Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Defund the DPS!

Hybrid View

Of course continuing to do what we're doing now would be irresponsible. Again, no one is saying otherwise. Are they? But that does not mean that defunding public education in Detroit [[I am intentionally avoiding specifying DPS) is the only other answer. It's just the easiest and most glib answer. And an answer that eliminates a system without specifics on how you would build something better in place of what you eliminated just happens to fit my own personal definition of irresponsible.

But, maybe you can just give everyone a $13,500 voucher and all will be right with the [[educational) world in Detroit.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Of course continuing to do what we're doing now would be irresponsible. Again, no one is saying otherwise. Are they? But that does not mean that defunding public education in Detroit [[I am intentionally avoiding specifying DPS) is the only other answer. It's just the easiest and most glib answer. And an answer that eliminates a system without specifics on how you would build something better in place of what you eliminated just happens to fit my own personal definition of irresponsible.

But, maybe you can just give everyone a $13,500 voucher and all will be right with the [[educational) world in Detroit.
    Who's "defunding public education in Detroit?" You're allowing the headline to frame your viewpoint. Latter in the piece, the author references "public schools."

Families would not be forced to enroll their kids in a private school. There would still be a public school system in the conventional sense in Detroit. This would be a way to force the school district to improve and compete for students without their ineptitude forcing people to move out of the city to get a better education for their kids.