Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Why not keep it where it is and clean it up? There has to be some money for that thing somewhere. Fix it and everybody will have a second fountain location to take their wedding photos besides Scott Fountain.

Not everything has to be downtown. It would be nice to see the rest of the city get some attention besides occasional infill housing. People might actually want to live here.
    The best idea yet. Detroit's architectural patrimony needs to be spread out so alot more can appreciate it. Leave it where it is and get it working again- and lit at night.

Retroit Guest

I agree with Detroitnerd. This fountain should be torn down so a parking lot can be built in its space. George Jackson needs to be transfered to the Palmer Woods Economic Growth Corporation.

LOL, Detroitnerd!

They should let them take the fountain to Sterling Heights for the enjoyment of a diverse group of individuals who can appreciate the finer things in life.

There seems to be basically two types of people;
    Those who will work and sacrifice to create an attractive and healthy environment for their family and the community at large,
    And those who are happy to ignore their families' surroundings, and the community at large, until all is finally entirely consumed.
    Then what?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't think bitching about the state of the fountain is bad. If anything it begs the question of why the Scott Fountain has been restored [[at least partly anyway).... and the Hurlbut Memorial Gate over on East Jefferson has been restored twice already... once under CAY, and again recently.

If the folks in the area don't appreciate it... I suggest that a suburban Detroit city request to buy it and have it moved. That way the screaming indignation of Detroiters of "stealing" our cultural assets will put a fire under the city to finally do something with it...

All kidding aside, I think it should return downtown.... privately financed of course, as that idea was floated before the economy tanked.
    Creating a public ruckus is probably the only thing that would motivate enough people to get something done. If someone carted it off piece by piece, nobody in city government would notice it's gone. I wonder if any candidates for council have some sort of agenda regarding restoration/preservation?

Is there any estimate of what this would cost if privately finaced?

Actually, Roosevelt Park would be another awesome place for a restored Merrill Fountain... right in front of a restored MCS. I'll dream along with you!

If the city were smart, they would do some enticing to get the Detroit 300 Commission, or whoever is currently managing Campus Martius, for their input and involvement and then their work at taking care of the place. Although Capitol Park is not really the nexus that Campus Martius is, their locations each as a little oasis amongst the concrete and skyscrapers make having them unified seem appropriate. I don't know what Detroit 300's financials look like right now, but to me, that would see like a smart and logical step.

Rocko/Buster... I agree absolutely!

As for anyone who thinks it should be left where it is... I have this to say... it's been there for over 75 years, and I doubt it has ever been a functioning fountain in that location. Since the folks living in the area [[including nearby affluent Palmer Woods) haven't shown any interest in its' upkeep, then I don't see why outsiders should be "pulling weeds"... they'll just keep growing back in that location.

Move it back downtown and give it the TLC it originally had there.

At next weeks Movie Palace Tours, I'm going to be asking the PW and Opera House folks about what can be done with this treasure.

I was looking at the WSU virtual Motor City and saw this picture. #50138 from the 20s, also look at 50880 it is from the 50s. Unable to post the pictures.

Ok, I think I have figured out how to post the picture.

See all the vagrants it attracts? Sheesh! Tear it down!

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    See all the vagrants it attracts? Sheesh! Tear it down!
    Yeah, all those unruly white kids trampling over Detroit's gems!

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Yeah, all those unruly white kids trampling over Detroit's gems!
    Weren't non-whites banned from [[some) public pools at that time [[see post # 34, referring to WSU photo # 50138 from 1920's)? Racially segregated municipal pools, where the best pools were afforded to the best people.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; August-31-09 at 02:42 PM. Reason: edit

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Weren't non-whites banned from [[some) public pools at that time [[photo # 50138) from 1920's)? Racially segregated pools, where the best pools were afforded to the best people.
    Blacks were banned from a lot of places. The sad thing is that once they won the right to admittance, deterioration soon followed. I'd love to see a fully functioning Palmer Fountain full of black kids having fun, but instead it sits to rot.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere here, but this story from a few week's ago discussed a man in Flint who got the city's Grand Fountains working again, with some hard work, volunteer help, and some grant money.

http://blog.mlive.com/flint-city-bea...bring_dow.html

If someone showed similar interest in the Merrill fountain, it too may be one day be restored.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Why not keep it where it is and clean it up? There has to be some money for that thing somewhere. Fix it and everybody will have a second fountain location to take their wedding photos besides Scott Fountain.

Not everything has to be downtown. It would be nice to see the rest of the city get some attention besides occasional infill housing. People might actually want to live here.

My plate is too full to organize such a project, but if you put your mind and efforts to it, I know you'd get a half dozen volunteers to show up on a Saturday or Sunday to knock down the weeds and haul away garbage.

Ball in your court. I'll show up if you organize it.

KENSINGTONY, thread-jacking was not intended. When I see thread-jacking I typically dislike it, so I'm here compelled to apologize. Call it thread-jacking, tangents, etc...

You simply inquired about the general history of the Palmer Fountain, and I extended that interest into contextual racial history which is irrelevant to some. Such conduct [[on my part) causes some to retreat from dialogue. Not my intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Blacks were banned from a lot of places. The sad thing is that once they won the right to admittance, deterioration soon followed. I'd love to see a fully functioning Palmer Fountain full of black kids having fun, but instead it sits to rot.
    Because it's a straight line from desegregation to the current state of detroit? Black folk ruined it?

I think what Retroit's getting at is that as soon as blacks could legally use things that were formerly restricted, the powers-that-be underfunded them and let them fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think what Retroit's getting at is that as soon as blacks could legally use things that were formerly restricted, the powers-that-be underfunded them and let them fall apart.
    I thought the same thing. I don't think he mean't anything negative, he actually has a good point. That could be said about a lot of things in Detroit.

oh the hidden treasures of Detroit can we come help!

That would be a good idea for the new Downtown park system, But after seeing Tiger Stadium in its current state. I would say tear 90% of the fountain down and then call it an Urban ruin and add it to a bus tour for tourist.

Threadjack?Hell,this is amazing to see all the folks toss in their 2 cents worth,relevant or not.Gives us all a bit of insight into the way the posters think[[pleasant or not).Funny how a simple question can snowball into something completely unrelated.

Sorry for the sarcastic remark. I got to looking in my DSR books and see the fountain pictured many a time. Given the age of the fountain would a move be feasable?. Looks to me that a downtown location would give more people a chance to see the fountain.

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Because it's a straight line from desegregation to the current state of detroit? Black folk ruined it?
    That's exactly what he means. Read his other posts.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DW313512 View Post
    Ok, I think I have figured out how to post the picture.
    Oh what fun! I would have loved to watch the kids playing in that fountain. Imagine the laughter.

I love to sit and watch the kids play in that water feature on the Riverfront.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast