Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Have you ever tried the tap water from some of those Washtenaw County home wells? purely vomit-inducing

Well water is a whole 'nother thing. In that case, it depends. If I can smell it, I probably won't want to drink it, unless I am REALLY thirsty.

I find most tap water to taste better than bottled water.

If you care about the environment, then you drink tap water. [[Unless you one of those unfortunates who lives somewhere with genuinely bad tap water.)

City water services are controlled by many, many different codes and tests. The water is tested for cleanliness some 300+ times a day. Bottled water does not required anywhere near the testing that tap water is because it is not shipped across certain boundaries. That's why you only see certain types/brands of water depending on the location of the country you are in. The reality is that most tap water is controlled and protected whereas bottled water is not. You are much safer drinking tap.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post
    City water services are controlled by many, many different codes and tests. The water is tested for cleanliness some 300+ times a day. Bottled water does not required anywhere near the testing that tap water is because it is not shipped across certain boundaries. That's why you only see certain types/brands of water depending on the location of the country you are in. The reality is that most tap water is controlled and protected whereas bottled water is not. You are much safer drinking tap.
    So, you sign onto Detroityes just to make this comment? It'd be a shame if you're representing someone-yes? No where near as heroic as Gov. Bill Weld diving into the Charles River-hmmm?

Obviously you don't subscribe to Clearwater [[and with their incessant emails, I don't blame you). Remember when there was a high contamination of bacteria found rising every year, and noone knew the source, until it was revealed that St. Clair Shores was dumping their sewage. Yeah, they never really got strongly held accountable about that did they? I remember when one guy at the Eastown theater filled a coffeepot full of tap water and accidentally boiled it off too long. There was a huge slick of gritty lead-like filth in there that wasn't there before. Could've been a pipe issue....but I'm not taking the chance.

G-DOT: FYI:

The Detroit wastewater plant is the largest single sewage plant in the USA.
    Click here for Detroit wastewater fact sheet.
    The location of the plant on the southeast side Detroit where the sewage wastewater discharge is at the southern end of the Detroit River where it enters into Lake Erie. In the first seven months of 2011 the Detroit wastewater plant dumped nearly 30 billion gallons of raw and partially treated sewage into Lake Erie.
    In the 1970’s The Detroit Wastewater Treatment Plant was the single largest contributor of phosphorus to Lake Erie. It may well still be the largest single contributor of phosphorous to Lake Erie

Hmm, are you going to haunt me on every thread SWMAP, now? You seem obviously out for blood. Something has gotten your ire up against me. Was it my comments about the F.O.P.? I wonder....

There are quite a number of Detroityes posters who consistently bring up P.O.V.'s I detest, but I am not going to let it become a hair across my arse, say "who's this yutz?", and transparentally haunt them from thread to thread. I try to contest things in a detailed and objective manner. Even if I don't agree with what you may say, I still value diversity, will defend your right to say it, and will expect the same likewise. It's part of what it means to be relativistically fair and abiding.

I do hope you keep your interests in me strictly within the DY realm. To do otherwise is cyber-stalking, and there are some mentalities on the "other site" who demonstrated that they not only had it in for some folks on DY, but they went out of their way to stalk them elsewhere.

Seeing as you are connected to the police, it'd be interesting [[but not enjoyable, I assure you) to see what unprecedented things transpire or present themselves in my day to day life. It's like when Sumas was getting mail addressed directly to her address with her user name. Also, it's like when I was a little too openly outspoken about cocaine and date-rape drugs and the connected folks circulating them since 1997. Then, I started getting timed [[only when I had my ten minute apple-a-day-I no longer smoke-breaks-how very well timed they were!) visits by someone pretending to be a crippled homeless man who knew my neighbor. Turned out he was not crippled, but was an abusive martial arts expert [[residing at Plowden's) who sold coke and date rape drugs connected to the same martial arts cults of those involved in the date rape drugs and the venues [[like the Serengeti Ballroom) they operated out of. When the courts begrudgingly gave us a P.P.O. to deliver to him, the agent wouldn't do it by procedure [[they are supposed to give it to two addresses, and seeing that the cops at the defunct 8th/16th precinct took lessons from Plowden's, it's not surprising they were in cahoots) as requested.

Sound odd? I have more details about that, and much, much more if I keep getting leaned on.

Strictly Detroit River tap water for me! I use my automatic ice maker in the door of my fridge for my ice and pass up the filtered water from the same source in favor of the tap.

I'm only going by what others have said here, I haven't done any research myself, but if there isn't in fact very strict testing of bottled water, this makes no sense to me. It seems to me that any provider of water should be held to the exact same strict testing procedures. I've never drank anything but tap water unless bottled is the only choice at that time. Luckily I've always lived in areas where there was no problem with flavor or 'taint'. To me, bottled water is one of the biggest scams in history. Just my opinion. Not saying there aren't times where it might be the best alternative, but if I have a good source of tap, that's all I'll ever consider.

My only concern about drinking Detroit tap water is lead, but according to the EPA, it's not a big concern.
    Water that runs through old pipes that contain lead is considered another potential source of lead in homes. However, this should be considered the least harmful source of lead poisoning for Detroit children. Plumbing systems that may contribute lead to the household water supply have been tested since 1992. In 2002 testing showed that only two of the 51 homes tested had lead levels over the action level [[Detroit Water and Sewerage Department 2004). The action level is specified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as 0.015 milligrams per liter [[U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2005).
    http://www.epa.gov/med/grosseile_sit...tors/lead.html

http://www.dwsd.org/downloads_n/anno...2015-04-17.pdf

In the fine print here it looks as though MDEQ is looking to change the sampling
    points for mercury testing from out at Zug Island [[the 049F point) and the River
    Rouge Outfall [[the 050 point) to initial points for the DRO-1 outfall located within
    the wastewater treatment plant [[049A and 049B).
    If River Rouge Outfall mercury testing is dropped this is probably a relaxing of
    the mercury discharge requirement. Currently River Rouge Outfall is only used
    for combined [[stormwater) flows. Not sure if stormwater has higher levels
    of mercury.
    Personnel requirements for the proposed revised sampling locations will be
    much less - an EMA goal.
    Last edited by Dumpling; May-08-15 at 09:45 PM.

The "30 billion gallons of raw and partially treated sewage" estimate is
    likely correct. In general though, it all had gone through the primary
    treatment part of the plant which removes upwards of eighty percent
    of the solids. The treatment that it didn't get was disinfection, but that's
    not because the wastewater treatment powers-that-be don't care. In April
    2003, the DRO-2 tunnel being constructed was flooded by artesian well
    water containing hydrogen sulfide with the Traylor tunnel boring machine
    inside it abandoned below. Had DRO-2 been built, all of the sewage
    even during rainy weather would be treated completely right now.
    There are currently plans for new construction at the WWTP [[without
    new tunnels at this time) with a projected finish date in 2019, that
    intend to fully treat the sewage.
    Last edited by Dumpling; May-08-15 at 10:22 PM. Reason: grammar!!

Bottled water is a true blessing for all of the convenience stores due to how
    much markup the stores can keep as compared to other beverages they sell.
    Buy it if you like your convenience store!
    Not sure if this is still the case but Ypsi had a water testing laboratory that would
    test bottled water. There was one instance when I worked there of a bottled
    water that had a toxic contaminant, and that bottler was notified, I believe.
    Major bottlers are all safe to my knowledge.
    I usually drink tap water myself straight as is from the tap. The to-go
    bottle is refilled from the tap. I keep a bottle of distilled water on hand
    for the coffee maker and other uses though.
    At my work there is a tradition of boiling the tap water.

http://www.dwsd.org/downloads_n/abou...2014-09-10.pdf

This goes with the May 8th post referencing the proposed new construction at the WWTP.

Oh how I miss Detroit tap water! We live in rural Minnesota and have well water. Before it goes through the water conditioner/softener, it smells like fish, and if you leave a glass of it sit for a couple weeks, there is a nice thick layer of red sediment on the bottom. Once it goes through the conditioner/softener, it tastes pretty good. We've been drinking it for 21 years with no ill effects.

A survey a few years ago-[[2012) said Metro Detroit had the best drinking water in the USA, beside why would you drink bottle water, its not regulated in fact one of the companies that sell it gets it from a spring next to a sewer system, also most companies are ripping people off, by just putting tap water in a botttle.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    A survey a few years ago-[[2012) said Metro Detroit had the best drinking water in the USA, beside why would you drink bottle water, its not regulated in fact one of the companies that sell it gets it from a spring next to a sewer system, also most companies are ripping people off, by just putting tap water in a botttle.
    Baloney, There's pictures of mountain tops, glaciers, and running springs on the labels, the water in those bottles has to come from there.

sorry, they had a news special about bottle water on NBC a few months ago about bottle water,

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Baloney, There's pictures of mountain tops, glaciers, and running springs on the labels, the water in those bottles has to come from there.
    next to a sewer system, also most companies are ripping people off, by just putting tap water in a botttle.Baloney, There's pictures of mountain tops, glaciers, and running springs on the labels, the water in those bottles has to come from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    sorry Honk-Tonk thats just marketing ploy. NBC had a special segament about the truth of bottle water a few months ago, it totally blew my mind, how people fall for gimmicks of bottle water. Google it, you find out for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    sorry Honk-Tonk thats just marketing ploy. NBC had a special segament about the truth of bottle water a few months ago, it totally blew my mind, how people fall for gimmicks of bottle water. Google it, you find out for yourself
    It was sarcasm. YEARS ago, when the bottled water craze first started, 60 Minutes tested NY City tap water against half a dozen bottled water manufacturers. The NY City tap water tested equal to 5 of the bottled waters. In one instance, it had less contaminants then the bottled water. I've actually drank water from mountain tops, it doesn't taste like plastic.

I drink tap water but keep bottled water around for whoever wants it. One bottled water I can't stand and won't drink is Absopure. It has a very strong metallic taste to me.

Have lived all over North America, including:
    Canada, Mexico, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Texas, Mississippi, Kentucky, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Maryland, New Jersey, New York and California. IMHO CoD tap water is by far the best.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast