Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    I understand what you are saying. Lots of riff raff everywhere. Hopefully, this will lift his life not hurt it.
    Yes, I pray all the best for him. It's a messed up world, or maybe just me the way I think haa, but the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the map of his everyday movements and preliminary talk of "someone should donate a car for him", was, man, he'll be cruisin' for a jackin'.

Quote Originally Posted by magnumstan View Post
    I think you're missing my point completely...the worry I have reminds me of a story I remember from the mid 80's or so when I was still living in Detroit proper:

Somewhere not too far from me [[east side), a kid of 12 or 13 heard a 9 year old girl struggling and crying, being dragged to an overgrown lot and having her clothes ripped off. He grabbed a rake or broom or some such and chased the scumbag off. He became a hero, on a national level. He met President Reagan, and was given some kind of $10,000 award or scholarship, I don't remember exactly. What I DO remember is the followup story, that that family had to LEAVE DETROIT a few months later due to constant fights and threats because a) "You think you're famous, well take ME on punk" and b) "Gimme your wallet rich boy".
    Eventually that kid began to accept some of those challenges, became a neighborhood tough guy and ended up doing time.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Sorry to be a cynic, but this man is obviously mentally troubled. I don't see giving him a $30K+ check ending well. Anyone with average IQ would have moved to Pontiac ten years ago.
    I agree, he might be a little "slow", or he has a tremendous bond with his co-workers. The article does say that he likes the "social aspect" of his job and that his co-workers have become like family.There are other jobs closer and easier. For instance, security guards at the D.I.A make about $10.50/hr. and they always seem to be hiring. Custodians at Wayne State start at about $12.00/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by R.B.J View Post
    Eventually that kid began to accept some of those challenges, became a neighborhood tough guy and ended up doing time.
    Damn that REALLY sucks. Life in the D...

Wow, on a lighter note, right now this page on my pc has a pic top left of the old Star of David entrance to the Downtown Synagogue, and directly underneath an ad with a tall dark beauty and written across her tight yoga-pantsed butt, "JOIN NOW! DATE ARAB WOMEN!"

Ok, again, maybe only funny in MY mind

Over 113k! This guy doesn't need to work anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    They already raised over 81k and this thing is growing. This guy will probably retire now since he's 56.
    I see the recent post saying $113,000+ donated so far, maybe the guy will give up the "inherited" house and buy one closer to his work...

I think this whole go fund me donation thing is crazy as hell, don't the people donating bother to look at the amount raised so far? I saw in one early pic it showed that they were trying to raise $25,000 and it was past $50,000 so now people are still sending money??? Maybe "generous" and common sense don't go together. It seems to have have gone from "James needs a car" to a house or "retirement".

WTF... I'm older than he is, maybe when this settles down I'll set up a "fund my way to a better life" plan on go fund me and see how many folks will kick in to my retirement fund In the meantime, I guess I'd better keep on showing up at work every week... it's a better bet.

I agree, he might be a little "slow", or he has a tremendous bond with his co-workers. The article does say that he likes the "social aspect" of his job and that his co-workers have become like family.There are other jobs closer and easier. For instance, security guards at the D.I.A make about $10.50/hr. and they always seem to be hiring. Custodians at Wayne State start at about $12.00/hr.
    You know these sort of jobs get thousands of applications a day right? Jobs are not plentiful. Just because he applies to jobs that are closer to him, does not guarantee the job. Obviously if it were just that easy, Detroit's unemployment rate wouldn't be up to 15%.

A one time $113K is hardly a lot of money. Even if he lives very frugally, he wouldn't be able to survive a couple of months with that amount of money without a steady job.

Let's not forget the bills to DC, Lansing and Detroit the guy now owes.

Yup, really helped him out.

I hear he has a car being donated by a local dealer. I went and looked at the gfm site again and found this posted 5hrs ago -

"Angela Osborne, a sales manager at Osborne said she has arranged with the owner of her dealership, Rodgers Chevrolet, to donate a car to Robertson — either a 2014 Chevrolet Cruz or Sonic. “He gets to choose,” she said. The money raised will likely be put in a fund to pay for gas, insurance and maintenance. Insurance is going to be expensive. Detroit has some of the highest auto insurance rates in the country. But figuring that out doesn’t seem so daunting, not after a decade of walking 21 miles to and from work. “I can work that insurance thing out,” Robertson said. “It might be tough, but my dad used to say, tough times don't last — tough people do.” Sources: Detroit Free Press [[Feb. 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Let's not forget the bills to DC, Lansing and Detroit the guy now owes.

Yup, really helped him out.
    Even if taxes take a full 50%, the man is still getting a new [[2014) car and $65,000 that he didn't have before. I think most would agree that meets the "help" definition.
    I know it would improve my standard of living

Yep, I'd make that work for me. Pay the car taxes off, take title, pay car insurance policy for six month blocks [[which nets a discount with most insurers) and then bank the money for the next cash car in a few years after driving this one.

He needs to work to make that amount work best for him now and for future so can stay in a car and not be out walking like that again.

Security guard jobs like you mentioned are notoriously high-turnover and contract based without benefits. Translation: dead end. Perhaps he has some form of benefits and even if he IS mentally challenged, this may be a good 'fit' for him! He's taking care of himself. I'm glad the car he is receiving is not extravagant. I just hate that it's all public as you suddenly GROW friends when money comes. He should think of the future and not the new friends.

Last edited by Zacha341; February-03-15 at 07:38 AM.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...iser/22785185/

After the Free Press told of Robertson's arduous 21-mile trek to and from his suburban factory job, the story inspired thousands of donations from across the nation. A day later, the soft-spoken machine operator got to meet the computer student from Wayne State University who launched an Internet crowd-funding site to gather more than $130,000 — a figure expected to continue to climb today.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Why do you always insist on going off half-cocked?

Look, you know absolutely nothing about the business, the owner, or the other employees. You only know what the newspaper told you. Maybe the story is unbelievable for a reason.

It's clear a lot of posters here have never run a business.
    It's unbelievable to YOU! You see "noise", I based my opinion on the context of the story and secondary research I found about the company.

Tiny shop owners huh?

They have 3 PLANTS IN METRO DETROIT...

They care about their workers?

They outsourced jobs/programs to Mexico and failed. Possibly at the expense of raises to workers like James.

I have more information about this supposed "Mom and Pa" shop if you would like noise? Or how about you do some research on your own?

i know all I need to know about the predatory business practices in this country, thanks bub...

The only person "cocked" is you, "full cocked" and ready to fire the usual blanks that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    It's unbelievable to YOU! You see "noise", I based my opinion on the context of the story and secondary research I found about the company.

Tiny shop owners huh?

They outsourced jobs/programs to Mexico and failed. Possibly at the expense of raises to workers like James.

I have more information about this supposed "Mom and Pa" shop if you would like noise? Or how about you do some research on your own?

i know all I need to know about the predatory business practices in this country, thanks bub...

The only person "cocked" is you, "full cocked" and ready to fire the usual blanks that is...

Yeah, but don't forget, the guy did get one free meal per day, gracias da missus.

With $113K he might, just might, be able to afford City of Detroit auto insurance rates.

For me that is the elephant in the room part of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Security guard jobs like you mentioned are notoriously high-turnover and contract based without benefits. Translation: dead end. Perhaps he has some form of benefits and even if he IS mentally challenged, this may be a good 'fit' for him! He's taking care of himself. I'm glad the car he is receiving is not extravagant. I just hate that it's all public as you suddenly GROW friends when money comes. He should think of the future and not the new friends.
    Both jobs I mentioned offer a 401k and excellent dental and medical benefits.
    They are not contract positions, the only qualifications are a clean driving record and a high school diploma.

^^^ Thanks, I know that to be true with the DIA but was not aware of that for Wayne outside of the policing department. I thought that was contracted out. Machinists, once they have been working at some companies make more on average. In any event I stand on him desiring to stay where he is which may be paying more. I just hope he stays the course and does not let the money change commitment to a work ethic in general.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-03-15 at 11:14 AM.

Well I'd shop around before going with the first company posting a billboard. The worst would be he'd sell the modest car, for some luxury model that requires your OWN annual income to be over 100K to maintain. That's a disaster leading back to the bus and on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    With $113K he might, just might, be able to afford City of Detroit auto insurance rates.

For me that is the elephant in the room part of this story.

Another one of Detroit's big problems solved. So that leaves what, 4 more?

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post

Tiny shop owners huh?

None of this proves what you think it proves. Grow up and try to build something. And don't expect free cars.
    Last edited by noise; February-03-15 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    None of this proves what you think it proves. Grow up and try to build something.
    Nice response, looks like you fired another "blank" when formulating this post.

I posted this to my Facebook. Something still bothers me about this story, so I wrote this thinking it would be cathartic. Please critique, please be civil...

"Ever since this story broke in Sunday’s paper it has become an international headline. A man walks 21 miles to his work that pays him $2 more than the minimum wage. He is an inspiration; a model for which all Americans should look to for a strong work ethic and determination. And because of his plight, we’re going to give him a car!

You know what? Bravo! Yes indeed. His commute is laborious and strenuous. No one should have to commute with that much difficulty, for what seems like so little. I don’t know the man. But it seems to me he might not want the attention he’s getting. He didn't want a free car. He just wanted to work. But people felt sorry for him and decided to chip in to help him buy a car. But that wasn't the point. And I would imagine most people outside of the Metro Detroit area didn't know that. So they gave some money. What was the point of the story?
    One, it was public transit. Something I am very passionate about and knew instantly to read between the lines. Metro Detroit has the worst mass transit of any major metropolitan area, dare I say, in the Western world. And this is no accident. It was a carefully planned and executed design to go from a dense city and sprawling streetcar/interurban system in the early 20th century to a hollowed out city and sprawling road and freeway network today. This is much to the detriment to the city and its reputation and has led to city-suburban infighting that has caused economic and population stagnation. We are still heavily dependent on the auto industry and manufacturing and our 3-5 county metro area [[depending on what you decide is the metro area) has stuck around 4-4.5 million since the 1970. While most areas, like Chicago, have doubled and tripled in size since 1970. And for nearly a century every mass transit plan, in the 20s and 30s it was a subway, in the 70s it was light rail, in the 80s it was Mayor Coleman’s subway, etc., has come and gone vanquished by auto industry infiltration or regional bickering.
    “We don’t want those people in our community” has been the subtle cry of not only mass transit blocking but always the infamous “opt-out communities” of SMART, the suburban bus system which allows communities not have bus service and not pay for it, if their residents so choose. The city where this man works is such a community, a reason he must walk part of the way. So most metro Detroiters are forced into their car, drive on awful roads, and sit in traffic, because this region decided long ago that this was the future. Well it is not.

Two, it the astronomical expense of owning a car in the city of Detroit. While I’m not as versed in insurance as perhaps I should be, car insurance, due to the high crime rates, is not only high in Detroit. In fact, Michigan, as a state, has the highest average car insurance premium in the country. It was sad to hear was, while working at an insurance agency, a prospective customer thought the high rates were due to redlining [[the process of blocking out certain neighborhoods to “undesirables”, propagated by the Federal Housing Administration in the 1930s, and charging higher loan interest rates against them). What’s worse is that my coworker didn't even know what that was. So this man, has he says, can’t afford a car because not only can he afford it outright, he can’t afford all the baggage it comes with; insurance, tabs, maintenance, etc. I love driving, but as far as work in concerned, I would much rather take public transit. But alas can’t because the routes between my home and work are too discombobulated and schedules irregular, that is damn near impossible.
    My point is that the point of the story was missed. He may need a new car, yes, but the bigger picture is the complete failure of this metro to bring about a comprehensive and effective transit system. Now we have a sprawling metro area, with suspicious suburbanites and urbanites, no thanks to leaders like Coleman Young, L. Brooks Patterson, or Governor Engler, all who share blame in this, that view public transit with distrust and subtle racial and anti-tax undertones and sheer ignorance. Not counting leaders in past, like Albert Cobo, who as Detroit mayor oversaw the dismantling of the last streetcar routes in the city. I can only hope that the good that might come out of this, is good for ALL commuters and residents. Not just Mr. Robertson. So I wonder how many metro Detroiters, if they are willing to give money to a total stranger, would be willing to tax themselves in order to give countless others out there and themselves a decent public transportation system and build one so that all of us can use?
    This goes right in hand with the recent report that MDOT is wasting money on commuter rail cars that are supposed to be up and running for a commuter line between Detroit and Ann Arbor and/or Ann Arbor and Howell. But both MDOT and SEMCOG are truly 1950s models of government transportation policies. They lack the insight and gumption to get anything done, transit-wise, and are probably the most embarrassing institutions among Michigan’s government and politics. Thanks MDOT and SEMCOG! You’re the reason we suck at diversity in transit.
    There, end rant."

I think what's bothers me is the over-zealous altruism. That we can give a complete stranger money, but god forbid we tax ourselves to build a better infrastructure for everyone.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast