Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    The Nationals got creative with financing. I'm pretty glad that the Tigers didn't fork over that kinda cash for an over 30 pitcher. It's gonna sting the first 2-3 years he's gone, but after that, I tihnk were gonna be happy we didn't give him that contract. It was the Prince Fielder scenario all over again.
    Now they can spread the wealth and go out and make some acquisitions that make more fiscal sense.

On a side note though. In the past Mike Illitch would have probably given the green light on a monster contract like that to chase that World Series ring he wants so badly. Anyone else thinking that maybe Mikey is slowly relinquishing control over to one of his sons and they are more into the financial aspect of running the team than the emotional? Just a thought...
    I agree with your thoughts.

The Tigers are near luxury tax threshold and I don't think want to cross it. I also think that Mike's successor will not spend like Mike himself has.

AND, there is a difference in saying: "Hey, we're this || close and Prince [[or whomever) will put us over the top."

Well Scherzer was already on the team and didn't put us 'over the top' so the dream aspect just isn't there. [[It probably is for the Nationals, though).
    Last edited by emu steve; January-21-15 at 09:23 AM.

Had every chance to win with him.....but, didn't come close at all! Keeping the same team will get you the same results, time for new players & strategy, the old just didn't work.....bye, good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    There's no salary cap in baseball.
    But there is the luxury tax you have to pay when your payroll hits X amount. I don't think the Tigers want to pay that. Other teams with more money to blow apparently don't have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    What kind of contract would DYes have been willing to give Denny McLain after his 30 win season in 1968? What kind of contract for Fydrich after his great season? That money would have been wasted in both cases.
    Knowing what we know now about them, yes, the money would've been wasted. I sometimes wonder how much McLain squirms when seeing these high priced contracts knowing his 1968 season was still probably the best in the last 50 years.

They got around the luxury tax by paying him $15MM per year for 14 [[?!?!) years. It's really $210 MM for 7 years, which is a ridiculous amount. Scott Boras wins again.

The Tigers should be happy that he's in the National League, at least. The Nats starting pitching will be the best in the league. They were close to that last year, and that didn't mean much.

I'd prefer the money be spent on a corner outfielder or bullpen.

[[BTW, I love the way sports unifies a group like DYes. Politics, schmolitics, LET'S GO TIGERS!)

I'd prefer the money [[some) be spent on a catcher......

[QUOTE=BankruptcyGuy;467407]They got around the luxury tax by paying him $15MM per year for 14 [[?!?!) years. It's really $210 MM for 7 years, which is a ridiculous amount. Scott Boras wins again.QUOTE]

Which is ridiculous that that's even an option. Its like when NHL clubs were handing out 20 year contracts and front loading them to circumvent the salary cap. This practice of paying someone $15M a year 10 years after he's playing is insanity.

So are they going to lower the flags to half mast at the ballpark ?

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    So are they going to lower the flags to half mast at the ballpark ?
    Not after seeing the Nats press conference to intorduce him. He said the reason he came to them was winning. Dude, you were already on a winning team that offered you a multi-million dollar contract. You just left for more money. Be honest with us all.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Not after seeing the Nats press conference to intorduce him. He said the reason he came to them was winning. Dude, you were already on a winning team that offered you a multi-million dollar contract. You just left for more money. Be honest with us all.
    I wouldn't bag on him too badly for that comment. That's the standard line for any any athlete signs with a team. If Max would've signed with the worst team in the league, he'd say he's there to win. So it happens he's on a team that also has some firepower and arms to boot.

He was on a team that offered him a multi-million dollar contract but he went to a team that offered up more. It was a business decision too. I can't blame the guy because if I was in his shoes I would've made the jump too.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Knowing what we know now about them, yes, the money would've been wasted. I sometimes wonder how much McLain squirms when seeing these high priced contracts knowing his 1968 season was still probably the best in the last 50 years.
    Scumbag McClain needs to squirm after robbing all those employees of their pensions in that scandal when he owned that meat packing company, or whatever it was. I lost all respect for the guy after that fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    They got around the luxury tax by paying him $15MM per year for 14 [[?!?!) years. It's really $210 MM for 7 years, which is a ridiculous amount. Scott Boras wins again.

The Tigers should be happy that he's in the National League, at least. The Nats starting pitching will be the best in the league. They were close to that last year, and that didn't mean much.

I'd prefer the money be spent on a corner outfielder or bullpen.

[[BTW, I love the way sports unifies a group like DYes. Politics, schmolitics, LET'S GO TIGERS!)
    They might have the best staff in baseball, but their offense isn't that great. They lost Adam LaRoche, and Jason Werth is out for the first part of the season due to shoulder surgery, and Bryce Harper is overrated IMO.

Picture worth 1000 words.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Picture worth 1000 words.....

Exactly. I really don't care about these contracts, but the cost of my basic cable goes up via surcharges to pay for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I wouldn't bag on him too badly for that comment. That's the standard line for any any athlete signs with a team. If Max would've signed with the worst team in the league, he'd say he's there to win. So it happens he's on a team that also has some firepower and arms to boot.

He was on a team that offered him a multi-million dollar contract but he went to a team that offered up more. It was a business decision too. I can't blame the guy because if I was in his shoes I would've made the jump too.
    Yeah, I know it's a standard line, but come on. How stupid do you think we are? Plus, when I said be honest with us all, I also wanted to include him in us all. Be honest with yourself too.

Default Touch of class from Max

Did y'all catch the header ad in todays web editions of the News and Freep? Nice touch of class, IMHO.

I agree. Local sports station was bitching about it this morning...."if it was such a privilege, why didn't he just stay" blah blah blah. Well, if you were offered $$$$, you'd probably leave too.
    Last edited by Maof; January-25-15 at 06:56 PM.

Problem is, the "newspaper ad goodbye", like so many other things these days is not in the least bit spontaneous. It's expected of any big name athlete when he leaves a city he's spent a few yrs. with and finds greener pastures [[pun intended) elsewhere.

Maybe so, don, but it's the first one I've ever noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Maybe so, don, but it's the first one I've ever noted.
    Certainly nothing wrong with the gesture. As an old guy like yourself, I get tired of the silly gestures like in the NHL now where the players are obligated to skate around and wave their sticks to the fans after every single win. When I think I see something new I later find out everybody started doing it a couple of months ago.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...84349003,d.eXY

How funny, many forgot about him last year.....who, what the name, can you spell it?

I personally think anyone who criticizes the ad is an idiot. He wanted to maximize his earning potential on what would likely be his last major contract in the MLB. If he'd spurned Detroit's offer for an extra $5 million, then yea, there would certainly be a lot of hurt feelings. But he didn't; the guy is gonna make an extra $70 million dolars and is moving to an equally if not better team than Detroit was/is.

His ad in the paper also is in no way a "gigantic middle finger" as some people have said to the city of Detroit. He states that he had a great time here and that he will cherish the memories. He's moving on to the next phase of his career, as we should all move on as well. Good luck to him in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I personally think anyone who criticizes the ad is an idiot. He wanted to maximize his earning potential on what would likely be his last major contract in the MLB. If he'd spurned Detroit's offer for an extra $5 million, then yea, there would certainly be a lot of hurt feelings. But he didn't; the guy is gonna make an extra $70 million dolars and is moving to an equally if not better team than Detroit was/is.

His ad in the paper also is in no way a "gigantic middle finger" as some people have said to the city of Detroit. He states that he had a great time here and that he will cherish the memories. He's moving on to the next phase of his career, as we should all move on as well. Good luck to him in the NL.
    Here here!

The man's moved on with his career. He took a huge risk in not taking the Tigers offer and banked on his season. He went where he thought he could do well as well as taking care of himself financially. He had a presser with his new team and spoke what any new player would and should say. I sense no malice on his part towards anyone. At what point was he being a prick? At what point was he being dishonest or flipping the bird to us?

Yeah, I get it. The Tigers have regressed a little bit with their chances to win the World Series because they no longer have him- but that's sheer speculation at this point too. Let's see how the rest of the team responds now. Maybe Dombrowski's tinkering will work and maybe it won't.

And like Maof said- how many of us wouldn't have jumped at that opportunity as well? It's like being dumped by a lover at this point for us. We got ditched for the prettier girl. I get the pain and the anger at Max, but let's get over that already. He made a choice and it wasn't us. Boo hoo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2