Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
We need to give educators the resources they need, AND hold them accountable. As to pay, I'm not sure what they get now, but I know several teachers that recently retired. The last few years they worked making 70K - 75K [[master's + 30) and they're going to get a sweet pension. It's not a bad deal for 30 years of working with summers off. I'm not saying they don't work hard, but I don't buy into that teacher's aren't compensated well.

I went through and worked at school districts that had teachers that needed accountability. Sub-par teachers are protected by unions with all available tools they have. Unions are required to do this.

There's also a lot of teachers that work really hard, really care, and get much more results than other teachers, and the sad part is the only reward for their efforts is an intrinsic one. There's no monetary motivation to work harder than the bare minimum. Your pay is defined by how long you've worked there, and whether you have your masters, masters +30, etc... Results don't matter.
Results don't matter to the teacher unions. Results do matter to most teachers but they are handicapped by their unions.