Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

This thread has certainly taken a turn. From a man having a problem buying a newspaper to a mother wondering why her son is thinking about buying a house. Both written by the same person. I can't speak about the newspaper incident. But concerning the house if your son is using his own money it would probably be best if you stayed out of it. I speak from experience. Been there...done that...and finally moved on.
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; March-25-15 at 05:25 PM.

Mea Culpa, I do take twists and turns. Sumas here! The point is why be denied /or offered usary rates for a written paper. Pretty sure we like to stay abreast of local news. A sincere desire to understand and be a significant part of our our community should never be denied. So shoot me.

As to son, well meaning ass! Must take after Mom.

I've got one of those, too, sumas. Had to wire my 52 year old 1k to help pay off a car loan....that he had co-signed for his ex, who promptly wrecked it without insurance. But he's a good kid, so whattheheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I've got one of those, too, sumas. Had to wire my 52 year old 1k to help pay off a car loan....that he had co-signed for his ex, who promptly wrecked it without insurance. But he's a good kid, so whattheheck.
    Ray can I adopt you? Do laugh a little, kids calls show up on phone and we shake our heads and say what do they want now. But like you, I love my kids, really good kids. Our folks helped us in need, so we help them.

My son still deals with his ex too. Why, no clue. Her family still has hissies that his ex father in law continues to adores him. Quite an uproar when Daddy ex, flew him to Nevada for a week of gun practice at a private club, a race and a nice time in Vegas last month. They have the bucks, we don't. Nice though for our son.

Back to Final Call and Farrakhan, it's a mix message to say the least. When Farrakhan visits a church [[whatever church would allow that) he delivers a different message [[sermon) than for the NOI members. I don't know why that is not clear. I've heard his messages taped to NOI and there's a whole different emphasis. Re. the Final Call folks: have not seen them in a while. The used to frequent Dexter Davison area. Maybe it's just too rough for even their sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Ray can I adopt you? Do laugh a little, kids calls show up on phone and we shake our heads and say what do they want now. But like you, I love my kids, really good kids. Our folks helped us in need, so we help them.
    Hey, family is family, and you only have one. Yeah, it's for better or worse, I suppose, but we generally ignore the 'worse' and focus on the 'better'. It's healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Back to Final Call and Farrakhan, it's a mix message to say the least. When Farrakhan visits a church [[whatever church would allow that) he delivers a different message [[sermon) than for the NOI members. I don't know why that is not clear. I've heard his messages taped to NOI and there's a whole different emphasis. Re. the Final Call folks: have not seen them in a while. The used to frequent Dexter Davison area. Maybe it's just too rough for even their sellers.
    I see that as another sign of a great orator. It genuinely pays off to "Know your audience".

There are many examples of speakers who lose an audience. One of my favorites was when I was at Wayne during a seminar involving Labor Studies.

A young twenty something woman who had a degree in Psychiatry was delivering a speech in the auditorium attended by 300, 400 or so UAW members. The subject was dealing with stress. These workers who manned the lines and their union reps. When she told a room full of factory rats that she deals with stress by just having her staff cancel her patients and just leave the office...

Well let's just say she lost the crowd.

If you have ever worked the lines at a car/truck plant you know what I’m talking about.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-26-15 at 12:09 PM.

^^^ I hear you on the know you audience thing. I just find it interesting that people will say they understand NOI from surface info, completely forgetting that he has completely different message in regards to intent and world view before Christians and the NOI. Thus, people derives different ideas about NOI doctrine. They used to come to Cobo Hall from time to time, but not lately.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-26-15 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Hey, family is family, and you only have one. Yeah, it's for better or worse, I suppose, but we generally ignore the 'worse' and focus on the 'better'. It's healthy!
    Still want to adopt you.

Unfortunately with health care costs... sure, RIGHT , AFFORDABLE???,
    Stunned to say the least.

Important meds not covered.

A young healthy neighbor is paying more for coverage than my husband for useless health care.

I plan to apply for every social program known to man. Helped neighbors get assistance, guess I need that now. I really do like to eat.

PS: kids still as cute as buttons. Love them all! Life is a journey.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Been up to Harbor Town grocery for the 4th time in 5 days. Not my usual stomping grounds but husband needs seafood they have in their deli to gain weight.

Lovely, expensively dressed afro mid aged american male, selling Final Call, a black muslim newspaper for a buck is always there. Always disapears when we show up. We be white apparently, devils encarnate.
    I really don't understand your experience. That gentleman has been there almost as long as Harbortown Market itself. He is always quite pleasant to me. I go there quite often, and I've never seen him disappear except for a bathroom break, nor have I seen him dis anybody who speaks to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well now THAT is interesting because he always asks me if I'd like one. Sometimes I buy one, sometimes I shrug him off. I'm pretty sure I give him a buck. I don't shop there much anymore since it changed hands and prices increased. Seafood increases weight? Try canolies instead.
    HonkyTonk, I shop Harbortown, Lafayette Foods and Honey Bee, and while I often hear people say Harbortown is expensive, I've never found that to be true. Here and there, you might find some discrepancies, but overall, I think it is competitive. Back when it first opened [[1985 or so), they did seem to cater to the upscale neighborhoods in the area [[Lafayette Park, Harbortown, Indian Village). While they still seem to want to hang on to that "gourmet market" feel, on balance, I think their prices are fair.

If anything, I would say their prices have dropped since they changed owners a few years ago, and they do offer some pretty good sale items.
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-04-15 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    HonkyTonk, I shop Harbortown, Lafayette Foods and Honey Bee, and while I often hear people say Harbortown is expensive, I've never found that to be true. Here and there, you might find some discrepancies, but overall, I think it is competitive. Back when it first opened [[1985 or so), they did seem to cater to the upscale neighborhoods in the area [[Lafayette Park, Harbortown, Indian Village). While they still seem to want to hang on to that "gourmet market" feel, on balance, I think their prices are fair.

If anything, I would say their prices have dropped since they changed owners a few years ago, and they do offer some pretty good sale items.
    I disagree. I've shopped @ Harbor Town since they've opened, even when I didn't live on this side of town. They were always a bit pricey-er but their hot foods were well prepared [[for a grocery store), and I didn't mind paying a bit more, because I don't care for fast food places. Since the change-over, the quality has dropped, and there's seldom a sale on anything. Their hot food now is on the order of party stores and gas station hot food. If your going to charge Ho' Food prices, provide Ho' Food fare. I also shop La Colmena, Lafayette Foods, and non-chain stores in other areas of town. I think the paper vendor would make more sales if he yelled "Last Call!"
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-04-15 at 04:03 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3