Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hmm, the inconsistency factor does seem to emerge.

No, I am not saying we should start removing the US flag. Just saying...

And while I can see the removal of the Con flag in certain settings, where does this all end?

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Anyone who supports removing the Confederate flag from public viewing would have to agree with and support the brave students at the University of California who want to remove the American flag from public viewing. Both flags can be interpreted as images of “hate speech”. To remove one and not the other represents intolerance and bigotry.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-16-15 at 07:23 AM.

Update:

GM to meet with activists over Kid Rock sponsorship

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2015/07/14/kid-rock-gm-protest/30138003/

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Richard, your posts always make my head hurt.
    My apologies,I wish I could recommend a good aspirin but sense they have all been declared with the exception of plain aspirin bad for you so I will leave that decision up to you.

I normally try to stay neutral when it comes to politics and religion because it quickly becomes somewhat of a pissing match but because I feel this relates to personal rights and the preservation long term of those rights I put my $20 in.

If you read most of my posts they do seem a bit meaningless in context at that moment but they do serve a reason long term and a lot of them are trying to say something without actually saying it,so you have to kinda read them and look at the bigger picture,if you read my early posts they are telling you in a round about way what was coming up in the city 6 months to a year down the road.

There are those that feel that citizens should just sit back and be quiet and allow others to decide the future of how things should be,I am not comfortable with that process.There are those who are not comfortable with my process up there also and 1800 miles away I get the pleasure of having certain federal agency's camping out.That is why I walked away from Packard.It was the city and state that did not want it developed at that time.They felt it would draw to many trades away from the existing labor pool available to certain existing business.Bad timing probably,today would have probably been a different story.

I am not really concerned about Detroit as a stand alone city,more so how does Detroit fit into the bigger picture of what is good for the whole country.

Mention Detroit you get thrown out on your ear and nowhere fast,so you kinda have to work it so it becomes a vital part of the bigger picture,then you get support,and that takes support across all party lines.

So when you see a seemly wako post from me about some building that somebody wants to put a night club in there is a greater good reason why that does not happen.

Jobs and skills training is the common thread that links Detroit to the greater cause and becomes the back door,but its a battle fighting those that wish to keep that door bolted for their singular gain.

So there you have it,take an aspirin,ignore my postings or take them in the bigger picture context.But you asked or commented and as I read yours and others posts and appreciate the contributions that help me to gain a better understanding of the city and the history that surrounds it,I gave the respect I felt you deserved in a reply.Maybe in the future I can figure out how to provide a productive post in three words or less,but I highly doubt it and if everything keeps going to plan in the next year or so,you are going to need a case of aspirin,so maybe look into bulk purchase to save a few dollars?

Another question to be addressed by the wise forumers: Should every offensive symbol be banned?

Just read that there is an effort to ban Native war headdresses from music festivals. Who knew, but they've become common attire at events like Coachella [[in the desert) and Burning Man [[in the desert).

Like the Confederate Flag, some see these headdresses as offensive.

How many people must be offended by a symbol before it should be banned? Should books that praise the confederacy be banned? Should speak praising the confederacy be banned?

A few disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, or outright false things being said for me to just let them slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Another question to be addressed by the wise forumers: Should every offensive symbol be banned?
    What has been "banned?" Who's banning anything? Seriously. I must have missed the news the day that Obama signed a law outlawing the Confederate flag. How was the Confederate flag "banned?" Where? By who? When? Why does this word keep being used by flag defenders? Nobody banned anything, nor can they.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It is okay for thousands of inner city kids to die every year from the violence?
    No outrage or solutions there we have other fish to fry like getting rid of that damn flag.
    Who said that was OK? And what's this ridiculous false notion that we can only focus on or care about one issue at a time? Well you know what? I suggest conservatives shut up about gay marriage until we solve that homelessness problem. See how ridiculous that sounds?

