It's just market correction and bad tenants. Radio Shack-- struggling company that closed hundreds if not thousands of outlets. FatBurger-- not befitting the midtown taste [[there's not much space to occupy between the low-brow stalwarts like McD's on Woodward and the higher brow, local-focused tastes of the average midtown newcomer). Biggby-- also part of corporate downsizing, I do believe. If not, let's consider that the coffee space is extremely well covered along Woodward and for chain options there is already Starbucks close by. Starbucks has loyal patrons and is not going anywhere. The rest of the space seems to be going towards smaller/specialized coffee. Caribou/Peets is basically going under-- another example.

Finally, Melt. I think it's a density issue. Nice concept, just not enough people. Plus getting gelato is not a destination thing, it's something you do when you're already in the neighborhood hanging out. Another tenant from a related/same sector has already jumped in, so you can see the interest in trying out the space.

Bottom line, though, is I think Midtown is en route to doubling its density, and honestly NEEDS to double its density to support a full range of high quality retail. Go to Cass and Canfield, pretty near the heart of new midtown, and look around. There is so much empty space left for infill. You've got WSU sitting around and doing nothing with its "South University District" development at that corner, and Cass is just full of underutilized space and parking lots. It's not a particularly dense area, yet. Again, it's on track to get there in ten years, but because it's not there yet, you are going to see high quality, destination establishments like Selden Standard, Avalon, and Shinola's block of retail thrive [[or continue to thrive, I should say), just as Corktown is thriving despite a low population density, but basic stuff like chain burger and coffee places go under for simple lack of potential customers.