their headquarters say a few years ago.

As for the original question, many posts ago, I don't know what the timeline for the new building is. Some say it is late, but no one knows when the scheduled start is.

I'm still fascinated if the new headquarters and the new housing by Comerica will be done together. And that could be as soon as the Tigers' season ends. My guess.

Bumping this thread. It's been an entire year since the Free Press broke the news that Little Caesars would build their 8-story HQ next to the Fox and Fillmore. According to the article, it would be completed in December of 2016.

So they have exactly one year to break ground and build and 8-story building. Good luck.

Here's the link, which still surprisingly works one year later.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...alsh/20184917/

Holy crap. Has it really been a year already? Time flies when nothing is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Holy crap. Has it really been a year already? Time flies when nothing is happening.
    Yup, this is the thing with Ilitch. He has promised A LOT, but hasn't gone through on any of it, at all, period.

Every time I walk by the spot with someone I say, "This is the new Little Caesars HQ, I know it looks a lot like a parking lot, but you've gotta believe!"

This is why I'm scared about the whole "entertainment district" idea. I fear that the only thing that the Ilitches will ever build is the arena, and possible some very closely related businesses.

If the Ilitches read this board, let's see some action. You've got one-year to hit your stated deadline and all I see is a surface parking lot, something that the Ilitches love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast