Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    So is the idea to create a working list of all the development going on in Greater Downtown?
    Here’s a list off the top of my head:

Under Construction
    1. Olde Building Renovation
    2. Security Trust Lofts Renovation
    3. Former United Way Building Renovation
    4. Capitol Park Building Renovation
    5. Smaller Capital Park Renovations
    6. 1505 Woodward
    7. Cary Building
    8. Briggs House [[Former Park Apartments)
    9. The Ashley [[is it finished now?)
    10. The DAC putting something on its roof.
    11. Medical building just north of Whole Foods.
    12. El Moore renovation.
    13. Strathmore renovation.
    14. Cass Plaza renovation.
    15. Wayne State Research Building.

Announced
    1. New Hockey Arena
    2. New Little Caesar’s HQ
    3. New Buildings along Woodward in front of Comerica
    4. New building fronting Grand Circus between Adams and Madison
    5. Other arena district development?
    6. Statler City Apartments
    7. The Griswold [[apartments on top of Book Cadillac parking garage)
    8. Hotel/apartment at Cass and Canfield
    9. Tiger Stadium redevelopment
    10. Gabriel Richard Building into apartments
    11. Former Wayne County Office Building at Clifford and Bagley into apartments
    12. Former Fire HQ into hotel

On Gilbert’s To Do List
    1. Vinton Building
    2. Parking garage/residential/retail at Monroe and Randolph.
    3. Hudson’s site
    4. East side of Broadway across from Punch Bowl Social
    5. Various buildings on Woodward.
    6. East side of Griswold between Grand River and Clifford

Rumored/Announced with Very Little Detail
    1. Joe Louis arena redevelopment [[hotel/residential)
    2. State Savings Bank/Car Museum
    3. New parking garage for Penobscot tenants
    4. Wurlitzer Building
    5. Metropolitan Building

Hoped For
    1. Book Tower
    2. Monroe Block
    3. UA Building
    4. Detroit Life Building
    5. Park Avenue Building
    6. Additional Corktown infill
    7. Tuller site
    8. Free Press Building
    9. A better landlord for the Stott Building
    10. A better landlord for the Penobscot Building

What did I miss?
    Exellent list only 2 I could come up with is are:

1300 Beaubien This one is on the clock with the creditors
    MCS Needs a new owner
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-20-15 at 12:57 AM.

Developers spend the extra money for the wow factor when they want to stand out in a tight real estate market. We aren't going to have that kind of market demand while buildings like the Book, Stott and Free Press stand empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    First let me say that I'm 100% pro-Detroit and pro-development. And I applaud the enthusiasm of Dyes posters. However, I feel that many who post here obsess about skyscrapers. Sorry to throw a bucket of cold water, but skyscrapers are not needed in Detroit at this time. What we need is low-rise mixed use infill buildings to cover the many vacant parcels in and around downtown. This is especially needed in the parking desert west of Woodward and north of GCP. Once we achieve that, and if there's still demand for new office/residential space, then and only then should building new skyscrapers be on the table.
    I agree height is generally overrated, I have to say my favorite big city is DC and they don't have any skyscrapers. And really the economics in Detroit just don't support building higher look recent new construction like 3900 Woodward, The Auburn and what new construction has proposed there is a reason why they aren't skyscrapers. I mean out of the OP's list the JLA is the only solid proposal likely to be of any significant height although I think we're headed into the right direction to support building higher.

Which is why I actually wonder if Detroit would be benefit over the long term from some discouraging high rise development with all the vacant land that is still is greater downtown area. In order to more quickly spread development. Sure this would happen naturally, but no major city has the issues of vacant land that we do. Take Woodbridge it's proximity to Midtown is a selling point to the neighborhood, but you haven't seen proposals for new construction in the area. The quicker land for development becomes in short supply in an area like Midtown the more the quickly you'd see interest for development in surrounding areas.
    Last edited by MSUguy; January-20-15 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    No other city had completely abandoned "old towers" like Detroit does/did...
    You're just a tall glass of optimism...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    You're just a tall glass of optimism...
    No, just being realistic about the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I agree height is generally overrated, I have to say my favorite big city is DC and they don't have any skyscrapers. And really the economics in Detroit just don't support building higher look recent new construction like 3900 Woodward, The Auburn and what new construction has proposed there is a reason why they aren't skyscrapers. I mean out of the OP's list the JLA is the only solid proposal likely to be of any significant height although I think we're headed into the right direction to support building higher.

Which is why I actually wonder if Detroit would be benefit over the long term from some discouraging high rise development with all the vacant land that is still is greater downtown area. In order to more quickly spread development. Sure this would happen naturally, but no major city has the issues of vacant land that we do. Take Woodbridge it's proximity to Midtown is a selling point to the neighborhood, but you haven't seen proposals for new construction in the area. The quicker land for development becomes in short supply in an area like Midtown the more the quickly you'd see interest for development in surrounding areas.

Other than straightforward implementation of traditional zoning that's in place, I would not support any additional regulation on height. I am willing to let the market determine things, in this respect. If anything, I might encourage a little more height in midtown [[I'm talking 10-20 stories), and for downtown, given that it's the CBD of a major city, the sky is the limit, and I think that we'll still accomplish infill, particularly if we continue the push of consolidating parking into tall garages with ground floor retail etc., not to mention the transit push, so we don't need as much parking.

DC has some excellent neighborhoods that really exemplify historic preservation well. That's a virtue. But it lacks a big city feeling, in my view. I have no desire to emulate it height-wise, though we can definitely take a few pages from its neighborhood preservation book. In fact, I think that in 10-20 years the demographics and fortunes of much of Detroit's neighborhoods city-wide will mirror DC.

To the above list, I would add as 'hoped for' the giant parking block on Randolph @ Fort. Entire blocks of surface parking have no place in the new Detroit, or even the present Detroit. That one is almost as galling to me as the Monroe Block, in that it disrupts the pedestrian flow between financial district and Bricktown. Interestingly, it also corresponds to a spot where our skyline could use some patching.

While we're in this neighborhood, is the Old County Building on the list? And what is its status, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    To the above list, I would add as 'hoped for' the giant parking block on Randolph @ Fort. Entire blocks of surface parking have no place in the new Detroit, or even the present Detroit. That one is almost as galling to me as the Monroe Block, in that it disrupts the pedestrian flow between financial district and Bricktown. Interestingly, it also corresponds to a spot where our skyline could use some patching.

While we're in this neighborhood, is the Old County Building on the list? And what is its status, anyway?
    According to this Crain's article from last summer [[http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...r-13-4-million) the building, the land, and the parking lot across Fort were all sold to a group from New York last summer. It's a lot of money to pay for an empty building, so they must have plans for it, but the only thing they told Crain's was "Single Tenant Occupancy" - presumably they have someone in mind??

I would put that under "Rumored/Announced with Very Little Detail" on my original list.

As for the parking lot, hasn't that parking lot been there forever? My recollection is that that lot and the one between Madison and Adams on Grand Circus Park date back a long time, based on old photography. But it's still a prime development site.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    First let me say that I'm 100% pro-Detroit and pro-development. And I applaud the enthusiasm of Dyes posters. However, I feel that many who post here obsess about skyscrapers. Sorry to throw a bucket of cold water, but skyscrapers are not needed in Detroit at this time. What we need is low-rise mixed use infill buildings to cover the many vacant parcels in and around downtown. This is especially needed in the parking desert west of Woodward and north of GCP. Once we achieve that, and if there's still demand for new office/residential space, then and only then should building new skyscrapers be on the table.
    i totally agree. I believe you can render a remarkable plan for a parcel without it being high-rise. The proposals have just been a little lack-luster. Don't get me wrong, I am ALLLLL for the progress that is going on [[and maybe I'm a little anxious for the turn-around. see example--almost like how parents want the best for their child)... i just want us to come back with a BANG, versus a [[whisper) bang.

all i'm saying is: detroit used to be referred to as the "paris of the americas." Why don't we bring that glitz and glamour and "ooh" and "ahh" type of feeling back with these new proposals?...then maybe detroit will get recognized for something else [[besides the exhausting "motor city" claim to fame). Let's be honest, many people who have never been to cities like new york, miami, chicago, toronto, etc... have only nice things to say just off of appeal and hear-say. i just want the same thing for us, i guess. that is all. and don't even say "well when detroit gets its crime in order, maybe we'll be up there too." All of those cities DEFINITELY have their fair share of crime and shadiness--believe me i used to live in Miami and its not what its painted to be as far as safety, whatsoever, but was a heck of a lot of fun. --
    Last edited by Jayp213; January-20-15 at 08:20 PM.

Error
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-21-15 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp213 View Post
    all i'm saying is: detroit used to be referred to as the "paris of the americas." Why don't we bring that glitz and glamour and "ooh" and "ahh" type of feeling back with these new proposals?...then maybe detroit will get recognized for something else [[besides the exhausting "motor city" claim to fame). Let's be honest, many people who have never been to cities like new york, miami, chicago, toronto, etc... have only nice things to say just off of appeal and hear-say. i just want the same thing for us, i guess. that is all. and don't even say "well when detroit gets its crime in order, maybe we'll be up there too." All of those cities DEFINITELY have their fair share of crime and shadiness--believe me i used to live in Miami and its not what its painted to be as far as safety, whatsoever, but was a heck of a lot of fun. --
    It used to be all big cities wanted to be the "Paris of Somewhere Else". Now they would all be happy enough to be another Brooklyn or Portland, lol.

Well... 8 1/2 months after this thread was thrown up the Book Tower/Building and the David Stott building are heading towards total renovation. We could be getting closer to new construction high-rise then previously thought.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; September-05-15 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Well... 8 1/2 months after this thread was thrown up the Book Tower/Building and the David Stott building are heading towards total renovation. We could be getting closer to new construction high-rise then previously thought.
    Yes, you're right! With both of these buildings currently under renovations, what other building is left for rehabbed if not already being renovated? So, I agree that soon we will see new construction. Hopefully adding to our skyline and to have more room for further development. So rather build wide with only 5 story, build up and create density in a smaller blueprint.

I read a article stating Detroit's downtown market area can support up to 10,000 new residential development a year. Currently we have a tons of new residential development under way as I write this, maybe close to 2,000 new units by year 2018. But I feel that's not enough to keep up the demands.

So with that being said, I feel the market for new residential development highrises downtown will start sooner than later. Maybe from 10 story tall to max 40 story buildings. The question is where?

Here's my potential sites:

Much of the surface parking lots in and around greektown/court district.

Bates Garage site.

Monroe Block.

Former Lafayette building site.

Tuller site.

Fine Arts building site.

Statler site.

The two large surface parking lots across from the old Free Press building and Supreme Court House.

Much of the land behind the Fox Theater.

Surface parking lots around the Rosa Parks Transit Center.

I dont care too much about height, some sites I've named can and should support something taller that 5 story building. Look how the Statler site planned development turned out...not good. We can learn a thing or two about placement of proper development and the overall success it can become. Its time to be innovative and pratical when building new development downtown nowadays.
    Last edited by gthomas; November-08-15 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I agree, if you gave me a hundred floors I would split it up into five to eight buildings in a heartbeat. I think we are just having a little fun and sharing some architecture. You have to crawl before you can walk.
    Are you refering to the RenCen?

Rumor has it, the Hudsons site possible 60- story skyscraper is only the beginning of what's to come. I hear that, after the start of construction on Hudson site plans will be unveiled for the Monroe block. Possible mixed use, hotel and office is planned. It will be the next skyscraper, proposed 40-50 story. Bates site is to follow after that, possible garage and residential. Not sure if a skyscraper is planned on that site.

I can't remember, but DG owns the Monroe site, correct?

In a perfect world, he'd develop these sites, but also could wrangle the Statler site away from the current developer and put up something meaningful on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Rumor has it, the Hudsons site possible 60- story skyscraper is only the beginning of what's to come. I hear that, after the start of construction on Hudson site plans will be unveiled for the Monroe block. Possible mixed use, hotel and office is planned. It will be the next skyscraper, proposed 40-50 story. Bates site is to follow after that, possible garage and residential. Not sure if a skyscraper is planned on that site.
    How legit are the sources you hear this from? It would be fantastic to see something large at the Monroe site. I have always been hopeful for something as high as the Ren Cen if not taking the mantle of tallest in the city there.

As for Bates I was under the impression that once they are done using it for the M1 rail that they would be building a new parking garage with the possibility of 5-10 stories of residential on top. That may have changed though.

Dan Gilbert does own the Monroe site too, along with Bates. My sources are pretty accurate, I know a few friends who work for quicken loans and bedrock. Its going around that announcements is coming soon within months.

Hope DG does get the Statler site, it deserve something more grand than what's proposed for that particular location.

If things goes as planned by DG, we could have a few dramatic skyline changers by 2025.

What are the odds of simultaneous construction? Hudson's is supposed to be completed sometime in 2020 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Dan Gilbert does own the Monroe site too, along with Bates. My sources are pretty accurate, I know a few friends who work for quicken loans and bedrock. Its going around that announcements is coming soon within months.

Hope DG does get the Statler site, it deserve something more grand than what's proposed for that particular location.

If things goes as planned by DG, we could have a few dramatic skyline changers by 2025.
    IIRC the DDA owns both Hudson and Monroe Blocks. DG has rights to develop them. He does own the Bates site though.

Per Eric Larson, CEO of DDP the Statler site will be breaking ground next month. This was announced at the Downtown Detroit Partnership stakeholder meeting last Monday. The Statler site is still being developed by Jon Holtzman. The photos shown were the exact ones we've seen for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalescotty23 View Post
    Per Eric Larson, CEO of DDP the Statler site will be breaking ground next month. This was announced at the Downtown Detroit Partnership stakeholder meeting last Monday. The Statler site is still being developed by Jon Holtzman. The photos shown were the exact ones we've seen for three years.
    Well that is incredibly depressing to say the least.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2016/11/18/dan-gilbert-runs-low-downtown-space-may-spill-workers-back-burbs/94088944/

I'm starting to think that gthomas is onto something. If the 10 million square feet estimate is accurate we might see a few office high rises sprout up.

The article also mentions the possibility of temporarily using Class B space... so perhaps the Penobscot and Buhl buildings will receive a bump in their occupancy levels from this.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2016/11/18/dan-gilbert-runs-low-downtown-space-may-spill-workers-back-burbs/94088944/

I'm starting to think that gthomas is onto something. If the 10 million square feet estimate is accurate we might see a few office high rises sprout up.
    Its happening eventually, just don't know the timeline. We will definitely see up to 5 to 10 new highrises within 10 years. Should be more, but that's a pipe dream.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast