Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

MIRepublic Guest

Demanding that these type of businesses be accountable to both their shareholders and the community and environment is not liberal or conservative, it's the only and right thing to do. You'd have not gone to this even if they gussied up the name, for you. People that never want to deal and discuss issues in good faith needn't be catered to, sorry.

Retroit Guest

It's not a matter of being catered to, it's a matter of making your biased agenda so blatantly uncompromising that your opponents can't take you seriously.

Are representatives of the "environmental offenders" going to be invited to this forum?

Do the people that live in this area actually expect the refinery, salt mine, bridge, and compost facility to be shut down and moved to another location? Maybe the bridge to Canada can be built in Bloomfield Hills. Would that be environmentally "just" enough?

Where would the people of southwest Detroit like to see these business move to [[along with their jobs)? Would China and India be far enough away?

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    It's not a matter of being catered to, it's a matter of making your biased agenda so blatantly uncompromising that your opponents can't take you seriously.

Are representatives of the "environmental offenders" going to be invited to this forum?

Do the people that live in this area actually expect the refinery, salt mine, bridge, and compost facility to be shut down and moved to another location? Maybe the bridge to Canada can be built in Bloomfield Hills. Would that be environmentally "just" enough?

Where would the people of southwest Detroit like to see these business move to [[along with their jobs)? Would China and India be far enough away?

And, now, you're just putting words in everyone's mouth. Where does the flier mention "environmental offenders"? What information do you have that gets you to the belief that even most Southwest Detroiters expect [[or want) all of this things to be shut down and moved? How do you get from environmental/community accountability and justice being the most foreceful idea implied, here, to some populist uprising to push all industry out of Southwest Detroit? You're making a helluva lot of assumptions, here.

Retroit Guest

That is true. I never heard of the term "Environmental Justice". I presume it means that there is some "injustice" taking place because the industries located in this area are violating the rights of the residents to have environmentally "purity". A pollution-free refinery, salt mine, bridge, or compost can not be built. These businesses have been here for a long time and their presence is obvious. So, why do people live near them? Could it be because of the jobs they provide? Could it be because there are few areas in a major city that do not have pollution?

As I've said before, no one wants to live near landfills, factories, waste water treatment plants, expressways, animal farms, nuclear reactors, etc., but how can our modern way of life exist without these things?