There are no solutions even the flag was not an issue until 6 lost their lives because some wacko used it.Then it became an issue why now?
    The flag was not an issue before? FALSE. People have been protesting Kid Rock's use of the Confederate flag as far back as 2011.

http://www.bet.com/news/music/2011/0...sm-claims.html

The NAACP has been boycotting South Carolina for FIFTEEN YEARS due to the flag issue:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7777356.html

The flag used to be flown above the Capitol dome until 2000, when it was removed due to protests by Civil Rights activists:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/19/us...g-still-flies/

The flag has been an issue for many, long before Dylann Roof. This has been an ongoing battle for decades. Just because you weren't aware of it doesn't mean that the "flag was not an issue" [[your words). Your ignorance of an issue does not mean said issue did not exist.

Brazil holds the record for having the most slaves of all countries combined but yet has no issues,what are they doing different?
    Brazil "has no issues" stemming from slavery? I can't even begin to point out how wrong that one is. Brazil has severe societal problems with socioeconomic inequality and racial prejudice against Afro-Brazilians as a legacy of slavery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...acy_of_slavery

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And while I can see the removal of the Con flag in certain settings, where does this all end?
    In my not-so-humble opinion, at good taste and government buildings!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Just read that there is an effort to ban Native war headdresses from music festivals. Who knew, but they've become common attire at events like Coachella [[in the desert) and Burning Man [[in the desert).

Like the Confederate Flag, some see these headdresses as offensive.

How many people must be offended by a symbol before it should be banned? Should books that praise the confederacy be banned? Should speak praising the confederacy be banned?
    I don't think any of them should be "banned" outside of personal / business decisions. If a music festival wants to make a rule, so be it. If people want to protest the rule, so be it.

But this appears to be another straw man argument to me. What do you mean by "banned"?

Default Set fire to this symbol of oppression - the American flag

When the slave ships sailed from Africa to America they weren’t flying the Confederate flag, they were flying the American flag. So we want to take down the flag that flew over a few Sothern states for maybe 4 years and not the other that has been flying over the entire country for 250 years.

Here’s some information you must have missed from the New York group DisarmNYPD”:

Please join us on July 1st, at 7:30PM, at the intersection of Myrtle and Washington Park, to demonstrate for the Charleston nine and all of those killed by racist violence in America. We will set fire to this symbol of oppression - the American flags - and march to honor our brothers and sisters who have fallen in the long struggle for freedom. Rise up!

#BurnThat Flag
    #FeelThe Burn

Here's the online flyer for the event:

Name:  flag-4.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  84.6 KB

Please join us on July 1st, at 7:30PM, at the intersection of Myrtle and Washington Park, to demonstrate for the Charleston nine and all of those killed by racist violence in America.
    Does that include all the Whites killed by Black racist violence too?

[QUOTEWhen the slave ships sailed from Africa to America they weren’t flying the Confederate flag, they were flying the American flag.][/QUOTE]

Actually, many of them were flying a British flag.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Actually, many of them were flying a British flag.
    They almost certainly weren't flying an American flag. There was no such thing during the peak trade. And the most common flag would be that of Portugal, as the Portuguese were, by far, the dominant slave traders to the New World.

But it's a silly argument anyways, because the Portuguese flag doesn't represent or endorse slavery; the Confederate flag explicitly does.

Well I called it, the meeting went well for Pastor offering and shakedown Sam, Now go and get my money little duffle bag boy

A group of racists that use racism for financial gain,call it what it is,extortion,domestic terrorism,or heavy handed tactics.

Sounds harsh but who really is paying the price or making the sacrifice?

Kidd Rock - A Caucasian that received his claim to fame in Detroit,he has stuck with the city and did not beat feet as soon as he made his dues.He has contributed and donated millions to city causes.

Millions to a museum that celebrates Detroit's rich history and contribution to the music that help shaped the city.How many African American music stars that hail from Detroit left as soon as they received fame never to return?

He is a major offshore powerboat supporter and helps to bring the offshore powerboat races to Detroit that gains Internationale attention.The history of offshore racing started in Detroit with Garwood and to this day Garwood is to Detroit what Don Aronow is to Miami when it comes to offshore racing.

To this day some of the best offshore racing engine builders in the country hail from Michigan.

Kidd Rock has supported many causes within the city of Detroit that help the most needy cutting checks in excess of $50,000.

So in return he is told to publicly denounce a flag he has not flow in years or face sanctions and everybody that is associated with him will also receives sanctions.

Thank for your consideration and devotion to the city that brought you to where you are,now *uck off because we got your money already.

South Carolina's original refusal to remove the flag brought on cancellations of scheduled events and conventions until they conceded.

Hit them in the pocketbook until they concede,but think about it,who really gets hurt in the end?

Detroit,if Kid Rock gets aggravated and decides he really does not need the crap and treatment and chooses other venues for his funds who loses?

North Carolina convention boycott,who lost? What about the African American workers that lost their paycheck that they relied on to pay their bills?Or was that their contribution to the cause?

Tell GM that unless they concede they will be boycotted by African Americans as taxpayers,guess what? It was African Americans and all American taxpayers that made sure GM was still there to boycott and if one does boycott who really loses?The ceo will still get his paycheck and to make up for the loss the ones further down the line will be laid off,good thing there are no African Americans working for GM that need to feed their families in the event of a layoff.

So their cause is their cause under the guise of racism,there are those who will always ensure racism is alive because it is in their best interest and no matter who gets in the process they are getting hurt in the name of the cause.

So your rights get violated by the police department,what is the better move?hire a lawyer or burn a city?

Hundreds of African American government taxpayer supported agency's available to the African American community to insure federally protected rights are enforced and the only option is to riot and burn a city that includes your fellow brothers and sisters businesses and homes.

It does not end,now they are calling for Florida,Georgia,Alabama and Mississippi to all to change their state flags and remove all references of the civil war,remove the face of Stone mountain all under the threat of a African American taxpayer boycott of their economy.

State by state city by city is the vow of the NAACP,but who gets hurt in the process?

Is it that hard to realize that African Americans are a large part of that economy and they are the ones that will be driven further into poverty also? It does not matter though because that also gains more support and blame.

Maybe the solution is for the Government to go across the board and remove any and all references and programs that divide the races,Black only collages,close them down in the name of equality because if there was a all white collage it would be not acceptable.

Remove all American taxpayer funded programs that fund a division of the races because that is racism in itself.Is it not is not the goal of all Americans to be one,not matter what ones skin color is we are all equal.Why establish directives that favor one American over another when we are all equal?

Racism will always exist because there are some on both "sides" that will profit and gain a power from it that they will be unable to achieve on their own.

Millions of African Americans have made their way in life against all odds just as there are millions of Caucasians that have achieved the same goal,against all odds,because that is how life is,it throws everybody curve balls and it doesn't care who you are or what your skin color is,it is called life and how we deal with it is what creates our character and who we are.

That is how racism works,show a picture on the news of a African American burning a building during a riot and all African Americans are judged by those actions,show a white cop beating an African American and all white cops are racist.Both sides looking for fuel to feed the fires.

Until we learn as individuals to distinguish the difference between fabricated racism and the real racism where it exists we will never be able to address it,like it has been posted,you can remove all symbols in the country that pertains to slavery and racism but it does not solve a thing but to divide a country and preserve racism for future generations.

Germany tried it after the war,they removed all symbols of Naziism and actually made it illegal to display,ask your self,did it work? No there are still fanatics that try to keep it alive and there are still fanatics that follow because they are to weak to be their own person and it is easier to blame history.

When you are driving down the street with your child and they see a Confederate flag and ask what it is,you then explain to them what circumstances surrounds that flag because they need to know,so the next generation does not keep repeating the same mistakes.

So much for 3 words or less.

Bob's publicity team: "What Kid Rock meant to say was..."

