Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Do you ever have anything positive to say about Detroit? Why do you even post here? You seem like a very negative person.
    Negative or not, I'm sure most of what he said in that post is in fact accurate...

Default Target Canada seeking bankruptcy protection

Hot off the newswire: "Target says it plans to discontinue all operations in Canada and has been granted protection from creditors, less than two years after opening to much fanfare." from the National Post.
    Could it be that we've been wrong all along about putting our faith in giant national retail chains reviving downtown Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    Hot off the newswire: "Target says it plans to discontinue all operations in Canada and has been granted protection from creditors, less than two years after opening to much fanfare." from the National Post.
    Could it be that we've been wrong all along about putting our faith in giant national retail chains reviving downtown Detroit?
    No because Target screwed up with Canada. City Targets seem to be doing well. Target Canada never, not once, ever seemed to be doing well. They were doomed since their doors opened.

Still making sense of the Canada-Target thing. For one thing, Target sucked in Canada. They did a poor rollout, and Canadians did not like them. While I have no idea about their profitability and sustainability, I can say with confidence that it's one of the better discount big boxes in the US. If, nonetheless, its finances are bad, then I suppose we shouldn't be too eager to have them. Nonetheless, if they committed to space and operated therein for, say, 10 years, and then the corporation went bust, Detroit is still better off, and if the Detroit location did well than it would be replaced by a comparable retailer. So I am not sure how material their corporate health really is to our equation.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    It might actually give Target a better chance to focus on moving into urban areas in the US assuming Target is actually more profitable after leaving Canada [[and the head honchos are actually smart). So this sort of news doesn't really discount any possibility.

Though to say Target would "revitalize" downtown Detroit is a misnomer, I think. It's more likely Target would come in after there's been mass revitalization already.

Panini Press, formerly at 12 Mile and Woodward in Berkley, is headed Downtown in the Spring...so maybe that is one of Gilbert's businesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Panini Press, formerly at 12 Mile and Woodward in Berkley, is headed Downtown in the Spring...so maybe that is one of Gilbert's businesses?
    Well even so, I wouldn't consider that place "big-name" or "major" [[which is the main gripe I have with Gilbert about his "announcement"l.

A panini is always a major deal.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    A panini is always a major deal.
    Nothing truer has ever been spoken........

Becthya thought this was an announcement.

LOL I'm holding with bated breath...

I would love to see Bright Ideas in Royal Oak open a store in downtown Detroit

i hope a Rag & Bone spurs from John Varvatos coming to town ... or maybe even a ZARA . if we could get a national specialty retailer like ZARA to come here, then the rest is history. It would be the only ZARA in Michigan. Gilbert needs to pry for a company like them, or even H&M to get downtown.
    Last edited by Jayp213; February-28-15 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp213 View Post
    i hope a Rag & Bone spurs from John Varvatos coming to town ... or maybe even a ZARA . if we could get a national specialty retailer like ZARA to come here, then the rest is history. It would be the only ZARA in Michigan. Gilbert needs to pry for a company like them, or even H&M to get downtown.
    Or a Dillards...

so... sorry for being "that guy"... and maybe i am just impatient, but its been about a month and a half since the announcement that more big-name retailers were going to be announced in "a few weeks" from the release of the statement... I wonder if he thought he had the retailers secure and things weren't really as finalized as he planned? or maybe he's waiting on enough retailers for a "shock" factor that will get us all excited?... hmm. stop choking my chicken, gilbert! lol

Zara or a Uniqlo would be a good differentiator to what's in the suburban malls. If Detroit could score a Uniqlo it would be the first US location outside of New York and California. But Detroit would probably need something like an Apple Store to commit before either Zara or Uniqlo would enter.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Zara or a Uniqlo would be a good differentiator to what's in the suburban malls. If Detroit could score a Uniqlo it would be the first US location outside of New York and California. But Detroit would probably need something like an Apple Store to commit before either Zara or Uniqlo would enter.
    that would be great! i honestly think once that lovely H&M hits, and if they make it a flagship store [[which would be ideal considering the proximity to canada/canadian visitors), the games will begin with the retailers because it will do phenomenally. Especially with how amazing/cheap the prices are at h&m, thats a bulls-eye for success with the Wayne State kids on a budget that need some new threads. and everyone who lives downtown/midtown that doesn't want to drive to fairlane, great lakes crossing, or 12 oaks to get some h&m shopping done...

so... sorry for being "that guy"... and maybe i am just impatient, but its been about a month and a half since the announcement that more big-name retailers were going to be announced in "a few weeks" from the release of the statement... I wonder if he thought he had the retailers secure and things weren't really as finalized as he planned? or maybe he's waiting on enough retailers for a "shock" factor that will get us all excited?... hmm. stop choking my chicken, gilbert! lol
    I'm "that guy" too, I think. This is an example of why I hate "announcing that there will be an announcement" in "a few weeks". It seems that 9 times out of 10, the "few weeks" come and go and there is no announcement, because the "pre-announcement" was premature.

