I thought it'd be interesting to get people's thoughts and recollections on these two cities. Both are basically ignored by the media and other writers, but if you want a vintage glimpse at classic working class Detroit industrial neighborhoods, this is it. River Rouge is a gritty, old school Detroit neighborhood in all but name.

And it, along with Ecorse, is fading away right before our eyes. Jefferson, the big strip in both of those communities, has lost scores of businesses. More homes are being torn down or boarded up. It's strange to me that with all the supposed interest in urban areas and all the talk about how great Detroit was, there are no tears shed over these two historic communities.

In a way, it's so Detroit that in the places where people really try to fight to stay, we practically kick 'em out. In this case, the boot is heavy industry, which has been increasingly concentrated Downriver while old industrial areas in abandoned sections Detroit are left to rot. You only have to smell RR to understand why it's doomed, but it didn't have to be that way.

I don't know where else this post can go, so I guess I'll just crack a metaphorical digital beer to RR and Ecorse. Here's to you.