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...ears/30226159/

The thing is, white people who are racist almost NEVER admit that they are racist. In fact, they will vociferously deny that they are racist while esposing objectively racist opinions. There's a few of them posting in this very thread, in fact. But here's a good example below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...usaolp00000592

Proud Confederate flag waver Ted Nugent also claims that he isn't racist even though he has said all sorts of racist shit.

Oh, and FYI, just because someone associates with black people or gives money to black institutions doesn't mean that they are immune from claims of racism. Donald Sterling, owner of the LA Clippers, was dating a black Hispanic woman and he said all sorts of horribly racist things.
    Last edited by aj3647; July-17-15 at 03:47 AM.

The willingness of DYes posters to dedicate massive posts to the misguided defense of stupidity will never cease to amaze.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    The thing is, white people who are racist almost NEVER admit that they are racist. In fact, they will vociferously deny that they are racist while esposing objectively racist opinions. There's a few of them posting in this very thread, in fact. But here's a good example below.

Proud Confederate flag waver Ted Nugent also claims that he isn't racist even though he has said all sorts of racist shit.

Oh, and FYI, just because someone associates with black people or gives money to black institutions doesn't mean that they are immune from claims of racism. Donald Sterling, owner of the LA Clippers, was dating a black Hispanic woman and he said all sorts of horribly racist things.
    Of course not. The moral of your posts on this thread is that all white people, in some, way, shape, or form, are racist. We get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Of course not. The moral of your posts on this thread is that all white people, in some, way, shape, or form, are racist. We get it.
    If this is your takeaway, I'd recommend some self-reflection.

Why people especially from Michigan like the Confederate flag is beyond me, it is a symbol of wealthy land owners wanting free labor and later segregation. This issue was trumped up though by opportunists and they looked dumb in the end, though they might have got what they wanted which was money and attention

Default "I love America, Ilove Detroit, and I love black people."

May 2,2011 1:02 PM CDT:

ConfederateFlag-Loving Kid Rock Wins NAACP Award

[[Newser) – Despite his frequent use of Confederate flag imagery on stage, Kid Rock was presented with an award from the NAACP yesterday. The rocker accepted the Detroit NAACP's Great Expectations Award as 50 NAACP members picketed outside the awards dinner, Rolling Stone reports.

The rocker has defended his use of the flag as a traditional part of Southern rock. As he accepted the award, which honors his support for Detroit, he said, "I love America, I love Detroit, and I love black people."

Name:  kid rock.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  43.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post

So what,you cannot force others to change their views whether perceived or not,but you can do your part by being the better person.Millions of others have achieved that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    The willingness of DYes posters to dedicate massive posts to the misguided defense of stupidity will never cease to amaze.
    Do not fret,about as much mind will be paid attention to them as a speech given in 1963.

Ha,two posts under 50 words,celebration time,going to gas up the 4x4 grab a bottle of JD and hit the mud bogs now.

What a hot mess. Can't we all just get along? ------ Once more?

Name:  kid rock.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  43.6 KB
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-15 at 11:35 PM.

If someone told me to quit doing something I quit 5 yrs ago, AND wanted me to apologize for having done it, I'd tell 'em to kiss my ass, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    If you do or say racist things, you're a racist. I could ask you to point where I said that ALL white people are racist, but since I didn't say that, I won't. But you keep on building that straw man there Skippy.

In fact, I've never even said that Kid Rock is racist, just that it's a bullshit argument to say that anyone who has donated money to a black cause can't be a racist. Donald Sterling donated lots of money to the NAACP...and he's a racist. The two things are not mutually exclusive. It's right up there with "I'm not racist, I have black friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    Why people especially from Michigan like the Confederate flag is beyond me,
    But hey, it's all about "heritage", which is why people born and raised in the North fly it. It's pretty easy to see through that bullshit argument. Just yesterday, you had an all-white crowd in Oklahoma waving Confederate flags as a protest against Obama. Nothing says "not racist" like an exclusively white crowd waving a symbol of slavery at a black man they hate.
    Last edited by aj3647; July-18-15 at 06:13 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast