What are some of your most memorable eccentric characters from Detroit [[forum posters respectfully excluded as topic material)? They can be locals, street people, T.V. personalities, musicians, artists, chefs, bartenders, politicians, socialites, or parade filler. Were they at bars, waiting at line at the banks, a regular fixture at the 4th St. Fair or Dally in the Alley?
One off the top of my head would be Bob the Singing Bass Player. I'd see him come into the Gold Dollar with his beat-up puffy hat [[swore I thought I saw a hint of tin foil sticking out from under it). Ever environmentally vigilant, he'd sing songs like "Additives Schmadditives!" I still have a copy of "Waiting for Goddard".
I also remember Terry "The Electric Lung", who would walk around Wayne State or in front of the State Theater [[oh, uh, Fillmore) with his beat up 4-string guitar with all the stickers on it. He'd take requests and launch right into a Zappa, Funkadelic, Motown, or Sabbath song, reciting the lyrics precisely at double time. Real class and soul there. No lie.