Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Funny, and true!

Don't want to be a sourpuss but, NAIN BLANCHE / RENTRER A LA MAISON should read;

NAIN BLANC / RENTREZ A LA MAISON. Nain; the dwarf in the masculine gender means that the adjective blanc agrees with the noun. Blanche is the feminine of Blanc. Also, the verb Rentrer is written in the infinitive. The Imperative should read: RENTREZ. That one is a common mistake among French speakers.
    Now I remember why I did not become a French teacher, a complex but charming language

It's just plain simple silly fun. I imagine the cause to be.... leave disasters for Detroit, alone, don't cause new ones. We have so many! Its much like the St Patricks Day, everyone is Irish for that day. Detroit needs levity. Not lectures.

Nain Rouge is a little dwarf demon that roam around the State of Michigan before the age of European settlers. Even Native Americans knew about that creature when they Great Lakes Region in the states thousands of years ago.

In 1701 the first sighting of Nain Rouge when Antione de la Mothe Cadillac was exploring that area what is about be become Detroit. Nain Rouge attack Cadillac and stole his items and ran off.

In 1801 Nain Rouge could be responsible of increasing the Great Fire of Detroit.

In 1850's Nain Rouge was spotted during the battle of Bull Run.

In 1967 Nain Rouge could be responsible of increasing the 12th Street and Clairmount St. riots.

In 1976 Nain Rouge could be responsible for the Great Detroit Blizzard that brought up to 2 and half feet of snow. Maybe it's God's way trying to get him out of Detroit which he did.

In the 1980s to today Nain Rouge is back. This time invisibly manipulating the weak minds of Detroit political officials to get in trouble for the local news media. Keeping the weak minds of poor low-income Detroit families pacified in their own wrecked and blighted neighborhoods. Stirring up racial problems between blacks Detroiters and White suburbanites. Ending Detroit automobile industry and reducing Downtown Detroit regionalism to nothing-less. Getting mostly black Detroit males to rob, steal, rape and kill innocent people in Detroit and suburbs. Starting more arson fires in ghetto hoods.

The Post Mardi-Gras parade of Le Marche du Nain Rouge will chase that creature out of Detroit hopefully for good.
    Last edited by Danny; March-22-15 at 08:25 AM.

Yet another reason to go-- the involvement of the Caribbean parade folks!
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/l...rouge/31916516

Bonus this year, continuing on the Caribbean theme-- post the post parties, Norma G's Caribbean food truck debuts 5-10pm outside St Cece's. The curry chicken roti wrap I sampled at their recent pop-up was quite good.

Of course the curry hand pies and Khao Soi being offered up by Katoi-in-hiatus over at Motor City Wine's Sundaylicious [[5pm till food is gone) sound incredibly inviting as well. Decisions, decisions!

Demonism is in the eye of the beholder. It is actually a Christian concept. We have to remember that one culture's demon may well be a positive spirit to someone else.

It was fun. I particularly liked the twelve or thirteen year old near Mario's with the super soaker squirt gun, labelled "Holy Water", who threatened Nain Rouge as he passed.

Mini-bump Pam, because I love the video you posted of the parade. I was at the St Paddy's day parade in Montreal today with my son and it was damned cold.

Lotsa fun stuff at our parade but what I like about Nain Rouge is that it is a participatory event, everybody gets in on it and gets disguised in the true spirit of Mardi-Gras. It is something that will definitely grow on Detroiters and become a strong feature of their creativity and humor.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Funny, and true!

Don't want to be a sourpuss but, NAIN BLANCHE / RENTRER A LA MAISON should read;

NAIN BLANC / RENTREZ A LA MAISON. Nain; the dwarf in the masculine gender means that the adjective blanc agrees with the noun. Blanche is the feminine of Blanc. Also, the verb Rentrer is written in the infinitive. The Imperative should read: RENTREZ. That one is a common mistake among French speakers.
    Google translate misled me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    And this is where I part company with the naive theme of the Nain Rouge parade which is centers around vilifying and boo-ing Le Nain. The organizers clearly are oblivious to the history Gazhekwe has provided.

As a consequence we have the uncomfortable aspect, even if well-meaning and frivolous, of a largely white crowd yelling that a little red guy that he isn't welcome in a largely non-white city.

A better statement in step with the times would be to welcome Mishipishu [Le Nain], apologize for happened that created the resentment, and place a monument / plaque on Belle Isle telling the real story....
    Excellent suggestion on so many levels.

Not to rain on a really good parade, but now we should also contemplate the message of The Lord of the Flies/Simon:
    He is brutally killed by the boys, who ironically mistake him for the beast and kill him in their "dance" in which they "ripped and tore at the beast".
    But I don't expect anything like that to happen here. We're better than that.

Yes, we are.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-22-15 at 09:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2