Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

The homeland security bit is such a lame cop-out. First, there is no automatic bar. Second, not sure I get how the entire arena plan is supposed to work, if indeed they need to follow this protocol. They say that the arena is going to be 100% surrounded by full time retail, office, and residential, literally framining the "galleria" structure of the concourses. Won't all of those accessible uses be subject to the same scrutiny? Olympia are talking out of their asses.

How does Ford Field work, moreover? There is office space, home to Lowe Cambell Ewald and Bodman PLC, literally built into the structure.

Also, City Council and residents have a right to know the site plan in intimate detail. What, exactly, will replace the Hotel Park Avenue on that site? Will it be a beneficial use for the community-- i.e. will it look good and be functional, will it be housing and retail or plaza surrounded by same, or will be be a garage/lot or some sort of utilitarian thing that can go elsewhere? The days of demo'ing without a plan to replace are long gone, Olympia.
    Last edited by Mackinaw; February-02-15 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    The homeland security bit is such a lame cop-out. First, there is no automatic bar. Second, not sure I get how the entire arena plan is supposed to work, if indeed they need to follow this protocol. They say that the arena is going to be 100% surrounded by full time retail, office, and residential, literally framining the "galleria" structure of the concourses. Won't all of those accessible uses be subject to the same scrutiny? Olympia are talking out of their asses.

How does Ford Field work, moreover? There is office space, home to Lowe Cambell Ewald and Bodman PLC, literally built into the structure.
    When is Olympia NOT talking out their asses? At least Illitch and Co have a new excuse for never building the "district" part of their "Stadium Districts". I wonder if they'll just blame DHS when none of that adjoining retail office and residential gets built and is instead a moat of parking just like CoPa?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Also, City Council and residents have a right to know the site plan in intimate detail. What, exactly, will replace the Hotel Park Avenue on that site? Will it be a beneficial use for the community-- i.e. will it look good and be functional, will it be housing and retail or plaza surrounded by same, or will be be a garage/lot or some sort of utilitarian thing that can go elsewhere? The days of demo'ing without a plan to replace are long gone, Olympia.
    Based on this, hard to say:

The site plan shows the Harbor Light Building, but just as a grey box. Would that end up being more plaza space? Loading docks? Maybe the parking garage will get bigger?

Kinda weird that they designed the whole thing with that building in place, and then decided to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    Based on this, hard to say:

The site plan shows the Harbor Light Building, but just as a grey box. Would that end up being more plaza space? Loading docks? Maybe the parking garage will get bigger?

Kinda weird that they designed the whole thing with that building in place, and then decided to get rid of it.
    I think that gray box is a TBD box, even though I think I can guess what that means.

Looking at that drawing I'm reminded of the mantra: location, location, location.

That location looks inside the 'perimeter' of the arena complex area [[as I'll call it) looks like the worst possible location for that building to be if it is to survive.

BTW, I assume those three small rectangles in the lower left corner are parcels not owned by the Ilitch folks. I believe I've seen maps of what they do and do not own.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-07-15 at 11:50 PM.