Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

According to the article it only takes one vote from a DAC board member to reject someone for membership. Given that standard it's hard to imagine someone with a reputation such as Feiger's would have any chance of getting in.

What's so special about the "police" cases is that this particular money is paid out of taxpayer
    dollars, which many citizens are very reluctant to increase the quantity of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    What's so special about the "police" cases is that this particular money is paid out of taxpayer
    dollars, which many citizens are very reluctant to increase the quantity of.
    And no wonder...

Bham1982 embellishes more stories than Brian Williams. He must be transparent, because I can see right thru him.

As an Englishman once said "I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member."

Does the DAC admit women in their own right, or do they have to be Mrs. Somebody?

I'm sure Mr. Feiger has an ego, but doesn't it take a certain of level of ego to join a private club? Swimming, networking, making friends, racquetball, bowling leagues, and going out to dinner are all things I can do for free or cheaper than paying monthly dues for the rest of my life. So it's one ego against the other ego.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm sure Mr. Feiger has an ego, but doesn't it take a certain of level of ego to join a private club? Swimming, networking, making friends, racquetball, bowling leagues, and going out to dinner are all things I can do for free or cheaper than paying monthly dues for the rest of my life. So it's one ego against the other ego.
    Likewise, doesn't it take a certain level of ego to live in a nice house [[and more so in a nice neighborhood), drive a nice car, wear nice clothes, attain higher education, send your kids to good schools, work out, have a job that pays more than average, date/marry an attractive/successful person, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Likewise, doesn't it take a certain level of ego to live in a nice house [[and more so in a nice neighborhood), drive a nice car, wear nice clothes, attain higher education, send your kids to good schools, work out, have a job that pays more than average, date/marry an attractive/successful person, etc.?
    No because those are all things most everyone strives for and the vast majority attain. A private club is a want rather than a need. I don't need a club to play golf or tennis, eat dinner, network, swim, make friends, or have validation of my wealth.

Also, since blacks, Jews, and women are allowed to be members, are gay couples allowed in? I'm not asking it in a malicious way just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    A working class person, or a non working class person, can join any institution to which he or she can afford the initiation fee and dues and to which his or her character and standing in the community is approved of by the current members of said institution.
    Like I said, what's available for the working class, because the DAC is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    The DAC is not a snooty private club [[obviously some are) at all it is just much nicer than a lifetime fitness. It has extra amenities, fine dining, casual grill, all the workout stuff, pool and a lot more activities. They are well equipped for hosting large parties like weddings or retirement parties for members as well as a small business lunch or a birthday party for a friend. They also host member events as well like a Xmas party for members that would be coat and tie and then have their lions tailgate brunches that is casual. The members are just like any big group of people you find anywhere. Some are outgoing and easy to meet some are quiet and shy, some funny some not. Some laugh at losing a game of racquet ball some get mad at themselves for losing. It's a lot like any big group of people. They have Rules, they are of course called bylaws. They are not too picky about who joins if you can afford it and don't have any enemies or bad blood with a current member, that is usually the sticking point that prevents getting in for regular people. Famous people are usually more heavilly looked at for being famous. Everyone has an opinion and talks about it a little more. If the famous candidate has bad press like calling the Governor's family farm animals, or has been indicted by the FBI, that could hurt his chances. Members consist of state employees, Detroit employees, federal employees, doctors, nurses, lawyers, paralegals, GM people, DTE folks, ATT employees, DPD officers, DFD firefighters, building superintendents... all kinds of diffirent people. The cost is only supposed to be discussed with prospective members so I will abide by that one even though I bent a few others, but I will say it is not out of line with what they offer or exorborant.

You do not seen to comprehend what i said in answer to your initial question. There are most certainly "working class" members at the club.

Now, if your definition of "working class" is people with a chip on their shoulder who always feel left out and picked upon, as you seem to want to define it, then perhaps your brand of "working class" folks would feel more comfortable joining the local Elk's club.

What you don't seem to understand is that we're all working class. Every one of us who goes to work every day or who is retired from working is working class. Working class includes doctors, ditch diggers, attorneys, bus drivers, executives, sanitation workers, teachers, firemen, accountants, utility workers etc.

Life is so much better when it is bereft of envy and bitterness.

Now, if your definition of "working class" is people with a chip on their shoulder who always feel left out and picked upon, as you seem to want to define it, then perhaps your brand of "working class" folks would feel more comfortable joining the local Elk's club.
    Wow ok, life would also be so much better when it is bereft of snide comments against the Elks Club. My grandfather was a proud and active member until the day he died. He never spoke ill against the wealthy, was perfectly content with his middle class life, and worked hard and never complained. I for one am not trying to discredit or bash the DAC, but please don't bash the Elks Club, thank you.

It's obvious from that Beverly Hills wannabe house of his that club members don't want him to have any chance of ever getting anywhere near the club's architecture and design committee. They owe that much to Albert Kahn.

Wow ok, life would also be so much better when it is bereft of snide comments against the Elks Club. My grandfather was a proud and active member until the day he died. He never spoke ill against the wealthy, was perfectly content with his middle class life, and worked hard and never complained. I for one am not trying to discredit or bash the DAC, but please don't bash the Elks Club, thank you.
    *standing up holding both hands up*
    Chill guys, both of you are good people. As I read this I can see where what was written is being taken wrong and out of context. It easily happens on forums when there are no facial expressions or tone of voice. Even worse on this forum because some people come here with the sole purpose of attempting to get people worked up just because they hate Detroit and by proxy hate anyone who likes or wants to see Detroit do well. I have read plenty of post by both of you to know that's not the case here.

No because those are all things most everyone strives for and the vast majority attain. A private club is a want rather than a need. I don't need a club to play golf or tennis, eat dinner, network, swim, make friends, or have validation of my wealth.

Also, since blacks, Jews, and women are allowed to be members, are gay couples allowed in? I'm not asking it in a malicious way just wondering.
    It's highly dubious to claim that "most everyone strives for" a nice house [[and more so in a nice neighborhood), drive a nice car, wear nice clothes, attain higher education, send your kids to good schools, work out, have a job that pays more than average, date/marry an attractive/successful person, etc.

It's downright false to claim that "the vast majority" of people attain such things. Furthermore, outside of the basics [[food/water, shelter, etc.), most things in life are wants not needs.

I would assume that gay couples are allowed in...I haven't seen/heard anything to the contrary.

It's highly dubious to claim that "most everyone strives for" a nice house [[and more so in a nice neighborhood), drive a nice car, wear nice clothes, attain higher education, send your kids to good schools, work out, have a job that pays more than average, date/marry an attractive/successful person, etc.

It's downright false to claim that "the vast majority" of people attain such things. Furthermore, outside of the basics [[food/water, shelter, etc.), most things in life are wants not needs.

I would assume that gay couples are allowed in...I haven't seen/heard anything to the contrary.
    Ahhhhh ok so everyone wants to live in a crime ridden neighborhood, driving a beater car, wearing dirty, size too big clothes, be poorly educated, and look like a complete slob. Yup, no one wants a sense of dignity and self worth. Got it.

And yes, I would say the vast majority of Americans, never mind their personal problems, have some footing and respectable livelihood. We live in the first world, not the second not the third. Most of us live in safe neighborhoods, have access to food and water, work for a living, drive a car or take reliable transit, wear clothes that aren't second hand from another place, have an education, live in average to better school districts, and are allowed to marry and date whomever we darn well please.

Because Geoff has a huge ego. He thinks he is "the man".

And if the DAC has a history of racism and anti-Semitism, why were my family and I accepted? Our club is probably the most diverse of all private institutions in the state.

Once again Geoff's mouth is his downfall. I certainly did not support his bid for membership.
    its my understanding this isn't the first club to deny him membership and not the first time he's made that type of allegation as a response to the denial.

I've had a few dealings with Feiger in some matters dealing with the business side of his firm and his various interests. He is, hands down, one of the most pompous asses I've ever met and I've worked within Wall Street circles. He belittles and berates subordinates, insults and disrespects peers and is dishonest about even the most innocuous of things. It seems clear to me he has decided every interaction in life is a life or death battle to be won by any means necessary. Its worked out for him financially for sure, and it's fine ...so long as you don't care that everyone you deal with in a professional capacity neither likes, trusts or respects you.

At some point that behavior catches up to you when you apply for entry in a social club...no matter how many of your kid's soccer games you go to.
    Last edited by bailey; March-02-15 at 11:20 AM.

[QUOTE=bailey;472189]its my understanding this isn't the first club to deny him membership and not the first time he's made that type of allegation as a response to the denial.

I've had a few dealings with Feiger in some matters dealing with the business side of his firm and his various interests. He is, hands down, one of the most pompous asses I've ever met and I've worked within Wall Street circles. He belittles and berates subordinates, insults and disrespects peers and is dishonest about even the most innocuous of things. It seems clear to me he has decided every interaction in life is a life or death battle to be won by any means necessary. Its worked out for him financially for sure, and it's fine ...so long as you don't care that everyone you deal with in a professional capacity neither likes, trusts or respects you.

At some point that behavior catches up to you when you apply for entry in a social club...no matter how many of your kid's soccer games you go to.[/QUOTE

Amen to that! You, sir, speak the truth.

Ahhhhh ok so everyone wants to live in a crime ridden neighborhood, driving a beater car, wearing dirty, size too big clothes, be poorly educated, and look like a complete slob. Yup, no one wants a sense of dignity and self worth. Got it.

And yes, I would say the vast majority of Americans, never mind their personal problems, have some footing and respectable livelihood. We live in the first world, not the second not the third. Most of us live in safe neighborhoods, have access to food and water, work for a living, drive a car or take reliable transit, wear clothes that aren't second hand from another place, have an education, live in average to better school districts, and are allowed to marry and date whomever we darn well please.
    Big differences between below standard, basic/average/respectable, and "nice" things...and you know it. Tough to see you moving the goal posts back and forth within the same claim in order to take a pot shot at others.

Big differences between below standard, basic/average/respectable, and "nice" things...and you know it. Tough to see you moving the goal posts back and forth within the same claim in order to take a pot shot at others.
    So it's not nice to be basic/average/respectable? I'm not saying everyone strives to be members of the DAC, own three homes, and afford a trip to Paris every year. I'm just saying Americans strive to live comfortably, in however they take that as being. I haven't moved any post, you seem to not understand the American dream.

[QUOTE=Bham1982;472082]Do you know him and his family personally? I do. He's basically the ultimate family man, and nothing like his public reputation. He is literally at every soccer practice for his kids, and could not be quieter or more understated in his personal dealings. He lives modestly. And I think he's a nut in many respects! But you don't know him, unless you know him.

Boy do you have your head up your ass! Except for the Detroit Club, Detroit Boat Club and a couple obscure eating clubs, most of clubs that were here 100 years ago are still standing. The DAC is thriving with a waiting list if I remember correctly. I do know Geoff on a personal level and he is a complete ASSHOLE. From what I understand the club received several dozen letters blackballing him. The usual for most applicants is one or two.

Nobody is willing to say how much it costs to be a member.

American Legion
    VFW
    Moose
    Elks
    Eagles
    Optimist
    Odd Fellows
    Masons
    Rotary
    Kiwanis
    Lions
    Boat Clubs [[less expensive yacht clubs)
    Knights of Columbus

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    American Legion
    VFW
    Moose
    Elks
    Eagles
    Optimist
    Odd Fellows
    Masons
    Rotary
    Kiwanis
    Lions
    Boat Clubs [[less expensive yacht clubs)
    Knights of Columbus
    DetroitYES!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast