Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    My brother & I both worked at a Hiller's store in the 1990s. He longer than me, but still long enough to know I was treated pretty well as an employee. Even after I resigned I still shopped there from time to time when I had the opportunity to drive out to one and when I wanted something of good quality. I will miss the opportunity to have an alternate choice. Now it seems that our only choices are Kroger [[which is totally saturated in my neighborhood) and Meijer [[the one by me is pretty dumpy despite being less than 10 yrs old). I guess I'll have to frequent Westborn Fruit Mkt more regularly now.
    Try Supergreenland, the one on Warren & Miller Road, and save your money.

Yeah the small parking lot at Super Greenland is a pain, but the produce selection is grand , priced very low [[affordable bell and other peppers) and they have a cool deli section with a few favorites too [[love their rice casseroles, grape leave wraps, fried fish etc)!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-15 at 05:01 AM.

Hillers [[Shopping Center Market) packed up and moved out of my area in southeastern Oakland County with first the closing of their Greenfield and 10 Mile location years ago and the more recent closing of their downtown Berkley location on 12 Mile. Wife still drives out to 14/Haggerty cause she loves it and her mom lives down the street. E-mailed Justin Hiller a year ago about taking over the old Dexter-Davison/Farmer Jack/Farm Fresh location at 10 and Coolidge and he pretty much said "no chance."

Living at roughly 11 and Coolidge, we have no good large supermarkets within 3 miles. Have to get our meat and fruit/veggies at Westborn, dry goods at Trader Joe's or overpay at Holiday Market in Royal Oak. The Kroger at Northwood is a run-down joke because Beaumont is on the brink [[supposedly) of redeveloping that shopping center and Kroger doesn't want to invest in that store. Would pay money for a Kroger like the one at 15 and Coolidge or 15 and Woodward to be within a 5 minute drive of my house!

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Living at roughly 11 and Coolidge, we have no good large supermarkets within 3 miles.
    13 & Southfield has a very good supermarket [[forgot the name- Market Fresh or something), and Holiday Mkt in downtown RO is very good. Both are somewhat more expensive than average, but so is Hillers.

There's also a Kroger close to you on Greenfield south of 10 Mile. I'm guessing it isn't very good, given the area isn't too hot, and most Krogers aren't nice to begin with, but it probably has all the essentials and fair prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    13 & Southfield has a very good supermarket [[forgot the name- Market Fresh or something), and Holiday Mkt in downtown RO is very good. Both are somewhat more expensive than average, but so is Hillers.

There's also a Kroger close to you on Greenfield south of 10 Mile. I'm guessing it isn't very good, given the area isn't too hot, and most Krogers aren't nice to begin with, but it probably has all the essentials and fair prices.

Yes, there are a ton of smaller markets but no large nice supermarkets near me. The Greenfield and 9.5 mile Kroger has nice bones but the product quality is lower end compared to the more upscale Krogers. No olive bar, no sushi bar, no higher quality meats, etc.