Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Editorial by Detnews. Some interesting information. Five years to build, once started.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/editorials/2015/02/24/edit-build-bridge/23958529/

Is this a new render?

Well, "new" in terms of its being the most recent. But, it's years old. And, really, it's a concept since they still have to actually now hire an engineer/architect. Not knowing that this would go through, every thing we've seen up until now in terms of the actual bridge design has been conceptualizations.

it may not be a render, but i'd put money on it being a cable-stay bridge

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    it may not be a render, but i'd put money on it being a cable-stay bridge
    I will take that bet. I am going with a suspension bridge. No caissons in the river. To be honest I wouldn't mind at all if you win, cable-stay spanning that river will have some pretty tall towers. This is already more fun than dealing with Mattys commercials.

It's almost certain to be a cable-stayed. Very few new suspension bridges are being built in America, because cable-stayed are way cheaper. My aesthetic preferences started off for cable-stayed because it would be new for the state, but then I saw how many other cities were doing it [[and how limited the designs are), and I'm now leaning towards a suspension. Given that Canada has to basically do all of this, now, by itself, I imagine them going with as cheap as they can get it. And, really, if you're not going to do a suspension bridge right, you probably shouldn't do one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    It's almost certain to be a cable-stayed. Very few new suspension bridges are being built in America, because cable-stayed are way cheaper. My aesthetic preferences started off for cable-stayed because it would be new for the state, but then I saw how many other cities were doing it [[and how limited the designs are), and I'm now leaning towards a suspension. Given that Canada has to basically do all of this, now, by itself, I imagine them going with as cheap as they can get it. And, really, if you're not going to do a suspension bridge right, you probably shouldn't do one at all.
    Are not the costs savings of the cable stayed design limited by the length of the span? I thought that as the span increased in length that suspension became more economical. I'm not a bridge expert so I easily could be wrong on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2