Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
Parts of Ferndale are dong well, other parts not so much. West of Woodward has some nice housing stock, east of Woodward has always been more Hazel Park-ish, with lots of Appalachian whites.
I'd draw the line at the railroad tracks, not at Woodward. East of the railroad tracks, the neighborhoods connect physically to Hazel Park and a good chunk of that is Hazel Park schools. That part of Ferndale is certainly less desirable than the rest.

Between Woodward and the railroad tracks, the houses are smaller than west of Woodward, but it's not a bad area by any stretch of the imagination. And the trend arrow is up.

Ferndale Schools are making a big push to get the affluent families in the district to send their kids to school there. Notice all of the "Eagle Pride" banners and signs around town, including in the yards of families with kids in FPS. That, combined with the large number of young [[straight!) couples and babies/toddlers/preschoolers in town, and FPS could see a substantial turnaround.

I know quite a few families that have decided to send their kids to FPS and are happy with the decision. I also know some Ferndale families that send their kids to Shrine and other private schools. I don't know any personally who have moved out of Ferndale when their kids hit school age, but I don't deny that that happens.

Regardless, I think the demographics for a quality school district exist within the Ferndale PS boundaries.