Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
I take it that SMART is the suburban bus system and I know DDOT is the city bus system. It's not any different here, there are two bus systems, PACE and CTA then Metra and CTA trains.

What my question though is, if they are coming inbound into the city of Detroit where are they picking up or dropping off passengers if there is an ordinance? Same question for outbound trips.

Wouldn't they do their loop at the city limits and then head back to the other end of the route?
If you read the ordinance quote above, the prohibition is against "... what is commonly called a local business." The suburban system thus cannot provide local service in town, but can drop off passengers from outside the system into Detroit. And can pickup in the city, but not drop off elsewhere within the city -- but must keep the passengers on the bus until they have left. Thus, they are not running a local service, but an 'express' service to the suburbs, if you will.

The suburban system [[SMART) does a decent business helping the suburban residents who want to work downtown.