Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
Who really cares about the diversity of the candidates? What is diversity, the color of somebody's skin? How about we look beyond that and simply pick a person, regardless of color, that shares the same ideals as us? Or are some people on here suggesting that skin color is the driving force behind somebody's beliefs? Personally, I have zero problem with a black candidate, or candidate of any other color, representing me...as long as they share the same beliefs, and strive to achieve the same goals for the city.
Of course, all this is true. But I find it interesting that everyone seems to agree that "diversity" [[meaning ethnic diversity) is a good thing to have where you live; "diversity" is trumpeted as a positive in the Detroit area. Yet most municipalities in metro Detroit are actually homogeneous. The cities of Detroit, and its mirror image, Livonia, are both especially homogeneous. It seems that people choose to live near others of similar ethnic backgrounds, for the most part. Anyway, with that kind of homogeneity, it stands to reason that you're not going to field a diverse group of candidates.

So, maybe diversity is not that big a deal, after all.

The potential of having a more ethnically diverse City Council has been cited as a reason to switch to the district system. I submit that it will increase council member accountability, and accountability only... which is still a good thing, I suppose.