1) Dillard's is a suburban department store. Their locales are uniformly in malls, they're not gonna suddenly open up shop in a market they don't know in a district they're not used to. Just because they could be an anchor for downtown shopping doesn't mean they see the profit or know how to do it. Bloomingdale's or Barneys would do better. Brands everyone knows and they know downtowns. And they aren't found with 300 miles, makes it a plus for Ohioans, Ontarians, and northern Michiganders.

2) Uniqlo also has a location in Center City Philadelphia. As I've said before, them and Century 21 department store would be awesome.

3) H&M would be nice too. A downtown store would be much closer and more easily accessible to me, and other along the Woodward corridor, than 12 Oaks or Great Lakes.

4) I am "that" guy too. These "announcements" are the bane of many a metro Detroiters existence. Don't give a time frame if you can't actually follow through on it.

I am that guy too. Never trust in announcements soon in Detroit such you should not trust opening soon

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    1) Dillard's is a suburban department store. Their locales are uniformly in malls, they're not gonna suddenly open up shop in a market they don't know in a district they're not used to. Just because they could be an anchor for downtown shopping doesn't mean they see the profit or know how to do it. Bloomingdale's or Barneys would do better. Brands everyone knows and they know downtowns. And they aren't found with 300 miles, makes it a plus for Ohioans, Ontarians, and northern Michiganders.
    Fair points. I just like to throw it out there when we're all dreaming [[emphasis on dreaming) of major retailers we'd like to see downtown...

BTW, there are several H&Ms in suburban Detroit. Not exactly something I would expect as an anchor for Woodward Avenue. An anchor implies a store that will draw shoppers from all over. Suburbanites know they won't have to venture all the way downtown to shop at a H&M. This is partially what led to the death of Hudson's flagship store, as it was cannibalized by the easily accessible Eastland/Northland stores being in such close proximity to it.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-28-15 at 06:25 PM.

i think Uniqlo has plans on opening a chicago store in fall of 2015, if im not mistaken. hopefully it wont be a midtown/downtown Walmart . don't laugh, up-and-coming Midtown Miami is getting their own urban-style walmart and its A LOT of uproar about it. the funny thing is, is that their midtown Target is literally a few storefronts down from it. :-l... but oddly-enough, i wonder if a downtown urban-style walmart would do a bit a good for OUR city as far as potential retailers?... perhaps entice Target to want to open a city target nearby or something?
    Last edited by Jayp213; February-28-15 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Fair points. I just like to throw it out there when we're all dreaming [[emphasis on dreaming) of major retailers we'd like to see downtown...

BTW, there are several H&Ms in suburban Detroit. Not exactly something I would expect as an anchor for Woodward Avenue. An anchor implies a store that will draw shoppers from all over. Suburbanites know they won't have to venture all the way downtown to shop at a H&M. This is partially what led to the death of Hudson's flagship store, as it was cannibalized by the easily accessible Eastland/Northland stores being in such close proximity to it.
    true. i can agree with that. but with the new buildings being proposed/built and the current occupancy rate of downtown lofts/apartments [[not to mention ALL of the residential proposed for the new red wings district which will more than likely attract young renters), an H&M would do QUITE well for the people it would support...especially those who will fully utilize the m-1 rail for their travels along woodward. once that gets up-and-running, youngsters [[or maybe anyone for that matter) are going to say WTF to the idea of having to drive all the way to west-hell at 12 oaks mall just to go buy a $12.00 top they've been having their eye on before they head out for a night on the town... at least they'll be able to get a pair of $200+ shoes at the new John Varvatos opening up lol
    Last edited by Jayp213; February-28-15 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am that guy too. Never trust in announcements soon in Detroit such you should not trust opening soon
    So true. One store opening in March? That's it? People are willing to travel from all around for they, not the. Looks like I'm moving to Seattle

The city put small business and retailers through too many red tapes to open. The final hoop that retailers had to go through in the past is the inspectors to show the week of or the day before opening day. There had been times when the inspectors just didn't show to give the final nod for the business to open when schedule. This practice had caused businesses to wait a day to evens weeks for the inspection to be complete. The second hoop is the inspectors finding a violation at the very last second prolonging the opening date. These practices were reportely being done after Barbara McQuaid had sent some inspectors to jail a few years back

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast