Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    There you go using facts and not just spouting off.

I have never seen someone so continually determined to proving their ignorance.

You must be talking about the resident know-it-all, Bham1982.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    SEMCOG has done a monthly survey of all communities in the region for residential building permits since 1969. Quick, better tell them they don't have the capacity to do something they have been doing for 45 years.
    http://www.semcog.org/data/apps/permits.cfm

They also sent out a press release for their new population estimates this morning. That's quite apropos of them.
    http://library.semcog.org/InmagicGen...cember2014.pdf

As an aside, I went to school with the guy that heads their demographics department. Last time I checked, Michigan hadn't revoked his PhD.
    Great data. Thanks for this.

I'm usually in agreement with Bham, but it honestly sounds like he hasn't gone west of Novi in at least 5-10 years. But he is probably an Oakland County lifer who grew up with the pretentious idea that Livingston County was white trash hillbillies and Oakland County was *the* region's bubble of wealth and enlightenment. While BH/Bham are still super strong towns, it's obvious to anyone who looks at the above data that the Metro Detroit upper-middle class sprawl is booming in places around Clarkston, Oakland Twp, Lyon, Macomb Twp, Ann Arbor...and Livingston County.

As for Livingston County being too far for Detroit sprawl; it's only a 45 minute commute from Brighton to the Ren Cen.
    Last edited by MAcc; February-21-15 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    SEMCOG has done a monthly survey of all communities in the region for residential building permits since 1969. Quick, better tell them they don't have the capacity to do something they have been doing for 45 years.
    http://www.semcog.org/data/apps/permits.cfm

They also sent out a press release for their new population estimates this morning. That's quite apropos of them.
    http://library.semcog.org/InmagicGen...cember2014.pdf

As an aside, I went to school with the guy that heads their demographics department. Last time I checked, Michigan hadn't revoked his PhD.
    The SEMCOG numbers say that Detroit has nearly lost 10% of its population in 4 years. That would mean there has been no slowdown in the rate of population decline from 2000-2010.

Do any other sources corroborate this?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The SEMCOG numbers say that Detroit has nearly lost 10% of its population in 4 years. That would mean there has been no slowdown in the rate of population decline from 2000-2010.

How has Detroit done since the 1950 census?

Birmingham is a nice city and still growing, but this statement:

"And Livingston isn't even part of the Detroit urbanized area. It isn't a gauge of sprawl at the fringe, because the fringe isn't quite in Livingston yet [[but it will be, one day). You cannot build subdivisions of 600k homes without water/sewer. It's completely impossible on well systems."

needs to be updated a little. It is now legal in Michigan for subdivisions to have wastewater "package plants", and well water is doable in most places in Michigan.

Livingston County is probably good for those families with one person working in Ann Arbor
    and another working in Lansing or Tri Cities or metro Detroit. The commute per person
    is longer but the commute "weight" per person is less - no one has a two hour one way commute. It is multicommunity sprawl, rather than just metro Detroit sprawl.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post

Livingston County is probably good for those families with one person working in Ann Arbor
    and another working in Lansing or Tri Cities or metro Detroit. The commute per person
    is longer but the commute "weight" per person is less - no one has a two hour one way commute. It is multicommunity sprawl, rather than just metro Detroit sprawl.
    Indeed. Brighton is 45 minutes or less to Lansing, Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, Ann Arbor. I consider Livingston County the safest residential bet in the state, behind only Ann Arbor and its closer burbs.
    Last edited by MAcc; February-22-15 at 10:26 AM.

Last time I was in Brighton was 1961 on my way to my cousin's wedding in Lansing. The only thing i remember vividly was a little diner called the "Squat and Gobble".

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    How has Detroit done since the 1950 census?
    Detroit has only declined by more than 20% when there was also a decline in population at the regional level [[1970-1980 and 2000-2010). If Detroit is indeed on track to decline by 20% this decade then Metro Detroit is probably also still declining.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

You really think Detroit has stabilized? Wow. Do you watch the news? Bankruptcy, murder, corruption, illiteracy, failing schools and infrastructure. Stability is - best case - 20 years away. <1,000 young transients that give up on the city after a year or two isn't stability.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    You really think Detroit has stabilized? Wow. Do you watch the news? Bankruptcy, murder, corruption, illiteracy, failing schools and infrastructure. Stability is - best case - 20 years away. <1,000 young transients that give up on the city after a year or two isn't stability.
    I didn't ask if it had stabilized.

You didn't have to tell us you "usually agree with Bham1982" we already know.

Indeed. Brighton is 45 minutes or less to Lansing, Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, Ann Arbor. I consider Livingston County the safest residential bet in the state, behind only Ann Arbor and its closer burbs.
    1 hour and change to Howell. Depending on construction and with the commute, probably an hour and a half. Not worth it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2