Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    First of all, this thing was inches from demolition and if Duggan wasn't in office it would be gone. So I find the people who are proposing alternative uses to have extremely not-compelling arguments. The City cannot afford to rebuild this ruin at all, let alone rebuild it into a purely public good that doesn't raise money. The City is turning it over to private hands [[as a matter of absolute neccesity), and the private hands need to make at least some income off of this.

So be real and awknowledge that. This isn't SimCity and we cannot-- as much as we'd like to-- press a button and see a new rec center.

In addition, I believe that implied premise that the restored rec center will not "be a service to the community" is simply wrong. There is going to be office space for multiple community organizations, and a downright inspirational program that will teach young people the culinary arts. Further, the simple act of preservation of the various rec facilities like the bball court and boxing ring are critical, given the history. The fact that the income-generating conduit to this end will be a restaurant, allegedly for "pale faces," doesn't detract from the laudable end. And hmmm, let's take a look around, do you see any other bars and restaurants within 5 or even 10 blocks of this area? Nope. Brush Park has no restaurants. But we'd like Brush Park to be a livable multi-use place, right? Hmm, sounds like a restaurant would be a GREAT use, actually. Oh and what's the current status of Brush Park? Something like 85% prairie? I'm right back to the beggars can't be choosers theme...

Final note, it is fairly clear that a portion of grounds around which the new development will be built, south of the reinstated Brewster Street, will be for recreational purposes. Wisely, the City planners are eyeing this corner as prime for rec space. So to me it sounds like the mission of the Brewster rec center is not only being reincarnated but expanded. And I have some bad news for you: when it is reincarnated into a softball or soccer field etc., there may be some pale faces mixed in with the scene. Be guided accordingly.
    I read your post.

My only question: Can the developer get all of the rec space, commercial space, meeting space, parking, and over 100 housing units into 6 [[?) acres?

Otherwise, finding someone to invest 15M on the renovation is truly remarkable.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-16-15 at 02:53 PM.