Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Food from other places

Inspired by therare things to eat... thread from the detroit side

Friends visited last weekend from Philly, and I would have kicked them out had they not brought Scrapple and Taylor Pork Roll.

What food from other places do you wish you could get here?

Chilli from Springfield, Il. Yep, they spell it with two l's.
    Real cheesesteak from Aldo's. Just N.E. of Philly.
    B.B.Q Pork sandwich. Sliced not pulled from Maitland, Fl.
    A Porterhouse the quality of Harry Carey's in Chicago.

chipped ham - from around the Pittsburgh area.

Sweet tea!

O.

ccbatson Guest

It used to be that Detroit area/style bagels were unique [[in a good way), however, with the advent of national franchising, now they can be had just about anywhere....accept for the original fragels

bubble tea
    pinkberry®
    [[good quality) sushi restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    chipped ham - from around the Pittsburgh area.
    Love chipped ham! BTW, I'm in Florida, but our local grocery store just started carrying chopped ham, they offer Oscar Myer packaged and also at the Deli. You may be able to find it in one of the larger chain stores.

Lferg - Whenever we would visit my Pennsylvania grandparents a stack of chipped ham was always in the fridge for quick sandwiches with grandpa's homegrown tomatoes and leaf lettuce with mayo.

Chipped ham has a certain flavor to it that I've never found around here. I'll be on the lookout though - thanks for the tip!

Jman, what do Floridians know about barbecue? What kind of sauce was it?

For what it's worth, I would kill to be able to get a couple coneys. Or even White Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

For what it's worth, I would kill to be able to get a couple coneys. Or even White Castle.
    BBQ here sucks...We have Sonny's...that's about it

Sonny's Smokin' sauce is great!

They don't know much but every now and then you run into a place like Bubbaloo's Bodacious Barbeque in Maitland. Three sauces you apply yourself. Regular, Hot and Killer. I find that half hot and half killer is about as good as it gets. They do pork shoulders on a spit for about 12 hours and then thin slice it and stack it high. Add a cold beer on ice out of the wash bucket [[help yourself) or a sweet tea and your living.

I agree with d.mcc, Sonny's sucks. Tried it twice as I thought the first meal must have been a bad day for the kitchen. It wasn't.

Are the "regular", "hot", and "killer" the ketchup-based stuff that you usually find everywhere west of the Appalachians?

Are the "regular", "hot", and "killer" the ketchup-based stuff that you usually find everywhere west of the Appalachians?
    While it is a red sauce, it is not ketchup based nor sweet. A rather thin sauce with a slight smokey taste. Made right on the premisis.

d.mcc, from eastbound I-4, get off at Lee Road. Turn right and go about 3/4 to one mile. Small place on the left hand side. It's about two blocks before Lee Road dead ends. Picnic tables outside [[and inside). If you go, please report back as to your findings. In my opinion, it is well worth the trip. If you go at lunch or dinner time, expect to wait a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    They don't know much but every now and then you run into a place like Bubbaloo's Bodacious Barbeque in Maitland. Three sauces you apply yourself. Regular, Hot and Killer. I find that half hot and half killer is about as good as it gets. They do pork shoulders on a spit for about 12 hours and then thin slice it and stack it high. Add a cold beer on ice out of the wash bucket [[help yourself) or a sweet tea and your living.

I agree with d.mcc, Sonny's sucks. Tried it twice as I thought the first meal must have been a bad day for the kitchen. It wasn't.
    Dude...where is that at???

I'm in West Orlando...I-4 eastbound to where?